Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
:laugh:

Sorry bud, I'm not interested in having this conversation with you at this point.
Because you can't give more examples and your whole premise relies on "trust me, bro."

If you're going to claim the public models are objectively wrong you're going to need to give me more than just what another Rangers fan provides.

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
Don’t think NYR has a great chance against Florida. They were exposed at 5v5 again, their PP cooled off as the series went along, and they will be facing a much better goaltender. Shesterkin was very beatable all series.

Their fans were chanting we want Boston after the game because they know they don’t have much of a chance against Florida too.
Every series there is a fan that says this. Embarrassing

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I didn't either. Then again, I felt the same about the PP Carolina scored on earlier in the game. Let that weak nonsense go in the playoffs and let the kids play.
Yeah I thought that call on Kreider was weak...it as a little push that happens all the time. Carolina benefited from a soft call and so did the Rangers. So it goes in the NHL and playoffs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don’t think NYR has a great chance against Florida. They were exposed at 5v5 again, their PP cooled off as the series went along, and they will be facing a much better goaltender. Shesterkin was very beatable all series.

Their fans were chanting we want Boston after the game because they know they don’t have much of a chance against Florida too.
They were chanting we want Boston because of the general Boston vs NYC sports rivalry. Would not have mattered if the Boston Panthers were playing the Florida Bruins.

A Rangers vs Bruins and Knicks vs Celtics combo would be electric for the area/fan bases. Has nothing to do with not wanting to play the Panthers, although I am fairly positive people will read otherwise into it.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
A bit puzzling why people are saying that Panthers will destroy Rangers when Panthers are struggling vs Bruins who are a far worse team than Rangers in just about every aspect.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
A bit puzzling why people are saying that Panthers will destroy Rangers when Panthers are struggling vs Bruins who are a far worse team than Rangers in just about every aspect.
Who knows, Panthers are a good team though. Boston might be more stout defensively than the Rangers too.

Rangers just kinda...find ways to get things done, and it's not always pretty. I think they will have to clean up some of their defensive miscues no matter who they end up playing though

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Bro, why do you keep putting Cup in quotes?
It's important, and one of my "Perks" that makes us all S.P.E.C.I.A.L. within hockey's wasteland.

Seriously though, just think "Stanley Cup" deserves this respect because "Stanley Cup" is one of hardest trophies in any sports to win. Nothing major to it, or any disrespect meant, it's just a respect thing on my part.

• Haha
Reactions: McWeaselnubs

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Who knows, Panthers are a good team though. Boston might be more stout defensively than the Rangers too.

Rangers just kinda...find ways to get things done, and it's not always pretty. I think they will have to clean up some of their defensive miscues no matter who they end up playing though

I really don't understand what happened to their net front coverage over the last 3 games.

Oh look, another private analytics model that shows the Rangers getting the better of the quality.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If you watch the 1st Rangers goal, Andersen made a nice save while being screened, so he had no idea where the puck went. He couldn't control the rebound as he normally would seeing the shot. You can tell from his stance he was searching for it. All the players were in the middle so he stayed where he was. He slipped because he was late finding the puck before it was too late.

The turnover to Panarin was just brutal. Panarin saw that he was still searching for it and ripped it as soon as he got it. That's the kind of puck management that costs you games. Also the ice was horrendous the entire night. Was it hot and humid in Carolina yesterday?

Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I really don't understand what happened to their net front coverage over the last 3 games.

Oh look, another private analytics model that shows the Rangers getting the better of the quality.

1715965278006.png

haha

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
Because you can't give more examples and your whole premise relies on "trust me, bro."

If you're going to claim the public models are objectively wrong you're going to need to give me more than just what another Rangers fan provides.
There are now 3 different models posted in this thread that show the Rangers having more inner slot and high danger chances. It’s not as cut and dry as you think it is. How many models do you have the other way. Because you are asking people to keep providing more and more proof while you provide nothing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There are now 3 different models posted in this thread that show the Rangers having more inner slot and high danger chances. It’s not as cut and dry as you think it is. How many models do you have the other way. Because you are asking people to keep providing more and more proof while you provide nothing.
I mean, Carolina does look like they control games handily. They kinda do it to most other teams though not just the Rangers. It's certainly harder to disassociate your analysis from the eye test when your eye test says "wow that team looks like the more aggressive team that's always getting the puck and putting it on net". What most people have also been conditioned to believe over the past several years is that surface level possession metrics = better chance at winning =therefor to win you must have good surface level possession metrics. Digging deeper into shot/chance quality is still evolving and not as intuitive to see versus watching a team dominate the traditional possession game like Carolina does. Having to go back and grade the shot chances to see who's really making the best chances and capitalizing on them is more involved.

Reactions: qwertyaas

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah I thought that call on Kreider was weak...it as a little push that happens all the time. Carolina benefited from a soft call and so did the Rangers. So it goes in the NHL and playoffs
It's a great testament to how tight and controlled game both teams were playing by the game 6 when these iffies were pretty much the only penalties called. Staying out the box was imperative to both.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Rangers really need COL/BOS to advance, if that happens I think they go 8-1 or 8-2 rest of way. Its a way different story if they have to go through FLA and DAL though. I'd still lean towards them winning it all but it might be more like an 8-6 or 8-7 type thing
I’d rather face Dallas than Colorado. Col is too fast

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
I mean, Carolina does look like they control games handily. They kinda do it to most other teams though not just the Rangers. It's certainly harder to disassociate your analysis from the eye test when your eye test says "wow that team looks like the more aggressive team that's always getting the puck and putting it on net". What most people have also been conditioned to believe over the past several years is that surface level possession metrics = better chance at winning =therefor to win you must have good surface level possession metrics. Digging deeper into shot/chance quality is still evolving and not as intuitive to see versus watching a team dominate the traditional possession game like Carolina does. Having to go back and grade the shot chances to see who's really making the best chances and capitalizing on them is more involved.
Agree. Shot quality vs Shot total is a large part.

50 shots that a goalie can clearly see may paint one picture on Analytics and possession, but another picture when grading shot quality and scoring changes. That's why we saw the disparity in analytics in games 1/2/3/4. Even before the analytics came out, I think it was obviously called out that the Canes shot quality in games 1 and 2 were subpar.

Game 5 I think we can all agree was completely controlled by Carolina.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
That Shane Diesel poster sure clowned himself in this thread.

Hey, tough guy, how come the team with the "superior talent" now lost back 2 back series against the Rangers? Have any model to explain that?

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Metro always gets hype because big market NYR, and then the duo of Pitt/Crosby and Wash/OV. And Carolina's big regular season and balanced team approach always makes them a cup favourite too.

Dallas is a solid team for years and you have hardly any media people ever talking about them.

For those of you who arent Canadian, TSN and Sportsnet pecking order of hockey playoff coverage hype-o-meter is this:

- Canadian teams by far (especially Leafs and Edmonton McDavid gravy train)
- Pitt and Crosby.... from Cole Harbour NS for the millionth time
- Colorado and MacKinnon
- Washington and OV
- Boston and whatever funny stuff Marchand does
- NYR
- Everyone else gets as little coverage as possible aside from standard game highlights. Nashville can go 82-0 and Forberg has 150 pts and they still wouldnt show them often.
Great post
I have center ice and pick what ever I want on any given night as my game if the night.
Habs are my team but I haven't watched them in years. Since Molson and Bergevin put them in the toilet. The summer where Molson was pumping better hot dogs and family experience after another dreadful season was the when I flushed them out of the game of the night.
Games I find myself watching the most over the past 5 or 6 years :
Pens
Bruins
Aves
Oilers
Bolts
I never watch the leafs or the Caps.

Play offs I follow everybody.....and I always like seeing who's turn it is to beat out the leafs in the first round.

Pens are falling off my list cause I feel like it's 5 years of reruns under Sullivan

Last edited:
Reactions: 647Hockey

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Marner and Aho stats during playoffs are not that far away from each other if i remember correctly, but Marner just does not have it what it takes for playoffs. Just watch him play during playoffs. If you wanna switch Aho there is zero f***ing reason to switch him to Marner. Things would only get worse
I’m saying add Marner to Aho.

I would agree with this if their top line wasn't amazing this series, Svech-Aho-Guentzel were elite. Re-sign Guentzel and let some of their UFA's walk, hope that Jarvis/Necas take bridges and you can go in one last time within a window with this core. They're also adding Nishikin very soon who could become a top 5 PP QB in the league at his ceiling
Their top scorer is tied for 12th in playoff scoring. That’s not going to get the job done.

I have no issue with your plan for them as I feel they are no threat to the Rangers that way.

Nikishin is joining them next playoffs at the earliest and Russia will probably object to it because they’ll want him for the World Championships anyway, so probably the 2025-2026 season.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

That chart doesn't count. I did alot of thinking and I have come to the conclusion that the series was a fluke, no disrespect to NYR. The NHL should consider replaying the series because CAR losing is not fair and does a disservice to the models. If the Rangers win the series again I might concede but it would depend on how lucky they got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad