Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rob Brind'Amor tenure 2018 - 2024

Hurricanes have gotten through the 1st round 6 x in a row now, but.. once through the 2nd round..
3 division titles, nothing more.

6 years is a long time, maybe its time for them to change the tune?
They have a ton of RFAs and UFAs, so the team is going to change regardless. It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Rangers won 1 period of this game. Took Andersen allowing two of the worst goals I’ve ever seen to keep them alive tonight.

Rod Dumb-da-more had to start Andersen 3 too many times this series. Face it - Shesterkin is the only reason the Rangers are moving on to be obliterated in 5 by the Panthers.
Carolina can add the “won 17 out of 18 periods” banner next to the banner they put up last year when Rod told us they didn’t get swept by Florida when they did

If that was actually the case, they’d still be playing.

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
Every Ranger fan that’s paying attention cringes at the fact that he’s the captain of the team and admits that he’s easily our worst defenseman. The only way we’ll tolerate him not being traded this offseason is if we win the Cup.
Please don’t speak for all Rangers fans. Trouba brings an element this team needs. He is not Mess but he is a LEADER. He has single handedly turned games and series around. He makes mistakes like everyone else on the ice- probably trying to do too much. See: Miller, Panarin, etc. He is our toughest defenceman- last time I checked, you need that in the playoffs.

He is the Captain on the Presidents Cup trophy team and the best Rangers team I have seen in 30 years. He is an nhlpa rep and a huge supporter in the community and for charity. Lets put things in perspective here.

Has anyone seen Fox this year btw?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Rangers won 1 period of this game. Took Andersen allowing two of the worst goals I’ve ever seen to keep them alive tonight.

Rod Dumb-da-more had to start Andersen 3 too many times this series. Face it - Shesterkin is the only reason the Rangers are moving on to be obliterated in 5 by the Panthers.
Shesty is better than bobrovsky too though

Are canes fans turning on Rod? I think most people have him as the best coach in the league
Canes were competetive in every game they lost against the rangers. They’d be dumb to turn on him. Powerplay needs work though.

They need better goaltending and maybe one more elite scorer. But rod got the best out of his players which is all you could ask for. Aho in particular was deadly.

I don’t think they lost because they were outcoached. Not even a little bit. At worst, they were outplayed on special teams and hit one too many posts in last nights game.

As a rangers fan, nothing but respect to the canes.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Canes had their way for 2 periods, and it sure looked like a game 7
Then the Rangers took over, congrats to the series win. That 3rd was a huge period for the Rangers, and not so much for Freddy Anderson.

Reactions: tlk

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
The Canes had me legitimately worried that they were going to force game 7 and pull off the reverse sweep. That was a hell of a series (that should have been the Eastern Conference Final, but I digress)!

Kreider's 3rd period was a performance for the ages, he channeled his inner Messier and stepped up big time. Wow, what a comeback!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not going to worry about who the Rangers next opponent will be. Will get a little extra rest, believe Game 1 is Tuesday? Some players are banged up and could use the extra rest. After that 3rd period, I believe anything is possible and think Round 2 has been an excellent round for all 4 series.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Best of luck my friend. This series may have a different outcome if Pesce isn't injured. It was that close.
Would of loved this series even more with a healthy Pesce and a healthy Chytil.

Thank you. Your team or my team had me swearing off watching sports ever again for two periods.
We wouldn't let you bro.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Rangers - beast of the east. Why?
Because not playing their best hockey they have beaten a very very good and energetic Canes team. They've got size, speed, talent and exceptional goaltending.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019

Agree, Canes need better goal-tending but they also need "It Factor"players who can score when it matters during playoffs (AKA - 20'-21' healthy Brayden Point). Lightning's playoff Point scored such timing goals during biggest moments. Later in playoffs: Any team wanting "Cup" increases odds 10-fold with "It Factor" goals + decent goal-tending. Without "It Factor" goals, team need ungodly goalie play all-the-time.

Guentzel was OK addition but hasn't done "It Factor" playoff play since 2017 or so. Canes needed playoff "It Factor" scoring during cores window lately, but they haven't gotten it. Goal-tending deserves some of blame, but Canes seem to lose..... "Next goal wins game" battles when facing better/deeper teams, who have "It Factor" goal-scoring. Having that helps any goaltender out late in games. More than not, teams have much talent later in playoffs, to leave cracks of light open. Great teams will take advantage and storm through cracks of light!

Goalies are like Pitchers in Baseball: goalies can swing any game and huge part within winning -vs- losing equation. Pitchers get all the blame when teams light it up at the plate, but like goalies, they deserve all the credit when keeping opponents off scoreboard. Goalies and pitchers are major part of equation on teams. Shesterkin will decide if Rangers win or lose next round, but that's no different than when a pitcher decreases win chances stinking at plate? Still takes players in front of goalie, and standing behind pitcher, to make plays though. Not just any plays, but making few "It Factor" plays increases odds so much.

Good luck Cane Nation, maybe shake-up gets team over hump. Marchessault could bring Canes playoff scoring "It Factor" needed. With cap space opening up for Canes. This could happen, but he's looking for last payday at 33 yrs old. Long-term risk -vs- Short-term gain? But....any "Cup" is worth future loses though. There are NHL fans bases who'd give up every 1st rd pick next 5 yrs for "Cup" run memories.

Reactions: tlk and egelband

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Don’t think NYR has a great chance against Florida. They were exposed at 5v5 again, their PP cooled off as the series went along, and they will be facing a much better goaltender. Shesterkin was very beatable all series.

Their fans were chanting we want Boston after the game because they know they don’t have much of a chance against Florida too.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Their fans were chanting we want Boston after the game because they know they don’t have much of a chance against Florida too.
Oh goodie, I love when dumb fans chant "we want ____" it makes it even funnier when karma pays them a visit 😂🤣

Reactions: trilobyte

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Agree, Canes need better goal-tending but they also need "It Factor"players who can score when it matters during playoffs (AKA - 20'-21' healthy Brayden Point). Lightning's playoff Point scored such timing goals during biggest moments. Later in playoffs: Any team wanting "Cup" increases odds 10-fold with "It Factor" goals + decent goal-tending. Without "It Factor" goals, team need ungodly goalie play all-the-time.

Guentzel was OK addition but hasn't done "It Factor" playoff play since 2017 or so. Canes needed playoff "It Factor" scoring during cores window lately, but they haven't gotten it. Goal-tending deserves some of blame, but Canes seem to lose..... "Next goal wins game" battles when facing better/deeper teams, who have "It Factor" goal-scoring. Having that helps any goaltender out late in games. More than not, teams have much talent later in playoffs, to leave cracks of light open. Great teams will take advantage and storm through cracks of light!

Goalies are like Pitchers in Baseball: goalies can swing any game and huge part within winning -vs- losing equation. Pitchers get all the blame when teams light it up at the plate, but like goalies, they deserve all the credit when keeping opponents off scoreboard. Goalies and pitchers are major part of equation on teams. Shesterkin will decide if Rangers win or lose next round, but that's no different than when a pitcher decreases win chances stinking at plate? Still takes players in front of goalie, and standing behind pitcher, to make plays though. Not just any plays, but making few "It Factor" plays increases odds so much.

Good luck Cane Nation, maybe shake-up gets team over hump. Marchessault could bring Canes playoff scoring "It Factor" needed. With cap space opening up for Canes. This could happen, but he's looking for last payday at 33 yrs old. Long-term risk -vs- Short-term gain? But....any "Cup" is worth future loses though. There are NHL fans bases who'd give up every 1st rd pick next 5 yrs for "Cup" run memories.
Bro, why do you keep putting Cup in quotes?

• Haha
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Don’t think NYR has a great chance against Florida. They were exposed at 5v5 again, their PP cooled off as the series went along, and they will be facing a much better goaltender. Shesterkin was very beatable all series.

Shesterkin was very beatable all series? What series were you watching? Also ever think that the PP could heat up again? Odd you didn’t mention the PK at all either.

And no they were chanting we want Boston because they are a rival. Nice try though.

Identity404

Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Shesterkin was very beatable all series? What series were you watching?
The one where he had a 3+ GAA?

He was a lot better than the sieve in net on the other side, and made critical saves at the right time… what you expect from a #1 goaltender in the playoffs, but the canes didn’t have trouble scoring this series, and no one would claim they lost because of a hot goaltender.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

How do you trash talk after your team loses? How?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Big offseason for the Canes, some big UFA.. including the coach who is gonna get PAID.
A ton of different ways Canes can go in the offseason. Will be very interesting for them. They parted with prospects. They have a lot of signings to do. I really like the Jake fit for them and I think they should try to make it their top priority. They can go into a coaching direction. A defense direction. It's going to be a fun offseason keeping an eye on them.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Some teams never go far in the playoffs no matter how good their regular season is or how low their odds are.

Leafs, Oilers, Canes, Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad