Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers won 1 period of this game. Took Andersen allowing two of the worst goals I’ve ever seen to keep them alive tonight.

Rod Dumb-da-more had to start Andersen 3 too many times this series. Face it - Shesterkin is the only reason the Rangers are moving on to be obliterated in 5 by the Panthers.

I'm sure you thought the Canes would obliterate the Rangers in 5 too. :rolleyes:

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Btw I hate Necas and Svechnikov (I'd love them on our team), Martinson is a gamer too!

Andersen looked atrocious all game, even at 3-1 Carolina I couldn't trust it.
Fr. He gave me confidence as a Rangers fan that we could at least tie it up when we were down 3-1 heading into the first.

Andersen looked atrocious all game, even at 3-1 Carolina I couldn't trust it.
Fr. He gave me confidence as a Rangers fan that we could at least tie it up when we were down 3-1 heading into the first.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Every Ranger fan that’s paying attention cringes at the fact that he’s the captain of the team and admits that he’s easily our worst defenseman. The only way we’ll tolerate him not being traded this offseason is if we win the Cup.
No, even when we win the cup this season we still need him traded.

• Haha
Reactions: tlk

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Rangers won 1 period of this game. Took Andersen allowing two of the worst goals I’ve ever seen to keep them alive tonight.

Rod Dumb-da-more had to start Andersen 3 too many times this series. Face it - Shesterkin is the only reason the Rangers are moving on to be obliterated in 5 by the Panthers.
When you chop any game into a bunch of pieces, and then apply analysis to those pieces you subjectively assembled, and then pretend to present some objective conclusion, you should know that that just doesn't fly. It's bogus.
The game is a collection of a whole lot of dynamics. When you try to tell me that you know better than the final score, that is when I say you are wrong.

The final score is what matters. That tells the whole story in pretty much every sports contest. The better team won.
When the Rangers lose, I see it that way too

Last edited:

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Disappointing that the lack of even average goaltending ended the chance for a Game 7 and a glorious comeback.

3 softies (2 on the scoreboard, plus 1 in between saved by Martinook's stick) telegraphed to everyone someone was having a very bad day for leakers, wraparounds, shots off the back, losing sight of the puck, etc and there's only so much one can adjust and compensate for without the game plan going to shit. Any playoff opponent in the 2nd round is going to exploit the hell out a self-inflicted wound so large. The 3rd period proved that.

Well done to Kreider for doing so, and Shesty for making enough saves that mattered at the other end.

Last edited:

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
He could, but what would be the reason for any so-called discount on his part?
It could very well be that he would love to go to Vancouver, so I can't discount that.

he loves playing for his Grandpa (JR)

JK, I'm wishful thinking.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What's with all these Leafs and Habs fans trying to dunk on the Canes for losing after winning a round or two once again?

Your teams rarely have done that recently. Andersen and Kotkaniemi are such minor characters. Stop being petty. Who really cares about those players?

The Canes are what they are. They lack the elite scoring talent needed to take that next step. They have a good system and coach and good depth, but their best players are routinely worse than the best players on the teams they lose to.

I was having an argument in the trade board last year about if Aho was better than Buchnevich or not, and I was half joking in saying Buchnevich, and then I compared their stats and holy shit their stats were similar. Aho is supposed to be this star player around the league and he's really just a guy. Same with Svechnikov. These are not elite players. They are supporting players for elite players. Yeah, Slavin is great defensively, but does defense really win in today's NHL compared to offense?

Canes need to go out there and trade for a Marner or sign Stamkos or get someone like that if they want to have a better chance. Probably actually need two guys like that. Guentzel is a very good player. Always gives the Rangers trouble, but he's not solving your scoring troubles and leading your offense. He was the second best guy on his own line in Pittsburgh.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
When you chop any game into a bunch of pieces, and then apply analysis to those pieces you subjectively assembled, and then pretend to present some objective conclusion, you should know that that just doesn't fly. It's bogus.
The game is a collection of a whole lot of dynamics. When you try to tell me that you know better than the final score, that is when I say you are wrong.

The final score is what matters. That tells the whole story in pretty much every sports contest. The better team won.
When the Rangers lose, I see it that way too
I actually re-read this piece of poetry a few times. Well done. 👏

Reactions: egelband

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Guentzel joining the Canucks in the summer at a discount.

He could, but what would be the reason for any so-called discount on his part?
It could very well be that he would love to go to Vancouver, so I can't discount that.

Who needs money when you could teach Elias Pettersson how to play hockey & win a cup in the process.

(JK, Petey was good tonight)

Reactions: trilobyte

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
What's with all these Leafs and Habs fans trying to dunk on the Canes for losing after winning a round or two once again?

Your teams rarely have done that recently. Andersen and Kotkaniemi are such minor characters. Stop being petty. Who really cares about those players?

The Canes are what they are. They lack the elite scoring talent needed to take that next step. They have a good system and coach and good depth, but their best players are routinely worse than the best players on the teams they lose to.

I was having an argument in the trade board last year about if Aho was better than Buchnevich or not, and I was half joking in saying Buchnevich, and then I compared their stats and holy shit their stats were similar. Aho is supposed to be this star player around the league and he's really just a guy. Same with Svechnikov. These are not elite players. They are supporting players for elite players. Yeah, Slavin is great defensively, but does defense really win in today's NHL compared to offense?

Canes need to go out there and trade for a Marner or sign Stamkos or get someone like that if they want to have a better chance. Probably actually need two guys like that. Guentzel is a very good player. Always gives the Rangers trouble, but he's not solving your scoring troubles and leading your offense. He was the second best guy on his own line in Pittsburgh.

They're the 2009-2017 Capitals at this point, something always goes wrong from them in the playoffs. Last year, their scoring disappeared v Florida after dismantling the Devils round 2 in every which way. This year, Freddy Andersen collapsed at the worst times. 2022, their goalie/non existent powerplay lost them a series against the Rangers. Their core got wasted by an owner who decided to cheap on talent in net and on the blue line. They keep Hamilton in 2021 and sign a decent goalie in between and they're probably Stanley Cup Champs at least once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad