Post-Series Talk: New York Rangers defeat the Carolina Hurricanes 4-2, advance to ECF

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I still am baffled why so many people love FLA vs the Rangers. I do think they might push them 6 or 7 but they'd need Igor to have a bad series or Bob to be lights out to win it I think
The same way a lot of people thought Carolina would beat the Rangers in 5 or 6, lol.

At this point, the Rangers can beat Florida and especially Boston.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
When does Carolina finally address this average at best goaltending?

Freddy gave them elite goaltending last year and their offense dried up v Florida. They're just the new 2008-2016 Caps where something random goes wrong for them yearly.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I posted this in the Freddy thread, but in case you didnt see it there, here's how out of position he was on the first goal. I took a snapshot of Trocheck getting it and added a triangle.

He had no clue what was going on.

trocheck.jpg

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I was pretty harsh on the Rangers all game until the comeback started, and then I went and smugly read the GDT after the game, laughing at all the doom posts as if I wasn't all doom and gloom a minutes earlier! Yeah, I'm a big hypocrite but I'm definitely enjoying life right now! :D

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I still am baffled why so many people love FLA vs the Rangers. I do think they might push them 6 or 7 but they'd need Igor to have a bad series or Bob to be lights out to win it I think

They're probably the most built playoff roster in the league, the issue is once how big of a difference Shesty v his counterpart is. Bob isn't Andersen bad this playoffs but he's been shaky and that's where the Rangers can capitalize on Florida.

I was pretty harsh on the Rangers all game until the comeback started, and then I went and smugly read the GDT after the game, laughing at all the doom posts as if I wasn't all doom and gloom a minutes earlier! Yeah, I'm a big hypocrite but I'm definitely enjoying life right now! :D

Life of a sports fan, I don't fault ya lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I posted this in the Freddy thread, but in case you didnt see it there, here's how out of position he was on the first goal. I took a snapshot of Trocheck getting it and added a triangle.

He had no clue what was going on.

View attachment 872007

To be fair to him, the Canes player looked like he was going to dump it up the center of the ice and somehow passed it right to Panarin. When he went to track it over, in his surprise he stumbled slightly.

Shesterkin didn’t have an especially great series either. Allowed 3+ in 5 of 6 games.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
To be fair to him, the Canes player looked like he was going to dump it up the center of the ice and somehow passed it right to Panarin. When he went to track it over, in his surprise he stumbled slightly.

Shesterkin didn’t have an especially great series either. Allowed 3+ in 5 of 6 games.
Totally.

The second he saw a Cane player was going to get control he basically chilled out. If he was more focused and stayed with the puck he would had been in better position for the long shot.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015

You couldn't have been any more sure than i was when it was 3-1 in the third period that the Rangers were finished, not only for this game but game 7.

Reactions: Saitama

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Totally.

The second he saw a Cane player was going to get control he basically chilled out. If he was more focused and stayed with the puck he would had been in better position for the long shot.

Yep. You wonder if he makes the save anyway, considering Trocheck did deflect it. Still, it was not his best moment.

Reactions: 647Hockey

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
He is definitely overrated. I have zero doubts he never wins anything in Carolina.

His messaging is old and washed. How do you let a 3-1 third period playoff lead go like that? Cringe.

No way that lockerroom thinks he's the guy to lead them to a cup.

JMHO

Great comeback by the Rangers.
His goaltending let him down and his incompetent GM lost Trocheck with a revenge offer sheet.

Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Grats Rangers fans, your team made a grown man cry. Or was it my team?

Ahh who am I kidding I knew the Canes wouldn’t get it done in the playoffs yet again

Congrats for real though, must be nice to have a clutch goalie and forwards

Thank you. Your team or my team had me swearing off watching sports ever again for two periods.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
When does Carolina finally address this average at best goaltending?
Goaltending has essentially been below average ever since they moved to Carolina.

I am starting to think they sold their souls in the 2006 playoffs to invoke Smythe Cam Ward. Their goaltending has been subpar ever since. Canes, Flyers, Oilers and Leafs are just allergic to attracting and developing great goaltenders.

Goaltending is the toughest position to fill as it is the most important position in hockey. There aren't a lot of perennial Vezina candidates out there when it comes to goalies and signing any of them to unicorn contracts via UFA typically backfires. This isn't simply a situation you can spend or trade your way out of easily.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Pyotr was always the move. Always.

Speaking of which, I'm glad he wasn't but not for hockey reasons. If I hear Peeohter one more time... That's not even close to how it's pronounced and that's why I hate seeing Shestyorkin because English speakers have no idea how to pronounce the "yo".

Reactions: trilobyte

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Just saw Canes roster on cap friendly, just crazy that they have 14 UFAs/RFAs then add in after next year Orlov/Slavin/Burns are UFAs. This roster might be 80% turned over in 1-2 years.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
What a choke job by Carolina in the third. Brutal.

NY once again near the bottom of all playoff participants in advanced possession metrics. It's the Shesterkin show on Broadway. They're barely a playoff team without him.
I mean, you’re wrong. But he’s also like part of the team? Thanks for telling us we have good goaltending?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
What a choke job by Carolina in the third. Brutal.

NY once again near the bottom of all playoff participants in advanced possession metrics. It's the Shesterkin show on Broadway. They're barely a playoff team without him.

This is a take straight from 2013. Carolina dominates possession metrics every year and more years than not are out in the second round and often in 5 games or so.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I mean, you’re wrong. But he’s also like part of the team? Thanks for telling us we have good goaltending?
Problem with Carolina is Freddie. Typically a cup run requires a good goalie. Even if it's a flukey sub in like Adin Hill. The goalie has to be good.

Carey Price lead the habs to the finals with a shitty team that was 20th in the league. Guy singlehandley carried the team that could barely score.

Reactions: flying squirrel

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I feel bad for people who think that whoever wins possession automatically deserves to win the game.
That's not how statistics work, nor did I say anything to that effect. Teams with superior possession games tend to win more often than not, but certainly not a guarantee. It's a statistical fact.

Any others words you want to put in my mouth?

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Smoking on the Carolina pack

Enjoy the offseason you frauds
Rangers won 1 period of this game. Took Andersen allowing two of the worst goals I’ve ever seen to keep them alive tonight.

Rod Dumb-da-more had to start Andersen 3 too many times this series. Face it - Shesterkin is the only reason the Rangers are moving on to be obliterated in 5 by the Panthers.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
That's not how statistics work, nor did I say anything to that effect. Teams with superior possession games tend to win more often than not, but certainly not a guarantee. It's a statistical fact.

Any others words you want to put in my mouth?
Haha I mean you didn't even really refute what I said, so no I'm good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad