Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at New Jersey Devils 10/21/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Duclair hasn't shown himself to be more dangerous than Stempniak yet. Undoubtedly? Hardly, is more like it.

He's drawing penalties and making nice set ups with regularity. The quality of his shot is not in question. He may not be the ideal defensive forward at this point (although his awareness has not been bad), but a line of Duclair-Brassard-Zuccarello can see a heavy helping of offensive zone starts while drawing weaker opposing defenders since Nash, Kreider, Stepan, and St. Louis will be on other lines.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The post about being concerned at the type of goals nash is scoring being worrisome might possibly be the worst post in HFBoards History quite frankly. Lol

Or the best! ;)

Seriously though I don't think you have a clue what I am talking about.

Every other person around this team is saying -- great Nash is scoring now but he must keep it up in the POs. I know exactly how it will sound in 6-7 months if Nash steps off the ice after a game in the POs without having scored a goal, those people will sound like he has stopped caring, that he isn't going to the front of the net etc etc etc.

And for some it might look like that. That Nash is scoring in October 2014 because he cares, and if he is held back in the POs, that he stopped caring. My point is just that when you play the better teams in the POs, the game is different. Very different. Besides the odd goals here and there, you really need to do your job as a unit/team in the POs to score your goals. I've seen Nash score 8 in 7 or whatever, thats great and he has obviously been our best forward by a wide margin, but I've not yet seen the unit he is on either 5 on 5 or on the PP do what it will take for say Nash to be a PPG against a Boston or LAK in the POs.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Duclair isnt moving his feet away from the puck like he was in the preseason. he was working very hard at getting back into the play, backchecking, forechecking, etc

hes sorta playing like Phil Kessel at the moment, just waiting for offensive chances and letting other people do the work defensively.

he wasnt like that in the preseason. he was active on every shift, proactive defensively.

Keep those feet moving kid, and you'll be back in the lineup.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Or the best! ;)

Every other person around this team is saying -- great Nash is scoring now but he must keep it up in the POs. I know exactly how it will sound in 6-7 months if Nash steps off the ice after a game in the POs without having scored a goal, those people will sound like he has stopped caring, that he isn't going to the front of the net etc etc etc.

And for some it might look like that. That Nash is scoring in October 2014 because he cares, and if he is held back in the POs, that he stopped caring. My point is just that when you play the better teams in the POs, the game is different. Very different. Besides the odd goals here and there, you really need to do your job as a unit/team in the POs to score your goals. I've seen Nash score 8 in 7 or whatever, thats great and he has obviously been our best forward by a wide margin, but I've not yet seen the unit he is on either 5 on 5 or on the PP do what it will take for say Nash to be a PPG against a Boston or LAK in the POs.

how many PPG players are ther ein the NHL against the 2 best defensive teams?

Thats a crazy thing to say.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Duclair isnt moving his feet away from the puck like he was in the preseason. he was working very hard at getting back into the play, backchecking, forechecking, etc

hes sorta playing like Phil Kessel at the moment, just waiting for offensive chances and letting other people do the work defensively.

he wasnt like that in the preseason. he was active on every shift, proactive defensively.

Keep those feet moving kid, and you'll be back in the lineup.

Exactly right. He was gliding all over the place

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Completely agree. People who want him on the 4th line, I see why, because he would make that line better. But he has too much offensive ability to essentially waste on that line. He should be locked into the 3rd line all season, possibly Hags-Hayes-Stempniak when Stepan comes back. That's a damn solid 3rd line offensively and Hags and Stempniak are solid defensively to help Hayes out.

I'd like to get Duclair back in the lineup, but not at the expense of Stempniak. Stempniak has been too good.

As for the Malone/Glass talk, Glass seems to handle the puck like a grenade. A big problem with replacing Dorsett/Carcillo with him is that those guys could work a great cycle in the offensive zone, which was what made our 4th line so good last year. Glass seems to not have the ability to participate in a productive cycle in the offensive zone. This is why I like Malone, he may be slow, but he is WAY more effective in the offensive zone. He is solid on the boards, he can move the puck in a cycle and he is good in front of the net.

I called the Zucc-Brass line the 3rd line because I'm not entirely confident that Brassard can stick up with 2nd line competition... Hayes hasn't necessarily proven it either, but he's got a much calmer demeanor and can work well without the puck, unlike Brassard who is a bit clueless without the puck... secondly Hayes has Nash and Kreider on his wings, which allows his mistakes to be covered up. Zucc can only do so much for Brass in that regard because of size.

Hagelin and MSL have a nice chemistry because both seem to always know where eachother are... this is mostly due to MSL understanding Hagelin's game (both strengths and limitations)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Or the best! ;)

Forcing turnovers and creating chances from slot aren't things that produce goals in the playoffs?

Basically I'm just not totally sure what you're trying to say because you're not providing any explanation, just saying "it won't work!"

Do you mean they need to grind it out better and produce more "dirty" goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad