Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Dallas Stars 2/27/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
ALIGMnI.png

Dan GirARGHdi

member 116805

you realize we have a generational talent in net, right?

Pesonally, i would not build a team around a goalie and tie up 8,5 in goal.
I do line a good goalie though, but perhaps a little less good for a lot less cap

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
This Corsi garbage is really getting in the way of people's enjoyment of the game.

People enjoy good hockey, more news at 11.

Don't get me wrong, excellent goaltending is fun at all, but it'd be nice to see the Rangers play, idk, a good game in all 3 zones.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You don't need Corsi to see that this game was a circus. Timely goals and Henrik Lundqvist have been the story of this team for 2 years now.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
This Corsi garbage is really getting in the way of people's enjoyment of the game.

Agree, I think Corsi is a good analytical tool for hockey, but doesn't tell the whole story sometimes.

Simple terms, the team is tied for second in points in the conference....but people will still be up in arms that we aren't trading away most of our players for picks or unproven youth for the future.

Do I think this team is good enough to win a cup? Probably not...but at the same time ALL teams in this position are going to try and go all in when they are this high ranked in the standings...No GM of a team is going to look at the point standings currently and think "I think we should trade away good players now and re-tool in hopes we can try and be higher than we are in the league standings currently"

this team is 6th in points overall in the league, We are among the GREAT teams in the league even if our spoiled fanbase refuses to acknowledge it, people talk about this team like we are the trash of the league

The season is 3/4 the way over...this is who the Rangers are: A top team in the league

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Agree, I think Corsi is a good analytical tool for hockey, but doesn't tell the whole story sometimes.

Simple terms, the team is tied for second in points in the conference....but people will still be up in arms that we aren't trading away most of our players for picks or unproven youth for the future.

Do I think this team is good enough to win a cup? Probably not...but at the same time ALL teams in this position are going to try and go all in when they are this high ranked in the standings...No GM of a team is going to look at the point standings currently and think "I think we should trade away good players now and re-tool in hopes we can try and be higher than we are in the league standings currently"

this team is 6th in points overall in the league, We are among the GREAT teams in the league even if our spoiled fanbase refuses to acknowledge it, people talk about this team like we are the trash of the league

The season is 3/4 the way over...this is who the Rangers are: A top team in the league
The main Corsi-related criticism of this team is the defense. They score a lot, and have great goaltending. Advanced stats aside can anyone say this team has been as good defensively as they are in other areas, to put it lightly?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I do line a good goalie though, but perhaps a little less good for a lot less cap

Always fun to post this again...

I'll continue posting this until people finally wrap their head around it.

08-09: $6.875m of a $56.7m cap = 12.1% of team cap
14-15: $8.5m of a $68m cap = 12.5% of team cap
15-16: $8.5m of a $71.4m cap = 11.9% of team cap

As the cap continues to rise, the percentage against the team cap becomes lower than it ever was in all the previous years he was on the team.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
The main Corsi-related criticism of this team is the defense. They score a lot, and have great goaltending. Advanced stats aside can anyone say this team has been as good defensively as they are in other areas, to put it lightly?

They are absolutely not good in their own zone, although I think its more of the fact that we have a mix of different defenseman that are being told to play a style of play that doesn't speak to their skill levels....We have 2 good pucking moving defenseman(McD/Yandle) 3 stay at home defense-first defenseman in Girardi/Staal/Klein, and then we have an old slow shell in Boyle who is just kind of there???

The biggest problem is Yandle should be getting more minutes and Boyle Significantly less...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You mean like almost all of the 11 years he's played here
I mean both of those together, the Rangers haven't been this good at scoring for most of Hank's career.

They are absolutely not good in their own zone, although I think its more of the fact that we have a mix of different defenseman that are being told to play a style of play that doesn't speak to their skill levels....We have 2 good pucking moving defenseman(McD/Yandle) 3 stay at home defense-first defenseman in Girardi/Staal/Klein, and then we have an old slow shell in Boyle who is just kind of there???

The biggest problem is Yandle should be getting more minutes and Boyle Significantly less...
Pretty much.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
They never trailed in the game and only got outshot by 9. They were obviously playing in a shell a good amount of the time.

Why people bring out Corsi on any individual game is beyond me. Especially when analytic people themselves say it doesn't go game by game. It's getting annoying

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

He's more than a goalie. He's a leader, and the face of one of the sports richest franchises, 8.5 is cheap for what he brings to the table.

People enjoy good hockey, more news at 11.

Don't get me wrong, excellent goaltending is fun at all, but it'd be nice to see the Rangers play, idk, a good game in all 3 zones.

10-4-1 since Nash has been out, no matter how you slice it, the team has excelled under adversity, I could care less how its being done. Obviously this is not a perfect lineup that can beat teams at will, but we should at least be proud of the job they've done even with some lackluster performances. injuries/illness, and a not so easy schedule.

Also wanted to mention how well Colt Sceviour played, this was the guy I wanted us to trade for last years deadline.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
They never trailed in the game and only got outshot by 9. They were obviously playing in a shell a good amount of the time.

Why people bring out Corsi on any individual game is beyond me. Especially when analytic people themselves say it doesn't go game by game. It's getting annoying

Certain posters have it out for the coach and certain defensemen on this club, corsi is their only defense when the team is winning.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Certain posters have it out for the coach and certain defensemen on this club, corsi is their only defense when the team is winning.

I wouldn't mind if they blamed the coach for putting on the shell. Even if it does work most of the time. My problem is people obsessing over advanced stats and not using them properly. Like Corsi on a game to game basis

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Advanced stats aside can anyone say this team has been as good defensively as they are in other areas, to put it lightly?
It's like last year. Great goal tending, suspect defense, timely scoring. They just won way more games last year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I used to like AV very much but he makes really weird decisions sometimes. There's nothing particularly advanced about the Rangers allowing a lot of quality shots. I mean in the time that I've been following the Rangers, which is not long at all, these teams have been awesome to watch. I know most of you guys/gals have watched terrible teams in the past, and 2014 was an absolute ride.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I used to like AV very much but he makes really weird decisions sometimes. There's nothing particularly advanced about the Rangers allowing a lot of quality shots.

Are they really all his decisions when Ulf Samuelsson runs the defense in game?? Its more than one coach making these combos, and when they play.

And shots against is not all on the defense, the forwards share a huge part of the blame. Why do you think Fast gets so much ice? He can play two ways.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I used to like AV very much but he makes really weird decisions sometimes. There's nothing particularly advanced about the Rangers allowing a lot of quality shots. I mean in the time that I've been following the Rangers, which is not long at all, these teams have been awesome to watch.

By far the main issues I have with AV is:

1) His strange and weird love affair with Tanner GlASS.

2) His usage of putting the 4th line (usually with Glass in it) in do or die situations.

3) His low usage of Keith Yandle.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Are they really all his decisions when Ulf Samuelsson runs the defense in game?? Its more than one coach making these combos and when they play.

And shots against is not all on the defense, the forwards share a huge part of the blame. Why do you think Fast gets so much ice? He can play two ways.
I guess not but it's still an issue with the team. Everyone enjoying this team is more important than anything but it's a discussion board and there are just certain areas where the team excels and areas where they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad