Three stars at Boston - December 16

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
that's an amazing chart.

One thing that changed is Anton Stralman is gone. For this to work we have to get out of the zone efficiently. Which we don't. And we have to spend more time in the other end. Which we don't.

So it comes down to goaltending. Against LA Hank outplayed Quick. I thought Rask played OK yesterday but was unlucky.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
that's an amazing chart.

One thing that changed is Anton Stralman is gone. For this to work we have to get out of the zone efficiently. Which we don't. And we have to spend more time in the other end. Which we don't.

So it comes down to goaltending. Against LA Hank outplayed Quick. I thought Rask played OK yesterday but was unlucky.
Stralman was the biggest loss I agree. But I also think the system changed, either that or the players we have now just aren't good fits for it.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I watched the OT goal on replay - he probably learn that by Marty St. Louis in ice practice, and what a snipe goal. Zucc was far from happy with his overall game on saturday his words. And such great moments get you happy - that`s why I enjoy sports. :)

Last edited:

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I watched the OT goal on replay - he probably learn that by Marty St. Louis in ice practice, and what a snipe goal. Zucc was far from happy with his overall game on saturday his words. And such great moments get you happy - that`s why I enjoy sports. :)
More than "Zucc's bad play", i am somewhat concerned for the PP. Nobody is moving anymore, which is probably the main contributor to its decline (it hasn't declined, its fallen off a cliff...lol). I've noticed it in multiple PP's the last few games, everyone sets up shop, then stand still while Zucc and Shatt are the only two open players "uselessly" cycling the puck between them.

Whoever is in front of the goal should be standing still (or move with the goalie) to block his vision, but everyone else needs to keep their feet moving to get the defensive formation out of position.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
More than "Zucc's bad play", i am somewhat concerned for the PP. Nobody is moving anymore, which is probably the main contributor to its decline (it hasn't declined, its fallen off a cliff...lol). I've noticed it in multiple PP's the last few games, everyone sets up shop, then stand still while Zucc and Shatt are the only two open players "uselessly" cycling the puck between them.

Whoever is in front of the goal should be standing still (or move with the goalie) to block his vision, but everyone else needs to keep their feet moving to get the defensive formation out of position.
It'll be fine when Mika comes back.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I'm really concerned that many of the hardcore advanced stats advocates are too lost in the numbers to consider the bigger picture.

I have an advanced mathematics education. I am a huge proponent of analytics and metrics in almost every aspect of my professional life. I personally don't care to analyze hockey (which I watch for fun) the same way I do the things that I am responsible for at work, and the fanatic and smug adherence to a few of these stats has made this place significantly less enjoyable to visit.

The eye test is real. The reality you experience is real. Yes, your senses are prone to tons of subconscious biases, but you can make yourself aware of them and minimize their effects. I've read and love Kahneman/Tversky/Thaler - I'm a believer, seriously.

Statistics, in addition to being predictive, should also be descriptive. When the numbers don't match experience, it is entirely possible that your biases are clouding your experience, but it's also possible that the numbers are either ill-conceived or simply not applicable to the situation at hand. Good analysis is backed by data but is comprised of much more than JUST DATA.

Beautifully put. I get enough Excel, Python and SQL at work every day. :laugh:

Reactions: Synergy27

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The PP has had okay puck movement passing wise but they aren't moving their feet enough. If they do things like criss cross the blue line they will force the other team to skate with them. I would take the man out of the middle and try to force a 2 on 1 down low. If things get stale I would occasionally rotate Zooks down behind the other teams net. Park him in Gretzky's office and let him dictate from back there a bit. Force 1 of their dmen to chase him behind the net making it a 4 vs 3 situation in front.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
The PP has had okay puck movement passing wise but they aren't moving their feet enough. If they do things like criss cross the blue line they will force the other team to skate with them. I would take the man out of the middle and try to force a 2 on 1 down low. If things get stale I would occasionally rotate Zooks down behind the other teams net. Park him in Gretzky's office and let him dictate from back there a bit. Force 1 of their dmen to chase him behind the net making it a 4 vs 3 situation in front.
Gretzky was a magician behind the net! He was so unbelievable to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad