Speculation: New York Rangers - All Time Team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Andy Bathgate - Jean Ratelle - Rod Gilbert
Mark Messier - Eric Lindros - Theoren Fleury
Adam Graves - Phil Esposito - Jaromír Jágr
Anders Hedberg - Petr Nedved - Tomas Sandstrom

Brian Leetch - Brad Park
Reijo Ruotsalainen - Sergei Zubov
James Patrick - Ron Greschner

Mike Richter
Henrik Lundqvist

All lines equal playing time.

All in their prime. Would this team win Stanley Cup in todays NHL? Feel free to make your own Rangers All Time Team. Guess I have missed many great players.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Where's Bill Cook? And why isn't Hank starting, I would argue Vanbiesbrouk and Giacomin better than Richter as well.

CharlieCharleschuk

Nov 26, 2013
I always liked Nedved but no way is he all-time. Something also seems wrong about Lindros on this type of list.

Kovalev, a home grown SC winner should be above him amongst others...

Would also consider Savard, Sandstrom and Amonte.

And if we're talking "in their prime" don't forget Gretzky and LaFontaine.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Brian Leetch - Brad Park

Mike Richter
Henrik Lundqvist

All in their prime. Would this team win Stanley Cup in todays NHL? Feel free to make your own Rangers All Time Team. Guess I have missed many great players.

Not logical premise as posted.
If you are saying greatest players evah, who wore NYR uniform, AT ANY POINT, regardless of whether or not it was in their prime or for how long, then indeed a Wayne Gretzky would make the Fs.

If not, then Messier certainly removes Lindros.

Before considering to rework thread as your all time favorite NYR team, consider digging up prior threads on the All-Time topic.

Several old timers give great insights and lot of really solid work done by Crease and a coupla others.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Hadfield-Ratelle-Gilbert
Graves-Messier-Cook
Vickers-Boucher-Bathgate
Henry-Tkaczuk-Hextall

Leetch-Howell
Park-Greschner
Heller-Johnson

Lundqvist
Giacomin

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Brian Leetch - Brad Park

Mike Richter
Henrik Lundqvist

No All Time team would have Nedved, Lindros, Ruotsalainen, Fleury, or Hedberg.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
No All Time team would have Nedved, Lindros, Ruotsalainen, Fleury, or Hedberg.

Flyers could absolutely use Lindros, but no way hes an all time great ranger. Only way Lindros is on this team is if we are going by his prime, which he was well out of when he was a ranger. If that counts then we easily have the best all time team of any NHL team because of how many retiring superstars we have bought in the past.

I consider an all time team to be based on how the players performed as rangers though.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Agree. If we use in their prime, then Gretzky is the team's #1 center.

oh in primes we just win

Dionne-Gretzky-Bure
Rattelle-Messier-Jagr
Anderson-Esposito-Gartner
Weight-Robitaille-Fleury

Leetch-Park
Zubov-Schneider
Hatcher-Patrick

Lundqvist
Giacomin

So many others could be put on this team or argued to be on. so many HMs

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Bun Cook - Boucher - Bill Cook
Hadfield - Messier - Bathgate
Graves - Ratelle - Gilbert
Henry - Colville - Hextall, Sr.

Leetch
Johnson
Park
Howell
Coulter
Gadsby

Lundqvist
Giacomin

Cobra Jack*

Every day of the week over Richter

It's amazing how short of a memory some NY Ranger fans have. Have you seen Richter in his prime? In big time situations vs. Hank?

I'm sorry, but I take Richter over Lundqvist any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I don't know how old you are, but let me fill you in on something. In 1994 Richter made some of the most amazing saves I have ever seen a goalie make during that 1994 cup run, particularly in Game 6 vs. the Devils when we were down 2-0 facing elimination.

I love Lundqvist, but do you seriously think in THAT SPOT he could match Richter's performance there? I'm sorry but the answer is NO. Lundqvist, as great as he's been in Game 7's, has also had a lot of times where he has broken down emotionally and sulked. He gets down on himself, and is not as strong mentally as Mike Richter was.

You can say all you want how the 1994 teams was stacked. Without Richter, we don't win jack squat that year. PERIOD. Biggest moment of the 1994 playoff run: MIKE RICHTER vs. PAVEL BURE ONE ON ONE. And Richter makes the most amazing save you will ever see on the most dynamic player in the NHL at that time...AT THE BIGGEST MOMENT.

Lundqvist is great, but does he win a cup on that 1994 team? Does he come up with the INCREDIBLE SAVES Richter did? The penalty shot save? Compare Richter's performance in the finals in 1994 to Lundqvist in 2014. Go watch some tapes and then tell me you'd still take Lundqvist over Richter. Sorry, you'd have to be a fool to do so.

Mike Richter is going down as the franchise's all-time best goalie. Period. Lundqvist had a chance to match and even surpass him this year but he quite simply did not get it done. Richter did. END OF DISCUSSION.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It's amazing how short of a memory some NY Ranger fans have. Have you seen Richter in his prime? In big time situations vs. Hank?

I'm sorry, but I take Richter over Lundqvist any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I don't know how old you are, but let me fill you in on something. In 1994 Richter made some of the most amazing saves I have ever seen a goalie make during that 1994 cup run, particularly in Game 6 vs. the Devils when we were down 2-0 facing elimination.

I love Lundqvist, but do you seriously think in THAT SPOT he could match Richter's performance there? I'm sorry but the answer is NO. Lundqvist, as great as he's been in Game 7's, has also had a lot of times where he has broken down emotionally and sulked. He gets down on himself, and is not as strong mentally as Mike Richter was.

You can say all you want how the 1994 teams was stacked. Without Richter, we don't win jack squat that year. PERIOD. Biggest moment of the 1994 playoff run: MIKE RICHTER vs. PAVEL BURE ONE ON ONE. And Richter makes the most amazing save you will ever see on the most dynamic player in the NHL at that time...AT THE BIGGEST MOMENT.

Lundqvist is great, but does he win a cup on that 1994 team? Does he come up with the INCREDIBLE SAVES Richter did? The penalty shot save? Compare Richter's performance in the finals in 1994 to Lundqvist in 2014. Go watch some tapes and then tell me you'd still take Lundqvist over Richter. Sorry, you'd have to be a fool to do so.

Mike Richter is going down as the franchise's all-time best goalie. Period. Lundqvist had a chance to match and even surpass him this year but he quite simply did not get it done. Richter did. END OF DISCUSSION.

Lundqvist is the best rangers goalie of all time. Cup is a team award not a goalie award, and just look at what hank has to work with compared to what Richter had. Lundqvist hit 300 wins in 5 less seasons than Richter did and with half the teams Richter had. Lundqvist will completely shatter every goalie record that the rangers hold. He could very well hit 500 wins and will very likely end up with 75+ shutouts. Lundqvist is far more consistent than any goalie this team has ever had.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Lundqvist is the best rangers goalie of all time. Cup is a team award not a goalie award, and just look at what hank has to work with compared to what Richter had. Lundqvist hit 300 wins in 5 less seasons than Richter did and with half the teams Richter had. Lundqvist will completely shatter every goalie record that the rangers hold. He could very well hit 500 wins and will very likely end up with 75+ shutouts. Lundqvist is far more consistent than any goalie this team has ever had.

A lot easier to get wins now with the shootout than it was when ties were part of the game.

Any shootout win used to be a tie.

You'd have to take Richter's ties, and add 50% of them to his win total to get an approximate to compare to Lundqvist's.

Cobra Jack*

There are no ties anymore, so of course Lundqvist has "more wins". And what are these great teams you speak of? 1998-2004 years were the worst in our history, arguably.

I don't care about regular season accomplishments. You can downplay the fact Richter won a cup for us all you want. That's your choice. I won't, and I don't. It's an excuse. Great Goalies have won cups on teams with less talent than this current Rangers team.

As I said before, Lundqvist has not yet proven he can handle the big stage. That's why I rank him a notch below Richter. Richter had a couple of bad games in the finals, yes, but he rebounded mentally and emotionally. Those are traits I am not sure Lundqvist has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad