New York Islanders own a bevy of talented young guns at the AHL level

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Due to the NHL lockout, anyone with a two-way contract was able to hone their skills at the AHL level in Bridgeport while they waited for the NHL to resume. This increased the overall level of play in the AHL, which has been good for the overall development of the New York Islanders' prospects.

Now that the lockout has been lifted, the invitees from Bridgeport were a bit surprising to some. The notables that were left off include: Nino Niederreiter, Matt Donovan, and Aaron Ness. The Islanders decided to invite more experienced and older AHL players like Colin McDonald.… read more

More...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Johan Sudstrom is going to be a beast of a 2 way player....

I could see him as a 40-45 pt 3rd line center that can play in all situations...

He may even develope into a better player than that

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Ullstrum still underrated lol. I have been following him for a while now. Only because the Isles are deep at center is the reason why he doesnt get enough credit. I personally think he has incredible vision. He makes players around him better and can snipe but is so unselfish. No chance he gets sent back down again the bridgeport. For christ sake put some players on his line and watch him produce.

startainfection*

Johan Sudstrom is going to be a beast of a 2 way player....

I could see him as a 40-45 pt 3rd line center that can play in all situations...

He may even develope into a better player than that

we already have a handful of 3rd line centers

startainfection*

I'd like to see him converted to RW, since there are practically none in the prospect pool.

i would really like an all swede third line a few times a season, in their primes a third line of person - ullstrom - sundstrom would be pretty cool, i think the all play a relatively skilled game and all have really good size, a lot of players are gonna be fighting for spots next season

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Ullstrum still underrated lol. I have been following him for a while now. Only because the Isles are deep at center is the reason why he doesnt get enough credit. I personally think he has incredible vision. He makes players around him better and can snipe but is so unselfish. No chance he gets sent back down again the bridgeport. For christ sake put some players on his line and watch him produce.
Deep at center? Second line center is one of our biggest needs. A lot of other teams rosters are littered with centers playing wing. The only position we are deep at is waiver wire fodder.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Deep at center? Second line center is one of our biggest needs. A lot of other teams rosters are littered with centers playing wing. The only position we are deep at is waiver wire fodder.
We have Strome coming up and Bailey has not been written off except by many posters. Remember, Bailey can play center very well.....he just can't put the puck in the net when playing center (mental baggage).

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think Ullstrom is the key to having a good team this year. If he's as good as I think he is, I won't be surprised to see the Isles eventually give him 2C minutes and bump Nielsen down to 3C, where he's a better fit.

Ullstrom is really underrated. I love everything about this guy. Has the potential to be the whole package.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I've been singing Ullstrom's praises for a year now, his versatility is an asset, has no major flaws in his game (though no major strengths, perhaps beyond skating). A quintessential 3rd liner+ who will be valuable all season and through postseason. Reminds me a bit of Magnus Arvedson, multi-faceted 3rd liner, create offense, responsible defensively, active forechecker, smart, can be used in multi situations.

How swede it is. ;)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I've been singing Ullstrom's praises for a year now, his versatility is an asset, has no major flaws in his game (though no major strengths, perhaps beyond skating). A quintessential 3rd liner+ who will be valuable all season and through postseason. Reminds me a bit of Magnus Arvedson, multi-faceted 3rd liner, create offense, responsible defensively, active forechecker, smart, can be used in multi situations.

How swede it is. ;)

No major strengths? The kid can score and his jam is above average. I am very high on him and Cizikas.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
No major strengths? The kid can score and his jam is above average. I am very high on him and Cizikas.

Not high on Cizikas. Very high on Ullstrom.

I like CC in a 4th line energy role, but I don't expect him to become anything more than that. I could easily see Ullstrom becoming a top-6 player though. Kid has all the tools and, most importantly, a good head on his shoulders.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I like CC in a 4th line energy role, but I don't expect him to become anything more than that. I could easily see Ullstrom becoming a top-6 player though. Kid has all the tools and, most importantly, a good head on his shoulders.

Ullstrom is almost 24 while CC is almost 22 so CC has more growing to do. Think CC will be improving a lot.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

Casey Cizikas= Claude LaPointe
David Ullstrom= Kristian Huselius/Louie Eriksson

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
These are all bottom 6 players on a team that needs top 6 scorers. Im not going to get excited about these AHLers until it starts to actually starts to play dividends.

What the hell happened to Poulin and Nilsson? Both with 3.00+ GAAs and 90% or less SV%. In comparison to other goalies in the AHL thats pretty miserable numbers.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
These are all bottom 6 players on a team that needs top 6 scorers. Im not going to get excited about these AHLers until it starts to actually starts to play dividends.

What the hell happened to Poulin and Nilsson? Both with 3.00+ GAAs and 90% or less SV%. In comparison to other goalies in the AHL thats pretty miserable numbers.

Have you seen the BP defense? Not even Patrick Roy would have success with that team.

Wouldn't be so quick to limit any of the young forwards to bottom six. There are some talented players there, most have top six potential, namely:

Brock Nelson
Nino Niederreiter
Kirill Kabanov
Johan Sundstrom

I wouldn't discount John Persson or Ullstrom as complementary players that have upside. Then we have Anders Lee, Ryan Strome and Kirill Petrov.

While many won't reach their max upside, some will.

Even when Snow deals Nino for Subban, we will still have good depth in BP!

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Poulin and Nilsson's regression is a major concern. One of them should have played well enough to be the backup this year with the probability of being the starter next year. The idea is to get better not worse during your stay in the AHL. And if the defense is the problem then get one of them into the NHL (probably Poulin) before their confidence is destroyed.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ullstrom's game screams winger. Remember the other night when he went to the net and scored on the touch pass from Aucoin? Those seem to be the type of goals he scores.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad