New Witcher game in development

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just getting my "It'll come out half-released in 2029" comment out of the way now

:sarcasm:

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
So they are ditching REDengine? Thats a surprise but UE5 looks excellent from what we've seen so im not upset about it. I'm not a fan of the Witcher series but if CDPR continues to push PC hardware to its limits like they did with Cyberpunk I will probably pick it up.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'm not a big fan of the Witcher series, but I won't deny that Witcher 3 was a great game (Just not my cup of tea). Keep in mind that Witcher 3 was made with the REDengine. Just goes to show you that switching engines means nothing if you don't back it up with a good product, and generally switching engines doesn't make or break a product unless we're talking about serious technical limitations.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Probably a smart move. Need to get some cred back after the cyberpunk debacle.

It's not the engine, it's what you do with it. Truthfully, outside of Witcher 3 I think the rest of their games are average at best. So at this point I consider them a one hit wonder until proven otherwise.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's not the engine, it's what you do with it. Truthfully, outside of Witcher 3 I think the rest of their games are average at best. So at this point I consider them a one hit wonder until proven otherwise.
Engines can have issues especially if they are terribly documented. From the sounds of it, they were massively updating the engine and developing the game concurrent which caused a ton of issues on CyberPunk.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Honestly as disappointing as Cyberpunk ended up being, the core strength of The Witcher 3, it's immersive storytelling, was still present in 2077. The actual core plot of 2077 was a bit dumb but a lot of the side stories were great, some remarkably strong. As long as they don't make a bunch of over the top promises that they can't deliver, there's no real reason why The Witcher 4 can't be great. Honestly, all they would really have to focus on from a growth standpoint is building better combat mechanics and maybe fleshing out the RPG elements.

As much as I'm soured on any original concept CDPR tries its hand at going forward, I feel safe being hyped for a new Witcher game.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going to be cool to see Eriksen back with Denmark this break! What a great comeback story!

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Engines can have issues especially if they are terribly documented. From the sounds of it, they were massively updating the engine and developing the game concurrent which caused a ton of issues on CyberPunk.

Engine core can have issues no doubt, but a lot of bugs can also happen on a scripting level (Layer above the engine). I can't speak on which part the issues were occurring with Cyberpunk, but just saying, switching to another engine is not going to magically resolve their problems. Assuming Unreal 5 is a better engine, there's still a learning curve behind it, so they better be really careful with their timeline.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Soccer forum is down the hall on the left lol
Lol yup wrong room here....I'll see myself out.

But in all honesty, pumped for a new Witcher game. Since beating #3 I have read all the books and watched the show. One of my favourite worlds!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Seems kind of a desperate post-cyberpunk early announcement to get some positive press and ease their investors.

At the very least, I think fan reaction will be muted no mater how Witcher 4 looks given how much of a debacle cyberpunk's launch was.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
this is a game that will bring me back to gaming again. wore myself out on rebirth island warzone and fozra horizon 5 as there have been no other games lately that interested me. probably will release in time for the next pandemic :rolleyes:

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I find this very fitting since I am still in the middle of my first play through of TW3. The show is what got me into the Witcher series and I’ve been playing TW3 for just over a month and still haven’t beaten it. This game has a lot to live up to. TW3 is the best story and arguably the best game I’ve played

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The company needs to make a lot of changes internally if they want to do this right. Not only did the whole Cyberpunk debacle lost them all the goodwill they had but, it also exposed to rotten working conditions. It revealed how the Witcher 3 working out as well as it did was pretty much employees pulling out a rabbit out of their hat. The higher ups took that for granted and expected another miracle with Cyberpunk and we saw how that ended.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I find this very fitting since I am still in the middle of my first play through of TW3. The show is what got me into the Witcher series and I’ve been playing TW3 for just over a month and still haven’t beaten it. This game has a lot to live up to. TW3 is the best story and arguably the best game I’ve played

I would advise you take your time finishing up that first play through. Do every sidequest you can as some of them have great stories and characters.

This is the only game I've ever played where I put my controller down after finishing the main story and felt sad the journey was over.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I would advise you take your time finishing up that first play through. Do every sidequest you can as some of them have great stories and characters.

This is the only game I've ever played where I put my controller down after finishing the main story and felt sad the journey was over.

I just now got to the battle of Kaer Morhen at level 31 lol. I still have so many side quests and question marks to explore. Still haven’t done any of the expansion stories either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad