Equipment: New wave of hockey helmets

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Hi all,
I have been playing with those guys in the past, all Midget A+ guys and was really outclassed. I left for a level C-D league and have been having a lot of fun and learned different things with them.

Yesterday I played again in the strong league and had a blast, got a goal and maybe a slight concussion... (no issue with light, noise or balance but a slight headache that's just letting me know that it did hit hard)

Now, that Reebok 3k is just not good enough to protect my noggin, hence looking for MUCH better than that entry level helmet.

There are a bunch of new helmets available this year and was wondering what was your experience with those new designs aiming at reducing concussions.

In sight for me is the CCM Resistance with CCM taking over the Reebok brand.

http://www.sourceforsports.com/4028-CCM-Resistance-Hockey-Helmet.aspx

(note that this Canadian dollars pricing, me being in Canada)

Is that WAY too much? Other cheaper options still providing a similar level of protection?

Thanks

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Extra dollars don't mean extra protection from being concussed. If you get a good whack or your head impacts on something badly you are quite possibly getting concussed.

You think NFL helmets help prevent concussions?

A helmet doesn't stop your brain getting rattled. It sits inside its own helmet anyway. Your hockey helmet stops you cracking your skull.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
That being said, the right approach in getting the 'best' helmet is the one that fits the best. Of course, the higher end a helmet is, the better it may help manage impact/rotational forces, despite the fact that none of them can 'prevent' concussions. Start by trying all of the higher end (not necessarily only the top end ones) and see which one fits the best.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Evidently, I do know that it will not fully prevent concussion risks but there are still significant improvements over a basic Reebok 3k with those new higher end models.

Is the difference worth it between a 175$ CAN helmet and a 250$ CAN helmet... Do those helmet wear much faster (soft foam stay compressed after a time, react to sweat or odor elimination spray, etc).

That's a bit what I'm looking for before splurging the cash... My head is worth much more than 250$ but if the 199$ model is more comfortable, more durable and just as good in your opinion, it will be considered.

Thanks

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I wouldn't say that there's a consistent trend in terms of a higher end helmet being more 'durable' than a mid or lower end one (if we do not consider any sort of high impact over its lifespan). While the softer VN foams on a lower end helmet may wear out over an extended period of time, the high end ones have more...parts to the liner that could similarly come loose/tear etc. However, I wouldn't really consider those to be important factors when deciding on a helmet.

Jjbuck

Apr 1, 2014
Best helmet is the I the that fits the best. Ignore price tags, try them all on. Fully adjusted. Take time getting each one perfect.

Then, so straps, bend over. The one that stays put is the best. Gotta fit snug all the way around.

If the highest price and lowest price fit the same, buy the lowest price, spend the difference on a skate coach and run heads up drills.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Best helmet is the I the that fits the best. Ignore price tags, try them all on. Fully adjusted. Take time getting each one perfect.

Then, so straps, bend over. The one that stays put is the best. Gotta fit snug all the way around.

If the highest price and lowest price fit the same, buy the lowest price, spend the difference on a skate coach and run heads up drills.

Huh? This makes no sense. I get that if you're a better skater keeping your head up more, the risk of colliding decreases, but that's independent of when there actually is a head collision... When there is one (that's inevitable), you want to be protected. You don't typically advise young drivers to get bare-bones insurance to save money for quality driving lessons.

If they fit equally as well, the higher end helmet likely has better foams and technologies to better help manage impacts. If OP is looking for that, then I think this topic's been pretty much hashed out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad