New to the sport

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Hello all,

I worked and lived (Yonge-Wellesley) in Toronto for a few months a couple of years ago and have slowly got into all of their sports. First it was Blue Jays as I was out there in the summer, last year I started watching Raptor games and now I'm getting into the Leafs. I've already bought NHL TV and watched the last 3 matches.

Just wondering if you could help me out with a couple of queries:

Depth Chart

Is there anywhere I can find the list of lines?

Draft

Is the draft the same as NFL where they draft players from NCAA?

What is this expansion draft all about?

Prospects

Who are the best prospects the Leafs have?

Strengths

From what i've seen our best players seem to be: Matthews, Marner, Hyman, Kadri and Reilly.

Am I close?

I noticed Komarov was an all star last season so he must be decent?

Weaknesses

Like I say I've only seen 3 matches and I thought the goalie was terrible vs Montreal - is he generally poor?

Who are our weaknesses?

Play-off chances

We got much of a chance?

Trades

Any trades on the horizon?

Media

Whats the best source of media for Leafs? any podcasts or radio shows I should try and tune into?

Schedule

How is the regular season schedule made and how does the play-off schedule work?

Sorry about all of the questions but I am starting to enjoy the sport and would like to be more knowledgable leading up to the play-offs. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions :laugh: - Look forward to chatting to you all.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Draft

Welcome! Yes the draft is similar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Entry_Draft

"The NHL Entry Draft ) is an annual meeting in which every franchise of the National Hockey League (NHL) systematically select the rights to available amateur ice hockey players who meet draft eligibility requirements (North American players 18–20 years old and Europeans of all ages entering the league for the first time, all others enter league as unrestricted free agents). During the draft, teams take turns selecting amateur players from junior, collegiate, or European leagues"

Most of the players come from the Canadian Major Junior Hockey league which has about 60 Teams and drafts 16 year olds from al over the world. NHL also draft from the NCAA and the European leagues as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Welcome. You have a lot of questions but I will attempt to give you a general Leafs idea of where to find your information. I would recommend looking through google for a lot of questions on the schedule, playoff format, etc.

The depth chart and prospects you can find anywhere on the internet with a simple google search. It's fairly subjective though so not every outlet will have 100% accuracy on the rankings and what not. Here's a few websites that you may enjoy and find the information you need:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/toronto_maple_leafs/ (prospects)

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs (salary cap)

http://theleafsnation.com/ (fan site with a lot of news and opinions)

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/ (fan site with a lot of news and opinions)

I'd also suggest following a few of the beat writers and MSM on twitter for news on the lines, trades, transactions and whatever else. Mirtle, Shilton, Alter, Henny, Dreger, Leafs PR, and countless other Toronto/NHL reporters.

The Leafs have been a fairly bad and mediocre team in the last 15 years or so. They've changed their management and coaches a lot through those times trying to find a way to get back on top where they belong sort to speak. Recently, Brendan Shanahan was hired as the President of the Leafs and has begun what is called a rebuild. This term is what we refer as building your core through the draft and developing young players, something the Leafs never have done much of in the last 3 decades. They've always traded for older players while trying to always be competitive.

So what you're watching right now is one of the youngest Leafs rosters ever assembled and also probably one of the most promising ones in decades.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Weren't you the "Welsh Dragon" a few months ago... surely you've seen more than just 3 games in as many months?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hello all,

I worked and lived (Yonge-Wellesley) in Toronto for a few months a couple of years ago and have slowly got into all of their sports. First it was Blue Jays as I was out there in the summer, last year I started watching Raptor games and now I'm getting into the Leafs. I've already bought NHL TV and watched the last 3 matches.

Depth Chart

Draft

Prospects

Strengths

From what i've seen our best players seem to be: Matthews, Marner, Hyman, Kadri and Reilly.

Am I close?

Weaknesses

Like I say I've only seen 3 matches and I thought the goalie was terrible vs Montreal - is he generally poor?

Who are our weaknesses?

Play-off chances

We got much of a chance?

Trades

Media

Whats the best source of media for Leafs? any podcasts or radio shows I should try and tune into?

Schedule

How is the regular season schedule made and how does the play-off schedule work?

Sorry about all of the questions but I am starting to enjoy the sport and would like to be more knowledgable leading up to the play-offs. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions :laugh: - Look forward to chatting to you all.

Welcome aboard! The answers to the specifics of the questions are available with google.

Ie. Leafs depth chart 2017

Many questions are answered here but we all link things here or search them out the same way. If you follow hfboards you will always be up to date on the Leafs and will come across posts regarding all the topics you mentioned.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Usually I find the updated lines on the GDT in this forum. They sometimes change with different guys in and out.

They draft players from all over the world. The only parameter is you're date of birth being before Sept 15th? of your 18 y/o year. A lot of players come from CHL, USHL, Russia, Sweden, etc.

They are adding the new Vegas team next season, so Vegas has to fill out their roster with players from around the league. Basically every team has to protect their best players and Vegas can pick from what's left. There are a lot of rules and parameters around this.

Well besides the 7 or so rookies playing on the current NHL team, they have Kapanen, Grundstrom, Dermott, Neilsen, Leipsic, Woll.

Am I close?

Not Hyman. But on top of the others you suggested also our goalie Andersen, JVR, Nylander, Zaitsev, Gardiner.

Last year the leafs were mostly a completely different team that was not good. Komarov had a good season going so he was chosen, but JVR probably would have gone had he not been injured. Not to take away from Komarov, he is a decent player, not an all star tho.

Our goalie is actually really good. He did let in a couple weak ones against Montreal but small sample size won't tell the tale ever in this sport.

Who are our weaknesses?
Hunwick, Polak, Carrick on defense.
Bozak and JVR are not defensive forwards at all. The rest of the group struggle only because they are young and are learning the professional game.
We need to be a better defensive team overall.

We got much of a chance?
Not this year. Probably not next year although we may make playoffs. But the year after and onward hopefully we will be making multiple cup runs.

Maybe Bozak to make room for Nylander moving to the wing.
We need to acquire a good RD, whether it be via trade this season, this off season, draft, or free agency. Yet to be seen,

Leafs Lunch seems to be a good chat about the team. I don't watch or listen to them very regularly.

The league makes the schedule around other events.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Hey Welsh. Welcome aboard man. It's a fun ride.

I see that most people have already answered your questions quite thoroughly, so I won't add to spam, other than to say welcome.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Hello all,

Depth Chart

Draft

Prospects

Strengths

Am I close?

Weaknesses

Who are our weaknesses?

Play-off chances

We got much of a chance?

Trades

Media

Schedule

Depth Chart: You can look at hockeydb or elite prospects

Draft: No. You can draft players from all around the world as long as they are draft eligible. And the expansion draft is what happens when a new team comes into the league. They pretty much take 1 person from each team to create their team. But a team can protect either 7 forwards, 3 Defensemen, and 1 goalie, or 8 skaters in total. For more, check out this https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Prospects: Asides from the kids already on the team, I'd go with: Kapanen, Leipsic, Nielsen, Dermott, Korshkov, and Grundstrom

Strengths: Offensively, we're a great team. Komarov is not an all-star. He had a career year last year, and we had no one better to send at that point.

Weaknesses: We have two holes in our Defense. A shutdown guy, and a top pairing RD. We have a few shutdown D prospects (Dermott, Greenway, Middleton) so I'm not worried about that, bit we sorely need a top pairing RD. Also, Andersen generally doesnt play bad. He had a bad stretch of games at the start of the year because he was coming off a shoulder injury, but has been one of the best in the league since then. What you saw was a result of him being overplayed as we have no backup, and it was the second night of a back to back. Plus the first night of it was in Jersey.

Playoff chances: Don't bet on it. The only reason we were in the conversation for playoffs was because of Andersen's superhuman stretch of games. This team is abysmal defensively

Trades: People seem to be stuck on the idea that JVR is going to be traded for a top 4 RD, but the leafs have no one to replace his net front presence. A trade you could see by the deadline is Bozak. Maybe even Polak/Hunwick

Media: Toronto has a horrible reputation for its media. The worst of the worst are Simmons and Eklund. Steve Dangle is more of a comedian than a reporter. Mirtle and McKenzie are pretty good leafs reporters

Schedule: Each team plays an 82 game schedule during the regular season. There are four rounds in the playoffs, each are best of 7. During the regular season, a win is worth 2 points, a loss is worth 0, and an Overtime/shootout loss is worth 1. During the playoffs, there is no shootout. It's just 5v5 until someone scores

Welcome to Leafs Nation! Hope you enjoy your stay!:handclap:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Welcome :)

something to remember is that the Leafs very rarely let things leak out, aka. "Cone of Silence" so if you do hear anything take it with a grain of salt.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
A little different than the NFL when it comes to the depth chart. You're not gonna have your players listed the way they do E.G. WR 1, 2, 3 etc. No such thing as second/third string guys.

You have your 4 forward lines and 3 defensive pairs. If somebody get's injured, you're down a man for the game. No immediate replacement.

The leafs board here should be able to answer all your questions. The biggest thing you need to know is that we are a rebuilding team but we have some absolute dynamite pieces in place. This team is very likely going to be a legit cup contender for many years, starting in around 2019. IMO the best young core in the nhl hands down.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Welcome to the greatest fan base in the NHL my friend.

When it comes to media there is actually a thread that was just started a few days ago worth checking. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2172937

Personally I use The Athletic TO daily. Sportsnet and TSN mobile apps are pretty good as well. When it comes to twitter Kristen Shilton, James Mirtle, Jonas Siegel, and Elliot Friedman are all great follows.

You are joining this fan base at a great time. This team has had over a decade of disappointment and it looks as though we are turning a corner. Welcome aboard!

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Hello all,

Welcome aboard, you picked a good time to join the fanbase. I'll preface this with: The Leafs are a 100 year old franchise, one of the first 6 that began the NHL that is now expanding to 31 teams. We have been in a dark period since the early 1990's when the team was good, and it's been since 1967 since we won a championship

We now have what is arguably the best farm system in the history of the franchise, a lot of young talent on the way and currently playing their rookie years

We also have had a number of incompetent management groups, and it appears that the one in place now is stellar based on their early returns. Scouting for the draft, which is probably the most important aspect (The best thing a coach can do is have good players), is doing a particularly good job from what we can tell - though many of the young players they have drafted are not yet in the lineup many are doing very well in other leagues

Depth Chart

This site usually stays relatively up to date, good for an idea of the current lines: http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/40/toronto-maple-leafs

Not necessarily indicative of who the best players are - unlike most sports, hockey is a high-exertion continuous play format so lines change frequently, so your 1st/2nd/3rd line forwards play similar amounts of time and your 1st/2nd pairing defensemen play similar amounts of time (defensemen play more icetime than forwards)

The resource posted above is more accurate in tracking who plays with who rather than the order or hierarchy of the lines

Draft

The draft includes players from all over the world, they're drafted younger than the NFL - first year of eligibility is at 18 years of age and a player gets 3 years of eligibility before he has passed through the draft, at which time he can sign anywhere. More than 90% of NHL'ers are drafted, not signed as undrafted overagers (we have Bozak, Soshnikov and Zaitsev who are overage undrafted players, but that's an exception)

The expansion draft is the introduction of a brand new franchise to the league (expanding to Las Vegas, 31 teams up from 30) so they don't have a roster and get to pick players off of other teams roster to be able to ice a team (subject to contract status conditions, and teams get to protect a number of players - the team that Las Vegas ices will be very bad next year, but will draft high as a result and should rise to relevance in 6-10 years)

Prospects

Tiers:
Auston Matthews - near generational talent (could be one of top 5 players in the league, and if we're really lucky could be one of the best players of his generation), could retire as the best player that the leafs have ever had in 100 years of existence

Marner - could be a top 10 scorer, plays wing - similar to striker in soccer, very little defensive responsibility (more than a striker has though), depended on for scoring
Nylander - could be a top 10-20 scorer, playing centre which is the most important forward position

Connor Brown, Kasperi Kapanen - young scoring wingers with upside to be very good top 2 line scorers, both are ready to play now (Brown is playing)

Andrew Neilsen, Travis Dermott - young defensemen with top 4 upside, maybe top pairing upside for Neilsen (similar position to lumping sweeper+midfielder together, lots of defensive responsibility but gets involved in the offense too, it's not uncommon for a defensemen to join the rush and get to the same place on the ice that the forwards do in the offensive zone)

Other noteable prospects who could be good playes (many won't turn out): Brendan Leipsic, Jeremy Bracco, Carl Grundstrom, Yegor Korshkov, Adam Brooks, Dmytro Timashov, Andreas Johnsson, Rinat Valiev

Strengths

You're close - add James Van Riemsdyk, and Frederik Andersen (the Goalie)

Komarov was an allstar because every team sends at least one player, and our team was absolutely terrible. Komarov had a good year, but even then it was only good enough to be about the 6th best scorer on a contending team

Weaknesses

Our biggest weakness is that we're young. We have some pieces left to get rid of (probably Komarov, Bozak, Hunwick, Polak) to replace with more high-talent youth. Overall it's projecting as a very well rounded team

Play-off chances

It's looking like we have a better than 50% shot right now, which is very very good from where we were a year ago. The difference with NA leagues to European leagues is that some of them have a hard salary cap, like the NHL does, so typically players who develop into stars command bigger salaries and teams that have a bunch of young talent eventually end up losing some of them to free agency because they don't have enough cap space to sign them, then eventually their core players get old and they trade them for picks and prospects to "rebuild" the franchise's player personnel. That's the stage we're in right now, the "rebuild" stage, but it looks like we are on our way to being contenders with young players from the rebuild in Matthews, Marner, Nylander and I guess you could say that Rielly, Kadri and Gardiner will be part of it as well although they were in the organization before the "rebuild" officially started

Trades

Maybe Bozak, Komarov, Polak, Hunwick and possibly Van Riemsdyk. The first 4 are lesser role players and if they're traded its for later round draft picks or prospects, Van Riemsdyk is a front line forward that's on the bubble as to whether he's young enough to still be good when the team is. It's looking like the team is ahead of schedule so Van Riemsdyk might be staying

Media

TSN 1050 Leafs Lunch is fun to listen to....there's no shortage of Leafs coverage anywhere in our media though

Schedule

The regular season is made by the league, primarily based on the logistics of getting teams in the right place to complete a 41 home game + 41 away game schedule, while making sure that the big market teams get the prime air time...there's not many saturday nights that will pass without a Leaf game at 7pm

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Ill breakdown the leafs for you:

-Mathews and Marner are our future superstars
-Our defense sucks
-Reilly is our only hope for defense
-Looks like our goalies are pretty good (Anderson is the starter)
-We have the best coach in the league
-Hardworking, skilled and offensive and young team with horrible defense
-Probably gonna trade a forward for a defensemen to upgrade defense
-Trade bait: JVR (vanriemsdyk), Nylander, Bozak
-Team cant hold leads

Best players are: Mathews, Marner, Reilly and JVR (in that order)
Most hardworking: Hyman, Brown, Soshnikov and Komarov

This is in my opinion and someone will disagree somewhere but this is an overall accurate view of the leafs for most fans

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ill breakdown the leafs for you:

-Mathews and Marner are our future superstars
-Our defense sucks
-Reilly is our only hope for defense
-Looks like our goalies are pretty good (Anderson is the starter)
-We have the best coach in the league
-Hardworking, skilled and offensive and young team with horrible defense
-Probably gonna trade a forward for a defensemen to upgrade defense
-Trade bait: JVR (vanriemsdyk), Nylander, Bozak
-Team cant hold leads

Best players are: Mathews, Marner, Reilly and JVR (in that order)
Most hardworking: Hyman, Brown, Soshnikov and Komarov

This is in my opinion and someone will disagree somewhere but this is an overall accurate view of the leafs for most fans

I think these points are very misleading. There are 2 components of the defense that are really bad - Hunwick and Polak, both of which have been better of late and are likely gone after this year. Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev have been good, Carrick has been ok in a role that's too much to ask of him at this point of his career. I think the vigor that you're using in describing the defense is overstating how large our needs are for someone getting acclimated - we need 2 more good defensemen, 1 to play a top 4 role which is hard to find without trading big pieces, and 1 to play a bottom pairing role that is easy enough to get

Nylander is the 3rd or 4th least likely player on a roster of more than 20 to be traded, there's a handful of right handed defensemen that he may be available for

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hello all,

Depth Chart

Draft

Prospects

Strengths

Am I close?

Weaknesses

Who are our weaknesses?

Play-off chances

We got much of a chance?

Trades

Media

Schedule

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/depthchart/Tor

has small synopsis on each player's strength's and weakness as well as games played scoring pim's and toi

lines are quite fluid

some lines stay together others evolve as the season wears on

allstar shmallstar....changes yearly and is as useless as the shoot out

TRADES?

one thing is for certain almost everyone but Leafs management and a few of us want's to trade Bozak :deadhorse......

don't worry about trades it'll only drive you crazy:nod:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I think these points are very misleading. There are 2 components of the defense that are really bad - Hunwick and Polak, both of which have been better of late and are likely gone after this year. Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev have been good, Carrick has been ok in a role that's too much to ask of him at this point of his career. I think the vigor that you're using in describing the defense is overstating how large our needs are for someone getting acclimated - we need 2 more good defensemen, 1 to play a top 4 role which is hard to find without trading big pieces, and 1 to play a bottom pairing role that is easy enough to get

Nylander is the 3rd or 4th least likely player on a roster of more than 20 to be traded, there's a handful of right handed defensemen that he may be available for

As I stated above its my opinion, but I disagree with you I think Reilly has struggled this year as a top pairing defensemen, I think Carrick is in over his head as a 2nd pairing defensemen. Zaitsev and Gardner are good 2nd pairing defensemen. The leafs have blown too many leads this year to not acknowledge bad defense. They have blown multiple 3 goal leads with half the 3rd period left and that to me is evidence of bad defense.

I see Reilly, Zaitsev and Gardner as good and I see Polak, Hunwick and Carrick as bad. This means that half of our defensemen are not adequate in their current position. I view Toronto as bad defensively, this is my point of view.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
As I stated above its my opinion, but I disagree with you I think Reilly has struggled this year as a top pairing defensemen, I think Carrick is in over his head as a 2nd pairing defensemen. Zaitsev and Gardner are good 2nd pairing defensemen. The leafs have blown too many leads this year to not acknowledge bad defense. They have blown multiple 3 goal leads with half the 3rd period left and that to me is evidence of bad defense.

I see Reilly, Zaitsev and Gardner as good and I see Polak, Hunwick and Carrick as bad. This means that half of our defensemen are not adequate in their current position. I view Toronto as bad defensively, this is my point of view.

The numbers say that Rielly has been very good as a #1Dman, I think it's just been so long since we had one that we forget they aren't perfect. Agree on the Carrick and Zaitsev/Gardiner points, but that leaves us with one hole in the top 4 and one in the bottom pairing (Carrick is over his head as a top 4, but is an NHL defenseman so he's fine in one of the bottom pairing spots)- don't think that's a horrendous position to be in given the league-wide need for defensemen right now

Agree that holding leads has been a problem, but Hunwick-Polak play way too often in those situations (someone did the math and found that they play as much as Rielly-Zaitsev and more than Gardiner-Carrick in those situations), so need to plug the obvious holes

Anyway, just think that "horrible" is an overstatement and that a new fan might be mislead - in my estimation we need a little work but are 3/4 the way to a good top 4 (which is the most important thing) and 4/6 of the way to a complete defense that's good enough to contend with the strength of our goaltending and forwards

Hunwick and Polak have been our steadiest pairing most of the season but alas as LeafLand needs Dmen to hate and they seem to be the current whipping boys

I suggest you watch the games listen to the experts who do not try to make opinion but clearly analyze the play

this link may also help, it's hockey 101 http://www.omha.net/page/show/885485-coach-and-player-resources

and perhaps buy this book

https://www.amazon.ca/Hockey-Coaching-Bible-Joseph-Bertagna/dp/0736062017

They have been better by the eye test as of late, but were atrocious to start the year and are still by far our weakest pairing. There's a reason that teams are buying into "advanced stats" that show the player's effect on the team's possession/shot differential ratio while they are on the ice and the difference in the same for his team mates when he is on and off the ice. They are the worst pairing, and its not close: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...fense&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Would guess that they also face the easiest competition, the sites I use don't have this year's data yet...if Zeke is around he'll probably post that

This is good news though, these guys are both in the last year of their contracts and are the oldest 2 guys on the D corps, they are very replaceable and we now have some of the hardest parts to get in Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Welcome to the emotional roller coaster ride that is the Leafs.

One benefit for having so much coverage is you can find all the info you desire about the team.

If you're into reading about the Leafs, theAthletic has a TO section and they're great quality articles. Would highly recommend their stuff.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The numbers say that Rielly has been very good as a #1Dman, I think it's just been so long since we had one that we forget they aren't perfect. Agree on the Carrick and Zaitsev/Gardiner points, but that leaves us with one hole in the top 4 and one in the bottom pairing (Carrick is over his head as a top 4, but is an NHL defenseman so he's fine in one of the bottom pairing spots)- don't think that's a horrendous position to be in given the league-wide need for defensemen right now

Agree that holding leads has been a problem, but Hunwick-Polak play way too often in those situations (someone did the math and found that they play as much as Rielly-Zaitsev and more than Gardiner-Carrick in those situations), so need to plug the obvious holes

Anyway, just think that "horrible" is an overstatement and that a new fan might be mislead - in my estimation we need a little work but are 3/4 the way to a good top 4 (which is the most important thing) and 4/6 of the way to a complete defense that's good enough to contend with the strength of our goaltending and forwards

They have been better by the eye test as of late, but were atrocious to start the year and are still by far our weakest pairing. There's a reason that teams are buying into "advanced stats" that show the player's effect on the team's possession/shot differential ratio while they are on the ice and the difference in the same for his team mates when he is on and off the ice. They are the worst pairing, and its not close: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...fense&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Would guess that they also face the easiest competition, the sites I use don't have this year's data yet...if Zeke is around he'll probably post that

This is good news though, these guys are both in the last year of their contracts and are the oldest 2 guys on the D corps, they are very replaceable and we now have some of the hardest parts to get in Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev

who do they normally play behind? it's one of those things advanced stats ignore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad