New to Hockey and the Caps

KirbyK

Oct 2, 2019
Silver Spring, MD
Greetings. I'm a long-suffering Redskins fan looking for a new sport to follow. Hockey has intrigued me for a while and since I'm local to DC the Caps are the logical choice to follow.

I have a lot to learn and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good place to learn the fundamentals of hockey (sort of a "hockey for dummies).

This message board was highly recommended to me by a longtime participant on this board who also is on a Redskins board I've been on for years, so I'm looking forward to participating here!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Welcome! Are you referring to the CPND board? I used to post there but haven't been in years as the Redskins are increasingly worth less and less of my time. Unfortunately you missed the zenith of Caps fandom in 2018 but here's hoping they'll provide some great fan experiences for you moving forward. And, let's be honest, nothing in sports is worse than being a Redskins fan so you can only go up from here.

I used this search on YouTube for a friend who was trying to get into hockey... plenty of short videos explaining the basics of the sport. There are a lot of nuances to the sport that you'll come to love/hate like line combinations, prospect development (which is very different in the NHL than in the NFL), etc but just focus on understanding the game first. The more games you watch the more you'll understand it and enjoy it, and I highly recommend catching a game at Capital One Arena if you can because the game day experience is awesome and there are few things better than live hockey.

Feel free to post any questions you have or send a DM if you prefer that. Go Caps!

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greetings. I'm a long-suffering Redskins fan looking for a new sport to follow. Hockey has intrigued me for a while and since I'm local to DC the Caps are the logical choice to follow.

I have a lot to learn and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good place to learn the fundamentals of hockey (sort of a "hockey for dummies).

This message board was highly recommended to me by a longtime participant on this board who also is on a Redskins board I've been on for years, so I'm looking forward to participating here!

First of all, congratulations on being a smart person.

I too am a recovering Redskins fan.

I took a vow never to give Dan Snyder another penny. It's been over 10 years now.

Enjoy hockey and enjoy Alex Ovechkin. You will never see another player quite like him.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Welcome KirbyK. I see I'm not the only Skins fan fed up with the their ineptitude and willful stupidity.

Hope you dig the sport it will feel like bizarro world hearing Washington used in the same sentence as playoffs and we'll run but remember this is hockey not football. :highclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad