New system needed for free agency due to draft lottery

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I'm ok with a lottery for the draft as long as there is some kind of system put in for free agency. Teams like the Rangers, Minnesota will always have an advantage in free agency and that's not fair to small market teams that are only attractive when they have a chance to win the cup. No team will always be good and once a small market team is down, it's much harder for them to get better than a big market teams or teams with players who want to live near where they grew up.

Some kind of ranking (by salary?) needs to be put on free agents and then each team should be allotted so many points each year (equal amount) which should also be allowed to carried over. The points allows you to purchase free agents. I'm thinking of a system like how points are allotted for timeshares. Teams would also be allowed to trade the points.

Thoughts?

Alexander Baigle

Jun 27, 2011
Great White North
You've got to remember that these players are in fact human beings with desires and preferences and obligations outside the sport of hockey, it's unethical for the NHL to dictate where exactly a player lives for 20 years of his life.

The free agency could become a little more fair if the salary cap took each markets tax rate into account. When Stamkos becomes a free agent he would need to sign for 10 Million in Toronto to take home what 8 million would get him in Tampa. (Probably not exact.) Not to mention the cost of living

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Players should only be allowed to sign in their home province/state (or next closest if no team)

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
While this is a silly idea, it does serve to highlight how dumb some of the "fix the draft" proposals are.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I'd like the idea of draft compensation if the draft were deeper, but it's not.

One thing they can do is limit how many big contracts a team can sign in a certain number of years.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
You've got to remember that these players are in fact human beings with desires and preferences and obligations outside the sport of hockey, it's unethical for the NHL to dictate where exactly a player lives for 20 years of his life.

The free agency could become a little more fair if the salary cap took each markets tax rate into account. When Stamkos becomes a free agent he would need to sign for 10 Million in Toronto to take home what 8 million would get him in Tampa. (Probably not exact.) Not to mention the cost of living

I'm not saying that a player has no choice. I'm saying that a team can't sign up the best free agents year after year. A team like Minnesota wouldn't have been able to get Suter and Parise in the same year under my system (unless they traded for more points). The player (free agent) would still be able to go to all other teams that qualify.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The problem with this is that the NHL WANTS the best teams to be in the biggest markets. The big markets are already being punished by the cap in the interest of fairness, why double punish them? If the biggest hockey markets where the only ones that were competitive, that would be one thing, but thats just not the case...the league is extremely level already.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not saying that a player has no choice. I'm saying that a team can't sign up the best free agents year after year. A team like Minnesota wouldn't have been able to get Suter and Parise in the same year under my system (unless they traded for more points). The player (free agent) would still be able to go to all other teams that qualify.

Your view looks at players as commodities and not as human beings...

What if you were told you couldn't have your dream job because the government says only one person can move to that city per year, but don't worry theres 29 other jobs that are less desirable to you that you can have.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
The problem with this is that the NHL WANTS the best teams to be in the biggest markets. The big markets are already being punished by the cap in the interest of fairness, why double punish them? If the biggest hockey markets where the only ones that were competitive, that would be one thing, but thats just not the case...the league is extremely level already.

If there is not a level playing field on free agency, then there should not be a draft lottery.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

You always see people making a comment, then putting /thread at the end of it. This is probably the only comment that has ever warranted doing that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm ok with a lottery for the draft as long as there is some kind of system put in for free agency. Teams like the Rangers, Minnesota will always have an advantage in free agency and that's not fair to small market teams that are only attractive when they have a chance to win the cup. No team will always be good and once a small market team is down, it's much harder for them to get better than a big market teams or teams with players who want to live near where they grew up.

Some kind of ranking (by salary?) needs to be put on free agents and then each team should be allotted so many points each year (equal amount) which should also be allowed to carried over. The points allows you to purchase free agents. I'm thinking of a system like how points are allotted for timeshares. Teams would also be allowed to trade the points.

Thoughts?
Since when is Minnesota considered a major market where they have an advantage over other teams when it comes to free agents? I know that in the last few years they signed Parise, Suter, and Vanek, however they all had previous ties to Minnesota and I'm sure it's a major reason they signed there. So when was the last time they signed someone with a big name who didn't have any ties to Minnesota?

GerbeSonOfGloin

May 27, 2011
A points system seems is needlessly complicated. The easiest fix is banning/limiting NTC's/NMC's. Something like, limit of three such clauses per team, and "limited" or conditional NTC's are banned. Full NTC or bust.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Thoughts?

How does this differ from the salary cap?

Right now whether you are big market or not you have a fixed amount of money you can spend and that's it. It doesn't matter if half the league wants to play in Toronto, New York and LA, those teams can only spend as much as the other ones in the league

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

That's why the cap exists. UFAs are expensive, and the best ones tend to take up a large chunk of the cap. When Min signed Parise and Suter, they inherently removed their ability to sign more high profile UFAs because they'd just locked up 20% of their cap space in two players.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Kind of takes the "free" out of free agency, doesn't it?

That time of year when supporters of bad teams with poor futures flood these boards with bad ideas.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
100% agreed. People always complain about the Oilers getting top picks but nobody talks about free, developed talent in their primes like Parise/Suter/Kovalchuk/Hossa/Statsny/etc...propping up teams.

Players should always be free to go where they want. They should have compensatory picks or cap relief for teams that lose high level guys in FA (like the NFL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad