New Stat?

Shawn the Hockey Kid

Jun 7, 2013
Western Mass
On my walk home from school today I thought this up. I wanted to show positive actions in a player. TOI is not accounted for in this.

Pts+H+BS+SOG+TkA

GvA+PIM(Excluding Fights)

I just thought I would write it down and send it through you guys first. I call is Positive to Negative Ratio or P/N.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It's an interesting effort - thank you for posting it.

My first critique is that it implicitly assumes that all of the items in the numerator have the same value (so a goal has the same value as a shot on goal, and the same value as a hit). I'd recommend weighting each of the components (also with the denominator) in some fashion to maximize what you're trying to exhibit.

Also, with some of the less-precise stats (like hits) you'll run into situations where some rinks count more loosely than others, so players who play in those (home) rinks will have their statistics inflated.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'd also recommend removing offsetting penalties from PIM since they don't hurt your team, although that may require manual work.

Also, I think you may run into issues with high possession players. Players who possess the puck frequently will tend to have fewer takeaways, fewer hits and fewer blocked shots simply because they have fewer chances to do so. They'll also have more giveaways simply because they have the puck for longer.

Either way, it's a decent first blush and it'll be interesting to see how you develop the idea and explore it's impacts.

Shawn the Hockey Kid

Jun 7, 2013
Western Mass
How about gross and net? Gross is unweighted. A quantitative measure of how many good actions to bad actions. Net is weighted. How positive or negative a player's impact is.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It would be interesting to see the difference between the two. Also what about a defensive vs offensive version? Offensive has higher weight on things like shots and points, defensive has higher weight on things like blocks, hits and takeaways.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Interesting idea, but I just think the hits/giveaway/takeaway stats are far too subjectively recorded for it to be trusted fully.

Shawn the Hockey Kid

Jun 7, 2013
Western Mass
It's an interesting effort - thank you for posting it.

My first critique is that it implicitly assumes that all of the items in the numerator have the same value (so a goal has the same value as a shot on goal, and the same value as a hit). I'd recommend weighting each of the components (also with the denominator) in some fashion to maximize what you're trying to exhibit.

Also, with some of the less-precise stats (like hits) you'll run into situations where some rinks count more loosely than others, so players who play in those (home) rinks will have their statistics inflated.

Gross would be the same. Net is weighted like this...

(5 x Pts.)+(2 x TkA)+H+B+SOG

(2 x GvA) + (3 x PIM) (excluding fights)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad