Equipment: New skates, small defect - to return or not to return?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Hi HF,

If you read the skate buying advice thread yesterday you know I just bought new Easton Mako II skates from a Total Hockey brick & mortar store. Last night I noticed that one of the seams on the right skate isn't flush with the rest of the boot like it is on the other skate.

What I'm trying to decide is, should I return them? I don't much care about the aesthetics, but I don't want the steam issue to become a bigger problem down the road. Pics:

IMG_20160117_103830522_zpsb7cofsbt.jpg

IMG_20160117_103838122_zpsr9gv6gpn.jpg

IMG_20160117_103848704_zps9v3mbwwo.jpg

IMG_20160117_103854558_zpsyhqnp8oi.jpg

New%20skate%201_zpspcnmwjqs.jpg

What do you think? Would you return them? I'm leaning toward yes.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
How is it attached to what's beneath it? Glue? Double stitching? Is what's beneath it carbon?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I would just to be on the safe side. Since it's a manufacturing defect, the store probably won't have to eat any of the costs of taking them back (they'll send them back as defective to Easton and be provided with a replacement for their inventory).

Or, at least that's how it should work.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I would just to be on the safe side. Since it's a manufacturing defect, the store probably won't have to eat any of the costs of taking them back (they'll send them back as defective to Easton and be provided with a replacement for their inventory).

Or, at least that's how it should work.

Yeah that's how it should work. OP, if you try this, let us know what they say, because Easton laid off all of their sales and support staff save for a handful.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
How is it attached to what's beneath it? Glue? Double stitching? Is what's beneath it carbon?

Hard to tell, but it looks like glue on the good (left) skate and nothing on the bad (right) skate.

I decided to pull the trigger on the return. First I used the online chat feature on totalhockey.com, and they told me it shouldn't be a problem and to call the store. Called the store and they said they'd be happy to do it, but they need to get another pair of 8.0s from another store, so I should be able to pick them up later this week.

I'm not surprised, in my experience Total Hockey is pretty customer friendly.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Sounds good, hope it's smooth sailing from here on. I will be very interested to hear your experiences and reviews on it as you skate on them!

NickWTH

Jan 18, 2016
Hi,

I work at the TH corporate office. I would recommend taking them back to the store to have them looked at. It appears, given the toe box separation, that this should be covered under the warranty. If you have any questions, please email or call us, we're happy to help!

Nick
Total Hockey Customer Service
[email protected]

roffleburger

Dec 21, 2011
Hi HF,

If you read the skate buying advice thread yesterday you know I just bought new Easton Mako II skates from a Total Hockey brick & mortar store. Last night I noticed that one of the seams on the right skate isn't flush with the rest of the boot like it is on the other skate.

What I'm trying to decide is, should I return them? I don't much care about the aesthetics, but I don't want the steam issue to become a bigger problem down the road. Pics:

What do you think? Would you return them? I'm leaning toward yes.

As someone who had to return his Mako 1's for some stitching coming out in the heel, I definitely recommend returning them if they're still under warranty and getting a new pair. Otherwise it will become an issue down the line.

Cheers

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Hi,

I work at the TH corporate office. I would recommend taking them back to the store to have them looked at. It appears, given the toe box separation, that this should be covered under the warranty. If you have any questions, please email or call us, we're happy to help!

Nick
Total Hockey Customer Service
[email protected]

Thanks Nick. I called the store and they're shipping in a new set for me, so I should be all good.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I finally got to use them and man, this is going to be a big adjustment. I felt totally discombobulated when I first got on the ice. The last couple of times I switched skates it was a quick adjustment because there wasn't much difference in the skates, but the Mako 2s are nothing like my old EQ40s. The runners are pitched forward more and they seem to be placed slightly differently on the boot, so everything was thrown off.

They feel great on my feet, and they seem to be a lot lighter than the EQ40s, but actually skating is rough at the moment, and I've always been a naturally good skater relative to my peers.

The hardest bit was crossing over to the left for some reason. The blade isn't where I think it should be, so the whole process becomes awkward.

I'll update in a few weeks when I've skated on them more than once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad