New skates failed the pencil test. Painful lace burn.

Cremebrulee

Nov 14, 2023
Hi everyone

I recently purchased my first hockey skates from a skate store and they are not really a great fit (despite getting fitted).

The problem I have is that I have really high arches and the skates I bought aren’t very deep (Bauer Vapor). I was hoping that getting skates fitted would have avoided this.

Is there anything I can do to make skating less painful and not get lace burn? I mean my foot arches are probably like 1/4 inch above the eyelets.

Thanks

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So hey - I'm not an expert. Probably someone will come along with better advice than I can give. Hell I haven't even heard of the term "lace burn" (googling does suggest the term "lace bite"?)

Only two bits of advice or suggestion I might have are this:

1. You say you have high arches. Try insoles (aka Superfeet or the like). Many people swear by them.

2. Did you get your skates heat-molded? I transitioned to new skates a month or two ago. First couple times - they HURT! Getting them heat-molded made a world of difference.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Vapours are known for their narrow and slim volume fit, Bauer supremes and Nexus (if still made) are wider.
A bigger volume boot might have been better, but for now I’d try changing insoles.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Give us more details on the model, size and "Fit" of Vapor you bought. Bauer moved away from the "Vapor is for narrow feet" mantra a few years ago. Now you can get Vapors and Supremes in various "Fits". Allowing the "Vapor person" to use Supremes now or vice versa. However, it really doesn't translate that easy. A Vapor in the same size and Fit as a Supreme will still feel and fit differently.

Fit 1, being the most narrow/shallow,
Fit 2, being a bit wider/deeper
Fit 3, being the widest and deepest (closest to the discontinued Nexus line)

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Best I can recommend is bending your leg so your skate is directly below you when you lace/tie them. Make sure your knee is above your toes, rather than outstretched in front of you. That sometimes helps with lace bite. I'd also recommend insoles with good support, but there may not be enough volume in the skate to accomodate the extra space the insoles will take up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You could add some volume by switching out the bulkier stock Bauer tongues and replace them with the lower volume, simplier Nash brand tongue. Started wearing Nash tongues to replace some Bauer tongues a few years back and now I'll use Nash tongues in all my skates moving forward. I find you also get a better foot wrap using these.

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Used to get lace bite years ago with a pair of old Grafs - a regular kitchen sponge under the tongue (of the skate :P) fixed it

Reactions: JMCx4

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I had lace bite. There are small foam things that are available at craft stores for kids to hang on their doors - use this as a pad but cut a hole in the middle to relieve pressure on the tendon and evenly apply it to the surrounding area

Reactions: Meuracas

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
-Thinner socks if possible
-Tie the laces looser at the top near ankle/top of foot compared to bottom near toes. Skip a set of eyelets or two if necessary
-Shorter laces and don't wraparound the back if you do

Reactions: Outl4w

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad