OT: New Sidebar (the FAQ and Feedback thread)

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
For the people that have issues with this sidebar, I would suggest using the contact us link at the bottom of the page here.

Many of the complaints listed here are very legitimate and constructive critisim could be welcomed. But if you are going to go that route and wish to have your comments and ideas passed up the chain to the sites ownership who is responsibe for this new sidebar I would suggest taking some time and coming up with something well writen and thought out.
Comments like "the new sidebar sux get rid of it" probably won't get much attention.

jughead42*

Well, as a result of this change, I will now make a deliberate point to never visit the parent site until something is done to get rid of this nonsense.

No kidding. The Parent site struggles to stay on par with Bleacher Report, let alone any worthwhile hockey pages out there. They could make this entire board one giant side bar to drive traffic to the parent site and I still probably wouldn't click on anything, HF is all about the forums not their crappy articles that rehash things that are discussed on the boards anyways. So this McDavid kid is pretty good eh? Stellar reporting!

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Informative.

z5qqCOj.jpg

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
As others have said, the idea isn't bad but the execution is terrible. The site already looks pretty dated, but this sidebar seriously makes it look like I'm browsing back in the early 2000s.

-The Hockey's Future links feature far too much text; just the headline of each story would do. This would also allow more stories to be featured and possibly drive further traffic to their site.

-The Twitter feed is a decent idea, but is pretty useless at the moment, especially as the links in the retweets aren't even hyperlinked until you bring up the tweet itself.

-The latest thread section doesn't make much sense as I can clearly see the newest threads in the board I'm currently viewing and most users generally don't browse more than a couple boards very frequently. It would be far better if users could customize which boards were displayed, or if it even just showed hot threads from the entire site instead of new ones.

-The other problem with the latest threads section is it doesn't even show which subforum you're about to enter unless the thread title gives it away. Why would I click on "Who would rather have?" when it could be discussing anything from McDavid vs Eichel to Clarkson vs a pylon?

-More separation is needed between the text for the boards and the text within the sidebar...right now it looks very jammed and cluttered. More information can be good but not when it's forced down your throat.

Last edited:

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Giant wall of text with a Cyan background? All we needs now is some dancing baby gifs and a geocities logo.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Are they aware very few people give any ***** about the "parent site".

This likely cost them more readers, if anything

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
the reason why i come here is to read things about the Leafs

now i get some crap about other teams i could careless about
this isnt TSN

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
This is like the website special Olympics. 2 people need to be fired. The one who made it and the idiot who said, "good job".

Ace88*

I just don't get how in this day and age of html 5 and even xhtml how 1) a site that generates as many hits and as much ad money can't figure out how to make something look modern and current and 2) believed such an outdated design clearly made by an amateur (or if it was a pro they half assed it for a quick paycheck) would be passable amongst the drooling throngs of the internet

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Sigh, it is a complete eyesore and could of been done so much better. I don't mind the idea of it, but it really needs to look more aesthetically pleasing.

Ace88*

So...are they planning on updating it or is everyone just gonna get completely ignored?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad