OT: New Sidebar (FAQ & Feedback)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
You've probably seen it by now. That thing on the right side of the screen that lists HF articles and HF's Twitter and other thread links. Yes, it's new this morning. Here's our attempt to answer some questions about it:

Why?
This was initiated by Crave (the folks who own Hockey's Future and HFBoards) in an attempt to help drive more traffic to Hockey's Future. We (the mods) were just as surprised to see it this morning as all of you are.

Can I turn it off?
No, there is no way to disable, shrink, or otherwise alter the side bar. This is the way it will be - for now, at least.

Where/when does it show up?
As far as we can figure out, it only shows up (or primarily shows up) when you're on a specific board, but not when you are viewing a thread. It will not show up when you write a post. It will show up if you try to make a new thread though (it's showing up for me right now as I write this). It also doesn't show up on the main page (www.hfboards.com or hfboards.mandatory.com)

What does it show?
When fully active, it should show:
  • A list of the most recent articles created on Hockey's Future
  • The most recent tweets from HF's official Twitter account (mostly links to newly created articles which, yes, seems redundant)
  • A list of the most recently active discussion threads on HFBoards

Will there be updates?
Most likely, yes. Site ownership will take your feedback into consideration for future updates.

Where does the Latest Discussion thread list link to?
We're not positive exactly what does and doesn't get linked to. We know for sure that it should link to all the major Hockey discussion boards (NHL talk, Prospects, Business of Hockey, Fantasy Hockey, etc.). It also for 100% sure links to team board threads, including maybe potentially this one. It could potentially also link to the Page 2 stuff like the Lounge.

Because of the team board links, BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN VISITING LINKS FROM THE SIDEBAR. You might see a thread that looks inflammatory to the Wild and riles you up, but note where the thread is located when you go there. Because if it's on a team board and you respond harshly to the posts you find, you could end up receiving a warning/infraction for trolling even if you had no idea you were on another team board and not the main board.

If you have any other questions, post them here. Comments too. We would appreciate constructive comments beyond "This sucks, I hate it." Thanks!

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
They should probably not make it look like an advertisment that's going to give you a virus if you click on it.

Has to be a way to make it look like its more native to the website than that.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm a fan. Useful info in there. Looks ugly.

I found this thread using the sidebar. Very meta.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Even ABP doesn't help. You can get it down to where it's nothing but a tiny rectangular box, but that box is still enough to keep the rest of the page in its current dimensions, with a whole bunch of empty space to the right instead of the sidebar :cry:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yeah. Wasn't my cup of tea.

ldN7CdH.png

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Did you ******* it out?

Sidebar: Why is that censored??
Just censored my bookmarks. Not that I have anything to hide, but gotta have some degree of privacy. And no, I didn't use any browser add-on. The method I used is not convenient nor will I be bothered to do it every time, it is just intended to show for the owners of this site that a "hide" -button would be a good idea, at least for sponsors. We are supporting this site, and paying actual money for a better browsing experience. If we don't want to see ads or excess space on sides, then we might not want to see a sidebar. It is a good idea, just badly executed at this point. I mean, it's not like I (or anyone else who knows anything about webpage design/http) can't hide it anyway, so what's the downside?

Last edited by a moderator:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I was referring to the fact that the word ******* is censored here, when you remove that period (*******).

Didn't even notice you had blurred out your bookmarks :)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Did you ******* it out?

Sidebar: Why is that censored??

Programs that block ads are censored because HFBoards is an ad-driven site. HFBoards can't prevent you from using these programs, but please don't publicly discuss or share these programs on the forums. Thanks, guys.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Actual constructive criticism beyond the default "it sucks I hate it":

- Move some HF-related content above the top ad; otherwise, I just ignore the entire block as "some kind of ad."

- Apply a consistent style to the 3 content sections--why is there a completely different stylesheet and design language for each section?

- For god's sakes apply some padding to the Hockey's Future recent posts section. It's 2014.

- The Recent Threads section should exclude team subforums to discourage trolling.

- It's really weird that the largest text on any given page is now the Recent Thread titles in the sidebar. Design hierarchy, ************, do you speak it?

- Sponsors should have the option to turn it off, since it's an ad (even if it is an ad for internal content, it's still an ad).

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I agree with everything Llama just posted. I understand the intent, but implementation is poor.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm okay with it, but the visual impact is horrible. Although this whole forum could use a bit more modern look, this feels very 2005.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Can't design something much more visually unappealing than that. Especially when it takes up so much space and most already spend much of their time on a mobile device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad