News Article: New Sharks Beat Writer

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Kurz was just redundant and useless as the “beat” writer.

While he did do slightly above average articles on players’ personal lives, he’s no Katie Strange and there’s only so may article worthy back stories from players.

He did not once in the 8-9 years he covered the Sharks break a trade or news, his analytical skills were based off his personal assumptions instead of fact, and he never cared or was even adept at giving updates on prospects. And on top of that, he comes across as a douche when he engages with fans.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
i really, really can't wait for Kurz to come back to SAP like a year

when his entrance music plays the arena is gonna go nuts

Kurz: "WHOOOOOOOO'S your DADDAAAAAAAY, San Jose?"

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Tommy Wingels, Ben Smith or Jannik Hansen. Doug doesn’t trade a lot of NHL regulars away in season.

Its late so I could be glancing over some obvious context, but off the top of my head, couldn’t it also be:
Goodrow, Dillon, Demers, Desjardins, Sheppard, Kennedy, Marleau, Handzus, Murray, Clowe. Though not sure if Kurz was even around for the latter 3.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Its late so I could be glancing over some obvious context, but off the top of my head, couldn’t it also be:
Goodrow, Dillon, Demers, Desjardins, Sheppard, Kennedy, Marleau, Handzus, Murray, Clowe. Though not sure if Kurz was even around for the latter 3.

Heatley, Galliardi, McGinn....Torres was popular in the room but eviscerated by the pundits...

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Heatley, Galliardi, McGinn....Torres was popular in the room but eviscerated by the pundits...

Oh my list was off the top of my head so I’m sure I missed more than McGinn and Stalock. But Heatley, Galliardi, and Torres wouldn’t qualify. Heatley and Galliardi were traded in the off-season and Torres was traded when he wasn’t even playing with the team anymore. Kurz’s article discusses a mid season trade and implies that the said player was on the active roster.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Oh my list was off the top of my head so I’m sure I missed more than McGinn and Stalock. But Heatley, Galliardi, and Torres wouldn’t qualify. Heatley and Galliardi were traded in the off-season and Torres was traded when he wasn’t even playing with the team anymore. Kurz’s article discusses a mid season trade and implies that the said player was on the active roster.

If I had to guess, it would be James Sheppard.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I saw speculation that it was about Stalock

On Reddit there is a sleuth who figured out it was Stalock. This person examined timing and everything.

piepi314 comments on Any idea who Kurz is talking about here? (reddit.com)

Well it would have to have happened in the middle of the season a few years ago. Looking through the Sharks trade history here are the notable players traded mid season by the sharks 2-5 years ago:
  • Danny O'Regan
  • Nikolay Goldobin
  • Tommy Wingels
  • Alex Stalock
O'Regan seems unlikely since he didn't really play enough to warrant criticism. Goldobin is Russian so his father probably wasn't bickering with Kurz on twitter. Kurz wrote an article about Wingels' roster spot being in jeopardy months prior in the off season, but that's all I could find.
It is likely Stalock who Kurz said "Alex Stalock doesn't have it anymore, and there's no reason to think he could fill in for Jones for even a game or two in the playoffs." He said this on 20 Feb 2016. Stalock was traded 27 Feb 2016.

Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad