HF Habs: New Season about to start but....

Eastern Shores

Jun 20, 2018
I should be pumped for new season but instead looking forward to '23 mock drafts.. I think this years team will be much more competitive and entertaining but is ultimately destined for a last place finish in their division and bottom 5 in the league. With 2 first rounders already for the 23 Draft and expect more in season this year or at least by TDL watching prospects and mock drafts has me more enthralled. how about the rest of you? Or an i on my own little island.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Better days ahead..............we will be in the bottom 10 of the league.
Another top ten pick will be just fine thank you!!
Relax, enjoy where we are going not just where we currently are.
It's going to get fun again, the last 5-6 seasons have been awful, so buckle up!
It's all good!

Reactions: jj cale and the

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You're among friends here. You're talking about a board where a not insignificant number of posters were mad that Bergevin's team was doing well in the middle of a Stanley Cup run and kept shitting their pants about winning a couple of games when the team was well on their way to a last place finish last year. People here love gambling. They'll always take the ? pick over actually winning games, which they don't enjoy. Should you have a fetish for anti-competition, you've found a comfortable home.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I don't know how you can look at our D and goaltending and think that way.
Im of the same opinion TBH, I think we're more in the 6-10 range based purely on the forwards. Caufield will be better, if Monahan is recovered he'll elevate us, Dvorak is a good 3C and Evans at 4C nevermind having Dach as a backup. I don't know If with the forward depth will be as bad as last year.

You're among the vast majority here. You're talking about a board where a not insignificant number of posters were mad that Bergevin's team was doing well in the middle of a Stanley Cup run and kept shitting their pants about winning a couple of games when the team was well on their way to a last place finish last year. People here love gambling. They'll always take the ? pick over actually winning games, which they don't enjoy. This board fetishizes being anti-competitive.
Ill personally still cheer for them to win until it becomes obvious they are destined to fall

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I may be the minority but I don't think we finish bottom 5 unfortunately. 😔

Edmundson-Matheson
Harris/Guhle-Savard
Schueneman-Wideman/Barron

Allen
Montombeau

We probably have the worst d-squad of the league if not bottom 2 and probably the worst goalie duo in the league.

All in for Bedard , bottom 5 guaranteed.

Also I don't wish for injuries but imagine Suzuki goes down for 6 months. Thats beyond RIP.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Im of the same opinion TBH, I think we're more in the 6-10 range based purely on the forwards. Caufield will be better, if Monahan is recovered he'll elevate us, Dvorak is a good 3C and Evans at 4C nevermind having Dach as a backup. I don't know If with the forward depth will be as bad as last year.

Ill personally still cheer for them to win until it becomes obvious they are destined to fall
I don't think that we improved much if at all over last year's team, a team that finished last.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think that we improved much if at all over last year's team, a team that finished last.

The thinking from the other side is that Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak can't be worse than they were and we won't be as unhealthy. They also point to Suzuki and Caufields back half of the season.

But we also have to understand that, chiarot, Toffoli, lehkonen etc. Are all gone. So the team is also weaker than it was.

Our division is too good for us to really finish very high and we are still gonna be trading some bodies out this year too.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
While I don't see bubble playoffs or anything I dont see dead last, part of the reason we we're garbage last year is health. There was a 20 game stretch or so where we we're icing laval I can't imagine that happens again this year

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The thinking from the other side is that Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak can't be worse than they were and we won't be as unhealthy. They also point to Suzuki and Caufields back half of the season.

But we also have to understand that, chiarot, Toffoli, lehkonen etc. Are all gone. So the team is also weaker than it was.

Our division is too good for us to really finish very high and we are still gonna be trading some bodies out this year too.
The Atlantic division is like mlb's American League east right now, so tough. Also, it's hard to look at our forward group and see which three guys will make up a decent checking line, Dvorak is underwhelming and Evans is more of a 4th line guy from what I have seen. I don't know much of Dach, your thoughts...

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Atlantic division is like mlb's American League east right now, so tough. Also, it's hard to look at our forward group and see which three guys will make up a decent checking line, Dvorak is underwhelming and Evans is more of a 4th line guy from what I have seen. I don't know much of Dach, your thoughts...

Dach will be in an offensive role and they will develop him as much.

Really they'll be stuck using Dvorak Evans on a line with someone like Armia or Gallagher.

Offensively it will be fun but I don't think we have enough horses to outscore the defense and goaltending.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Some people on here will whine about others wanting the team to rebuild, but will cheer and gloat when the Habs end up having success a few years down the line because they did finally end up rebuilding.

Rebuilding through top picks and maximizing player value is the leading strategy for long term success. Wanting the team to lose in the short term is a legitimate sentiment and you shouldn't feel bad for supporting that way of thinking.

Don't feel guilty for wanting better.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
While I don't see bubble playoffs or anything I dont see dead last, part of the reason we we're garbage last year is health. There was a 20 game stretch or so where we we're icing laval I can't imagine that happens again this year
As @WeThreeKings mentioned, no Chiarot, Lehkonen or Toffoli this year. We also have plenty of forwards that do not move the needle, Drouin, Hoffman, Armia, Gallagher etc. A top 5 pick is almost a given.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I should be pumped for new season but instead looking forward to '23 mock drafts.. I think this years team will be much more competitive and entertaining but is ultimately destined for a last place finish in their division and bottom 5 in the league. With 2 first rounders already for the 23 Draft and expect more in season this year or at least by TDL watching prospects and mock drafts has me more enthralled. how about the rest of you? Or an i on my own little island.
Yeah, the Habs should be pretty bad. TDL and draft lottery and watching other teams in the playoffs. Good season to watch other sports...

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I think the Habs will finish this season last or 2nd last in the Eastern Conference. A lot of the bottom teams improved (Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo, NJ) and the top teams won’t drop off enough where the Habs have any chance to catch them.

A lot of posters will point to injuries last season (which played a factor), as well as Ducharme. But the Habs lost Petry, Chiarot, Romanov, Kulak, Toffoli, and Lehkonen from last season (as well as having Price out). They are replaced with a lot of players with question marks such as Monahan, Dach, and rookies (as well as Matheson and Dadonov). I think those losses could have just as big of an impact as the Habs health issues last season. I expect the defence to really struggle this season.

What I’m looking for this season is progression in Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Slafkovsky, Guhle, Barron, Harris, and Primeau’s game. Those players should make up the future core and the more they are able to grow their game the better the Habs will be in the future. If the Habs do better than expected because of those players that’s a great story this season and for the outlook of this franchise.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
There's no shame in trying to win and not winning. If the Habs waive their vets and send them down and play ECHLers instead, then it'll be shameful. That won't happen.

If the Habs win games, that's great. If they lose games, it is expected. We have an easy season ahead and Suzuki, Caufield, and Harris (+ others) to look forward to watching every game.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I don't know how you can look at our D and goaltending and think that way.
Jake is solid. Edmundson back to help stabilize things. Good vibes around team. Everyone Love Marty. A few UFAs who want to earn a new contract. Wingers galore...if Monahan and Gally both bounce-back just a little and any of the young guys step up...we will win some games.

Hope I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad