News Article: New Salary Cap Projections.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The NHL is preparing for a significant salary cap increase over the next three seasons, sources told Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman and Rory Boylen.

Teams reportedly received projections of the approximate salary cap through 2025-26. These values aren't guarantees but reflect the league's estimations. The 2022-23 salary cap is $82.5 million, an increase of $1 million from last season.

YEARPOSSIBLE SALARY CAP
2023-24$83.5 million
2024-25$87.5 million-$88 million
2025-26Approximately $92 million

Reactions: Menzinger

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Fantastic news. Cap projected to rise a bunch the year Matthews is UFA so he can ask for 15 million with the idea the cap is going up. The next random act of god happens after he signs the deal the cap doesn't go up. Marner points to Matthews as a comparable again for some outlandish reasons again and rinse and repeat.

Or perhaps I could take the optimistic viewpoint.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
It's good timing for the Leafs with their cores getting extendions. Salaries will readjust but should give the team some extra wriggle room for some nicer depth pieces
I don't know. Doesn't this mean other teams will be able to increase their UFA budgets just as our big guys are looking to get paid...again?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't know. Doesn't this mean other teams will be able to increase their UFA budgets just as our big guys are looking to get paid...again?
we still have that option for the 8th year, so ultimately we will always be able to offer more money then any other team

Reactions: kb

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Fantastic news. Cap projected to rise a bunch the year Matthews is UFA so he can ask for 15 million with the idea the cap is going up. The next random act of god happens after he signs the deal the cap doesn't go up. Marner points to Matthews as a comparable again for some outlandish reasons again and rinse and repeat.

Or perhaps I could take the optimistic viewpoint.
Whatever they pay for Matthews will be worth it.

Nylander and Marner might have to walk. Nylander is not overpaid, but his contract comes up one year too early to get the raise he will want. Marner is overpaid and might need to sign elsewhere to get what he wants.

Tavares, Brodie and Muzzin will fall off the books. None of them should be resigned at or near their current contracts. If the cap goes up to $92-million in 2025-26, even with salary inflation the Leafs will be in better shape.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A rising cap can only be a good thing for the league and its teams.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tavares, Brodie and Muzzin will fall off the books. None of them should be resigned at or near their current contracts.

Will be cool to have them as the grizzled vets at the bottom of the lineup on cheaper deals, while the kids move into more primetime and expensive roles.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great our stars for better or worse basically timed the markets regarding go hard after management and going to be holding them and the team hostage with crazy demands. If Nylander wants 10-12 million per I say let him walk, trade him this summer and see if you can get Pasta for 9-9.5 next fall.

He deserves 100K per point which means he should be expecting around 8-8.5 million per based on current cap. Obviously it will rise and that needs to be included but we need to start using the leverage of upfront signing bonus Vs straight salary each and ever year. Present Value of each dollar is far more valuable than Future Value of those same dollars. This inflationary period is probably the best example we can show how Matthew Marner Nylander and JT front loaded contracts have aided the Athletes with their last contacts.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
A rising cap can only be a good thing for the league and its teams.

What about the ticket buying fans? I would like to see team caps tied to inflation and lowered individual caps for players, especially the best ones and their greedy agents. We will still have the "haves" and the "have nots" if things don't change and trouble filling out the rest of the roster, below the "haves". Teams will be no stronger. You are just buying the top players a better lifestyle.

Reactions: Buds17

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
What about the ticket buying fans? I would like to see team caps tied to inflation and lowered individual caps for players, especially the best ones and their greedy agents. We will still have the "haves" and the "have nots" if things don't change and trouble filling out the rest of the roster, below the "haves". Teams will be no stronger. You are just buying the top players a better lifestyle.
You can only tie player salaries to something if you also tie every other income generating source to it (tickets, streaming packages, etc).

Otherwise you are just letting the owners take a bigger bite.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad