New rink at Eisenhower Park (?)

25yearfan

Aug 5, 2006
Initially noticed this from Billy Jaffe @BJaffe -- a bunch of twitter posts popping up in the last day or so, congratulating Ferraro Brothers for upcoming groundbreaking on new rink - next Tuesday at Eisenhower Park. Oddly, I can't find any details anywhere beyond this.

I sent a tweet to Ed Mangano (since it's on Nassau property) and Newsday reporter Randi Marshall (since this seems to be her beat) - seems like this should at least have gotten a mention somewhere. Not even a notice on Nassau site where every coupon deal or car show is promoted....

Did I just miss it?

Glad to see more hockey facilities coming on line, anyway....

Billy Jaffe‏@BJaffe

“@CoastalAdvisors: IT'S OFFICIAL GROUNDBREAKING for new hockey arena on Long Island is next Tuesday 11am Eisenhower Park! Yes and adults

...Michael Strahan‏@michaelstrahan
Congratulations to Big Daddy and @coastaladvisors @ferrarohockey on their new hockey arena on Long Island. Well done fellas!

{MOD EDIT: Links added}

https://twitter.com/BJaffe/status/289033501599223811

https://twitter.com/BJaffe/status/289033975291334656

https://twitter.com/BJaffe/status/289039707621429248

Last edited by a moderator:

bwf

Jan 4, 2009
Some Specifics

Yes, indeed, there will be TWO new rinks at Eisenhower Park. Groundbreaking is as announced. One rink will be an olympic size (200x100) and one NHL size (200x80). The Olympic rink is, in part, to attract USA hockey (and other things I presume) to the area since the closest Olympic size rink, I believe, is 3 hours away in Cromwell Ct. There might be a small outdoor rink outside the front doors as well (150x80). The rink will be over by the Aquatic Center, closer to Merrick Ave. The rink will have a 2nd level with workout facilities, meeting rooms etcetc. The County is leasing the land to the rink owner for many years (not sure but I think 40 years). All the County gets is money for the lease, tax revenue, and 1.5 hours of ice, a day, they can use for whatever they want (open skate, whatever). The rink will be priveatly run. The Gulls/IceCats/Bobcats organization will be the main tenant. It is anticipated that the rink will open in September. Not far-fethced being that its being built by a private business and the winter appears to be mild, again. I am not sure if the Ferraro brothers have any $$ in this, but they will be prominate there, running clinics and such. Of course, the rink should have all the normal, new stuff, like a proshop and concessions. It should be good for a number of reasons, one major one being that this is being done by hockey people - the County is smart to get money here and get out of the way. Should do that more often.

25yearfan

Aug 5, 2006
the County is smart to get money here and get out of the way. Should do that more often.

Government getting out of its own way? Novel concept.

Thanks for the details - what's your source?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Yes, indeed, there will be TWO new rinks at Eisenhower Park. Groundbreaking is as announced. One rink will be an olympic size (200x100) and one NHL size (200x80). The Olympic rink is, in part, to attract USA hockey (and other things I presume) to the area since the closest Olympic size rink, I believe, is 3 hours away in Cromwell Ct. There might be a small outdoor rink outside the front doors as well (150x80). The rink will be over by the Aquatic Center, closer to Merrick Ave. The rink will have a 2nd level with workout facilities, meeting rooms etcetc. The County is leasing the land to the rink owner for many years (not sure but I think 40 years). All the County gets is money for the lease, tax revenue, and 1.5 hours of ice, a day, they can use for whatever they want (open skate, whatever). The rink will be priveatly run. The Gulls/IceCats/Bobcats organization will be the main tenant. It is anticipated that the rink will open in September. Not far-fethced being that its being built by a private business and the winter appears to be mild, again. I am not sure if the Ferraro brothers have any $$ in this, but they will be prominate there, running clinics and such. Of course, the rink should have all the normal, new stuff, like a proshop and concessions. It should be good for a number of reasons, one major one being that this is being done by hockey people - the County is smart to get money here and get out of the way. Should do that more often.

Need a link to this info.

Law

Jun 19, 2007
Miami, FL
Used to pass by the Aquatic Center and always lament that a rink wasn't built there instead. Oh well, better late than never.

:handclap:

BH4991

Jul 4, 2006
I work at Eisenhower Park in the parks department office building, and this has the place buzzing. A lot of hype surrounding the news. The whole project is being privately funded which is fantastic for the county. All the information that bwf mentioned earlier in the thread is accurate.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I work at Eisenhower Park in the parks department office building, and this has the place buzzing. A lot of hype surrounding the news. The whole project is being privately funded which is fantastic for the county. All the information that bwf mentioned earlier in the thread is accurate.

I may have met you a couple years ago. I was part of the Consulting group that was doing the redesign of the baseball fields.

BH4991

Jul 4, 2006
I may have met you a couple years ago. I was part of the Consulting group that was doing the redesign of the baseball fields.

I got this job when I graduated from high school last June, so I wasn't around when they were doing the baseball field stuff. You definitely met my co-workers though.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
I got this job when I graduated from high school last June, so I wasn't around when they were doing the baseball field stuff. You definitely met my co-workers though.

After I finished Drafting the project I switched jobs. The Group I worked for experienced a slow down and I got my hours cut, so I looked and found a job.

I heard that the South Baseball field project was put on a permanent hold though. It was going to to cost something like 1.5M

bwf

Jan 4, 2009
Pattyb91, thanks for the backup - 10 min misconduct, I have no physical evidence of the rink. But, I coach in the Gulls/IceCats/Bobcats organization and have been to two meetings about this rink. The first was for coaches only with the person whos company is designing and building the rink. The other meeting was a public forum meeting for our organization to tell our parents about the rink. That meeting featured the Ferraro brothers. Again, though from the facebook page makes things a bit clearer, I am not sure how much $$$ the Ferraro's have in this, but its looks substantial by that page. The rink will, most likely, house our junior team, the Bobcats (team lockerroom and all). The Gulls will also be prominate their as well. The IceCats (tier II) a bit less so. The organization will still have ice at IceWorks, Iceland, and Newbridge. I have also seen the architect plans as well. The lockerrooms will be down the middle of the building. The stands will on the lockerroom side, so the players come out from underneath the stands like the nhl players do. The far side will be benches only. I believe there will be areas from the 2nd floor that can see the game from a closed in area as well. Nothing unique, but ideas taken from all the newer rinks. The only question was if there was going to be a smaller (150x80) outdoor rink outside the front atrium or not. Regardless - its great news for our program and, in general, for Nassau County. The irony was our program was close to merging/moving with the Aviator program in Brooklyn and this comes to us. We stay, and the team a mile away is going to Brooklyn - go figure?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad