Less than $1,205,377: Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328: Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659: Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986: First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316: First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645: Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater: Four first-round picks

Oh, boy if this is true.

Did we lose Hamilton now and why didn't Chia sign him during the season?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Provided the team he plays for doesn't match. The comps are a little low for my taste, but I doubt you see any significant movement because of this.

Can of worms just waiting to be opened.
Teams will likely target players on teams hard up against the cap and not in a position to match without making major roster adjustments.....a team like, oh, the Bruins.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Teams will likely target players on teams hard up against the cap and not in a position to match without making major roster adjustments.....a team like, oh, the Bruins.

Only 8 players in the last decade have signed offer sheets, and of those only one has changed teams (Dustin Penner).

Not worried.

What goes around, comes around. You take advantage of a team, at some point, you will be in that same position.

member 96824

Keep in mind with these...the cap hit doesn't equal the offer sheet comp limits

While at first glance, these are definitely low, remember it's Comp/the lesser of term or 5 years.

So for example if a team submitted a 7 year deal at $6 per for Dougie Hamilton, in offer sheet terms this would be looked at as $8.4M(42M/5) and bump it up a compensation bracket.

Typically teams aren't offering short term offer sheet deals, but something rich and long term to entice the player and agent to actually want it and the GM to weigh the pros and cons of compensation vs. the player.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
So they can just say "OK, compensation is completely changed" and make it effective immediately with no warning?

Hmm. Please sign Hamilton now, whoever is in charge.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
So they can just say "OK, compensation is completely changed" and make it effective immediately with no warning?

They change it every year. It's based on the Cap number for the following year.

As for Dougie, not worried at all. He'll be signed by July 1st.

member 96824

Article 10.4

The dollar amounts set forth in the scale outlined above shall be increased on an annual basis at
the same percentage rate of annual increase as the Average League Salary, with the first such
increase occurring based upon a comparison of the 2014/15 Average League Salary to the
2013/14 Average League Salary. By way of example, if the Average League Salary for the
2014/15 League Year has increased by ten (10) percent from the Average League Salary for the
2013/14 League Year, then each of the dollar amounts stated in the table above shall be
increased by ten (10) percent, and the basis for determining the number and quality of draft
choices due to the Prior Club for the loss of a Restricted Free Agent signed after such date shall
be adjusted accordingly.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Im surprised Dougie hasn't been signed yet. I thought he'd be locked up by now. Maybe they want to try get him to bridge to help them out cap wise.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
RIP dougie...

I doubt it. Offer sheets are so rare in the NHL for many reasons. He's either getting a two-year bridge deal or a 5-6 year deal worth more money, and I'd bet on a bridge deal as it'll bring him more money in the long haul. I bet they're pretty close, if they haven't already agreed in principle on something yet.. He's one of the most important players in the organization, I highly doubt they're leaving that all until free agency.

I'd prefer for us to sign him as soon as possible just because we can't afford to lose him, especially with this compensation, but it won't be an issue. He wants to be here and he has a very big role on this team, and it's only going to get bigger as time goes on. We need him to be a top pairing defenseman as soon as next season. Plus, even if he does get offer sheeted, he has to sign it. Why cripple your team if you're inevitably going to re-sign with them? I know Weber did it, but you have to think that turns some heads in the room. He's good friends with a lot of the guys on the team and he'd be co-signing their trade sheets if he did sign an offer sheet.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Keep in mind with these...the cap hit doesn't equal the offer sheet comp limits

While at first glance, these are definitely low, remember it's Comp/the lesser of term or 5 years.

So for example if a team submitted a 7 year deal at $6 per for Dougie Hamilton, in offer sheet terms this would be looked at as $8.4M(42M/5) and bump it up a compensation bracket.

Typically teams aren't offering short term offer sheet deals, but something rich and long term to entice the player and agent to actually want it and the GM to weigh the pros and cons of compensation vs. the player.

And if someone offered Hamilton that 7 year 6 million dollar a year deal, Boston would just happily match, and move someone else

If someone has a ton of cap money and wants to steal Dougie, you'd want to offer him something like 5 years 40 million, that would make it tough for Boston to match

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
If I was chiarelli, I'd offer Dougie a 3yr deal at 7.2m per year. That's a nightmare contract for the Bruins because they pay top dollar and don't even lock in his best years. Chiarelli wins no matter what the B's do.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
teams that overpay end up in cap trouble... if someone else wants to overpay Hamilton than let them.

id match up to 5.478 mill but after that I can spend the money on an ufa and just take the draft picks and come out further ahead.

once I made that choice id instantly target a good young player on the opposing team at around 3.5 mill. they can forget about any peace with their second contract kids for awhile until I get my pound of flesh.

the important thing is not to screw ourselves over with overpaying guys in panic mode cause ultimately this always comes around goes around

ultimately some of these players need to take some hometown discounts or they will end up playing on teams with no chance to win. weve seen several examples in other sports where guys restructure contracts to allow their team to add players to win. those are the types of guys I want on my team... winners

players that will try to get every single penny they can even if It screws over their teams chances to win aren't needed on any team im cheering for. that's kind of what is turning my opinion against krejci. to be honest im not sure why he needed north of 7 mill when better players than him are agreeing to 6 mill deals all over the league. if we overpay even 4-5 players by a mill each its going to always come back to screw us on the cap.

Hamilton shouldn't get more than 5 mill on his next deal... hasn't proved it. he probably should take a subban type bridge contact because hes pretty much in the exact same boat that subban was.... the offensive talent has been shining through. we see the potential in this kid... but he hasn't become solid in his own zone yet, hasn't shown he can be a top pairing dman yet.

I have no problem giving Hamilton 7-8 mill a year in a couple seasons if he develops like I hope he will but today id let him walk or 5.5 if that's the number

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Curious has Hamilton and his agent done anything that actually has you worried?

In Chicago Saad put off contract talks until offseason earlier in year ,,, We all know what happened last time Hawks had highly regarded RFA + Salary Cap problems

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If I was chiarelli, I'd offer Dougie a 3yr deal at 7.2m per year. That's a nightmare contract for the Bruins because they pay top dollar and don't even lock in his best years. Chiarelli wins no matter what the B's do.

And then loses when his young guys come up for contracts.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
A lot of people are assuming Hamilton is just going to sign any offer sheet that comes his way.

It's equally naive to think he wouldn't.

It's all about $$$. Offer sheets are more about the GM's making the offer than the players accepting them.

Either way, more comfortable with our highly prized RFA locked up.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Exactly. And I sincerely hope a team like Edmonton throws us 2+ 1st rounders for him. Two Hamiltons is better than one.
As an Edmonton fan, I'd also throw two firsts at you guys for Dougie if need be.

50/50 with the regime change that the firsts will be playoff firsts versus we're Edmonton and those are lotto picks.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So basically RIP Lucic or Krejci

Lucic for top prospect in that case, but why didn't Chia sign him and why haven't we signed him already????

He should be in the 4.5-5M range for 6 years, more than Brodin got but less than OEL. If we end up paying him more our playoff chances are getting weaker and weaker.

Curious has Hamilton and his agent done anything that actually has you worried?

In Chicago Saad put off contract talks until offseason earlier in year ,,, We all know what happened last time Hawks had highly regarded RFA + Salary Cap problems

I don't think any of us know what they are wanting/expecting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad