Confirmed with Link: New Realignment Plan

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Why? We no longer have to play the teams that absolutely own us (Vancouver, LA, Phoenix and San Jose), 6 or 4 times a year.

I dislike this plan for reasons that go well beyond how the Avs fare.

As for match-ups in the "Pacific" or the "Central", it's all relative and subject to change within a season or two.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
this was probably the best situation for Colorado to be in for the long term. First off, they get a seven-team division so the chances of making the playoffs are 57% instead of 50%. The travel situation was never going to be good since Colorado is really on an island compared other franchises, but no more long trips to West Canada is a big plus and no 10PM division games is awesome. When it comes to the teams in the division:

-Chicago will likely win the division or be 2nd place for the next decade, which is a pain but every division has at least one heavyweight team.
-St. Louis is a good team overall, might not have the offensive horses to go deep but will likely challenge for the division lead consistently.
-Minnesota is really just an average team and has contracts that really handcuff their ability to build a better team.
-Dallas doesn't have much going forward besides Benn and have really overpaid a lot of their players. They're going to be the Flames in a few seasons.
-Nashville will likely be a playoff threat due to good management, but ultimately doesn't have the cash to build a contender.
-Winnipeg looks like a house of cards for the near future. Their only production comes from players that get relatively soft minutes, the rest of the team gets run over.

I think each season the top two seeds go to Chicago and St. Louis while the Avs compete against Minnesota and Nashville for the last two. Overall this was way better than the last proposed realignment, where Colorado was one of 8 teams along with the Pacific and Mountain West franchises. Really glad this is what will go forward.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Hahah my thoughts exactly. Less games at 10 PM. But what a stupid concept tbh...wildcard lol.

And we have to play a bunch of boring teams more often now.

Yeah , like i said b4 , this realignment is Timezone friendly for the Avs fans living on the east coast. Like you said no more starts at 10 or 10:30 pm . When a game start at 10:30 and they go in OT AND SO the game usually ends at 1:30 am . When you have to get up at 6 the next day , it's not really the best situation .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah , like i said b4 , this realignment is Timezone friendly for the Avs fans living on the east coast. Like you said no more starts at 10 or 10:30 pm . When a game start at 10:30 and they go in OT AND SO the game usually ends at 1:30 am . When you have to get up at 6 the next day , it's not really the best situation .

As a Newfoundlander, this is fantastic.

There were games that didn't start until Midnight my time in the current system. The Avs game against SJ earlier this year was a mid night start. That's a game that doesn't finish until 2:45 - 3:00am at the earliest. Add in OT and a SO and its 330AM before that game is done. And like you said when one has to wake up at 7:30 the next morning, those games simply cant be watched to completion for me haha.

Also like our playoff chances down the road. As soon as next year we should be better then DAL, NSH, and WPG. That alone puts us in 4th at least. We should be better then Minny too.

I like our chances for playoffs a lot more now in this division, seems really weak.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
As a Newfoundlander, this is fantastic.

There were games that didn't start until Midnight my time in the current system. The Avs game against SJ earlier this year was a mid night start. That's a game that doesn't finish until 2:45 - 3:00am at the earliest. Add in OT and a SO and its 330AM before that game is done. And like you said when one has to wake up at 7:30 the next morning, those games simply cant be watched to completion for me haha.

Also like our playoff chances down the road. As soon as next year we should be better then DAL, NSH, and WPG. That alone puts us in 4th at least. We should be better then Minny too.

I like our chances for playoffs a lot more now in this division, seems really weak.

it's frustrating not being able to watch a game with you guys , when you know that all of you are here having fun talking about a sports we love . When you have to go to bed because you work the next day .

member 116861

The earlier start times are going to interfere with my basketball watching.

:(

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's not going to be a complete change. You still have around 45 games played in mountain time and around 5 games in pacific time. The rest is Eastern/Central.

foppagirl21

Jan 16, 2011
Denver, CO
You need to look at our prospects if you think that.

Always had a dislike of the Avs, so am very happy to be in a division with y'all. Looking forward to next year. :)

Looking forward to being in the same division as your Stars, as well! Some of my family are die-hard Dallas fans and I would love to rub some more wins in their faces ;)

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Anyone got our record vs those teams in last two seasons? Has to be better than current division lol I guess this is good for Avalanche.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
it's frustrating not being able to watch a game with you guys , when you know that all of you are here having fun talking about a sports we love . When you have to go to bed because you work the next day .

Yup, and its even worse when I decide to say screw it and stay up until 1:30 in the morning to watch the game, then have to wake up at 8:00 the next morning for an 8:30 class.

Not fun.

The only thing about being an Avs fan that I don't enjoy, would be so much easier to be a fan of an East Coast team and have every game done by 11:30 every night.

But, I will never change from the Avs, a few late nights can be managed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So we pretty much don't play the Red Wings anymore?

I'd rather not have this alignment if that's the case.

Yea I'm kinda sad to see the Wings leave the conference. It ain't anything like it was, but there's still a level of excitement playing them that doesn't come in other games, and they tend to play them pretty intensely.

Even the teams the Avs started to develop a mini rivalry with like LA and Edmonton will be moving out of the division.

I guess we'll have to hope something heats back up with teams like Dallas and Minny. We need Downie or Cody to do something stupid and piss off the other teams to get things going.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Red Wings rivalry pretty much died off and is basically a once sided rivalry now.

Theres no one else right now because we aren't competitive. Once we become playoff contenders we'll get rivalries. IMO we'll have a good one with the Hawks in a few years.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yea I'm kinda sad to see the Wings leave the conference. It ain't anything like it was, but there's still a level of excitement playing them that doesn't come in other games, and they tend to play them pretty intensely.

Even the teams the Avs started to develop a mini rivalry with like LA and Edmonton will be moving out of the division.

I guess we'll have to hope something heats back up with teams like Dallas and Minny. We need Downie or Cody to do something stupid and piss off the other teams to get things going.

I actually think the Avs might start a rivalry with Chicago, for some reason Chicago brings out the best in us, if our young players start to live up to their potential things could interesting.

I also could see a rivalry with St Louis, mainly due to the whole EJ thing.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Sorry guys, I'm on my phone and don't have time to read every page, so I don't know if it's been addressed, but I have a question about the playoff format.

Since it goes to the top 3 in each division, with the remaining 2 spots open to anyone, what happens if those 2 spots go to teams in the same division. From my understanding, the playoffs start within each division until there is only 1 team left in each division. Then the different divisions face each other.

If that is the case, what happens if there are only 3 playoff teams in 1 division and 5 in the other?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
rivalries come from playoff tilts. There's a reason nobody has a rivalry with the Blue Jackets or Panthers or Jets or Islanders. So long as Colorado keeps crapping out bricks on the ice, they'll continue to have rivalries that resemble a 7th grade dance

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
why? That rivalry died a decade ago

The Red Wings rivalry pretty much died off and is basically a once sided rivalry now.

Theres no one else right now because we aren't competitive. Once we become playoff contenders we'll get rivalries. IMO we'll have a good one with the Hawks in a few years.

People say this, but there's still intensity in those games. Especially with guys like Landy, Dutchy, and Varly growing up Av fans, and McLeod who threw their octopus out of the rink a few years ago. Everyone gets up for those games, the Wings have just had by far the better team for a while now so the games aren't close.

As soon as the Avs started to get competitive, those would have be some of the better games of the season. Not like the old days, but still better than others if they weren't to move out of the conference. Especially if they were to meet in the playoffs again, with the Avs gritty team makeup.

ghostofweezman

Mar 3, 2013
PNW
The Wings have been asking to play in the eastern conf for a while now.
Travel wise , it make sense for them to play in the east .

Detroit is also in the Eastern Time zone. The move makes a lot of sense for them. Personally, I don't like not seeing them play against the AVs but at this point I think it's safe to say the rivalry has been long dead.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
The rivalry may be dead, but I like watching the Red Wings, they don't clog things up. And you can tell the Avs give it a little extra during those games. They're just good games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad