Confirmed with Link: New Realignment Plan

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Agreed. I'm totally OK with the new alignment, if for no other reason that the Avs get earlier road games.

And while teams' excellence comes and goes over time, Chicago and StL look like they're both going to be quite competitive over the next several years, so we'll likely see some really good hockey.

There's that, some of those 10:30pm start games are killer for me in the east.

But more importantly, WAY LESS JOHN GARRETT!!! :hyper::pickle:

IcedMaidenDeth

Feb 7, 2010
New Jersey
As an east coast Avs fan this makes me very happy. Imbalanced conferences don't matter to me because if you can't finish in the top half out of however many teams (16, 15, or 14), you don't deserve to make the playoffs anyway.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Scheduling matrix looks like this for the Avs

- 5 games (2 home, 3 away yearly rotate) vs 5 of other six teams in the division. 4 games (2 home, 2 away) against the other divisional team (25 + 4 = 29 Games)

Hawks (3 H, 2A)
Wild (3 H, 2 A)
Blue (3 H, 2 A)
Preds (2 H, 3 A)
Jets (2 H, 3 A)
Stars (2 H, 2 A)

- 3 games (2 home, 1 away yearly rotate) vs all 7 teams in other "western" conference (3 X 7 = 21 Games)

Nucks (2 H, 1 A)
Flames (2 H, 1 A)
Oilers (2 H, 1 A)
Yotes (1 H, 2 A)
Ducks (1 H, 2 A)
Sharks (1 H, 2 A)
Kings (1 H, 2 A)

- 2 games (1 home, 1 away) vs all "Eastern" conference teams (32 Games)

That's your 82 game break-down

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Based on the actual standing, the new divisions would look like this:

Pacific Division

Anaheim 37
Vancouver 28
Los Angeles 26
Phoenix 25
Calgary 22
Edmonton 21

Mid-West Division

Chicago 45
Dallas 26
St. Louis 26
Winnipeg 25
Nashville 25
Minnesota 24
Colorado 22

Central Division

Montreal 34
Boston 33
Toronto 30
Ottawa 30
Detroit 28
Tampa Bay 21
Buffalo 21
Florida 20

Atlantic Division

Pittsburgh 32
Caroline 27
New Jersey 27
Rangers 26
Islanders 23
Philadelphie 23
Washington 21
Columbus 20

The teams in bold would make the playoffs.

The first round would go like this:
Eastern Conference
Phoenix vs Chicago
Winnipeg vs Anaheim
Los Angeles vs Vancouver
St-Lous vs Dallas
Western Conference
Detroit vs Montreal
Ottawa vs Pittsburgh
Toronto vs Boston
New Jersey vs Caroline

I believe your 1st round match-ups are incorrect. The divisions play each other for the first two series. If 5 teams from one division make it, then one of the bottom two teams gets thrown into the other division. Although, I’m not quite sure about the wild card in this case, seems a bit unfair to PIT, the division winner, having to play a team with more points than the other 2 division competitors.

Pacific Divsion
Anaheim V Phoenix/Winnipeg (depends on tie breaker, worst team plays Anaheim)
Vancouver V L.A.

Mid West Division
Chicago V Winnipeg/Phoenix
Dallas V St. Louis

Central Division
Montreal (most points) V Detroit (wildcard with worst points)
Boston V Toronto

Atlantic Division
Pittsburg V Ottawa (tricky here, since Ottawa has more points than CAR and NJ)
Carolina V New Jersey

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Scheduling matrix looks like this for the Avs

- 5 games (2 home, 3 away yearly rotate) vs 5 of other six teams in the division. 4 games (2 home, 2 away) against the other divisional team (25 + 4 = 29 Games)

Hawks (3 H, 2A)
Wild (3 H, 2 A)
Blue (3 H, 2 A)
Preds (2 H, 3 A)
Jets (2 H, 3 A)
Stars (2 H, 2 A)

- 3 games (2 home, 1 away yearly rotate) vs all 7 teams in other "western" conference (3 X 7 = 21 Games)

Nucks (2 H, 1 A)
Flames (2 H, 1 A)
Oilers (2 H, 1 A)
Yotes (1 H, 2 A)
Ducks (1 H, 2 A)
Sharks (1 H, 2 A)
Kings (1 H, 2 A)

- 2 games (1 home, 1 away) vs all "Eastern" conference teams (32 Games)

That's your 82 game break-down

Is this a factual breakdown of who we play, where, and how many times next year, or is this an example of how it will break down?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Is this a factual breakdown of who we play, where, and how many times next year, or is this an example of how it will break down?

I don't think any actual information for next year has been given, as far as the breakdown so I think this is just an example.

stalk ya later :naughty:

zoomzoom

Jul 1, 2006
The time difference for starting games will be how many hours compared to this season?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
The time difference for starting games will be how many hours compared to this season?

it will stay the same , it's just that we'll play the Nucks less ( 10/10:30pm eastern starts ) and we'll play more often teams like St-Louis and Chicago ( 8pm eastern starts ) that's the difference .

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
As an east coast Avs fan, I love it.. I think this means 4 games total that will start Pacific time.. 10PM for us.

Outside of that, I think it's a much better fit.. we have a much bigger rival opportunity with St Louis, Dallas, and Chicago than we do the Alberta team or the Californian teams.

Vancouver I think we'd agree probably became the biggest rivals after the Bertuzzi incident, but that died down.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
As an east coast Avs fan, I love it.. I think this means 4 games total that will start Pacific time.. 10PM for us.

Outside of that, I think it's a much better fit.. we have a much bigger rival opportunity with St Louis, Dallas, and Chicago than we do the Alberta team or the Californian teams.

Vancouver I think we'd agree probably became the biggest rivals after the Bertuzzi incident, but that died down.

the only down side from this realignment is for those without CI , that will mean less possiblities of a games against EDM, Cal or Van on CBC saturday nights late game.

member 116861

the only down side from this realignment is for those without CI , that will mean less possiblities of a games against EDM, Cal or Van on CBC saturday nights late game.

Watching the Avs on Hockey Night in Canada is one of my favourite things in the world.

:(

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Making the top 3 will be hard for years to come.
Chicago, St.Louis and Minnesota will be there for years to come.
Winnipeg is very young as well.Dallas has Benn, Eriksson and a few other young pieces. Nashville has Weber and Rinne.

I do not see us making the playoffs next year unfortunately. :(

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
So...with the very real possibility that Phoenix could be finally moving to QC this summer. Anyone else worried that we could get shoved into the Pacific and Pho/QC gets moved to the central?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
So...with the very real possibility that Phoenix could be finally moving to QC this summer. Anyone else worried that we could get shoved into the Pacific and Pho/QC gets moved to the central?

Real Possibility ?

I can tell you that we are not Planning any victory Parade yet. I became so Bipolar with this whole Yotes/QC Saga , it's crazy . Right now i'm at the stage where i'll believe it when i'll see it .

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
pretty sure QC doesn't have a arena for them to play in.

They could Play in the old Colisée for one or two years untill the new arena is ready for Sept 2015. Québec made all the upgrade to the old building to be at the NHL level . It's already done and they are ready to any enventuality.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, I maybe jumped the gun a bit. But it still remains a possibility for the 14-15 season unless the Yotes stay put.

And hell no to the Pacific. The 8pm MST puck drops for most of the year alone would suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad