New playoff seeding format

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Okay so let me get this straight, under the new format for playoff seeding, the top 3 teams from each division are guaranteed spots 1 to 6 in the conference, and then spots 7 and 8 are wildcard which means the next 2 best teams get them?

So Philly has 3 less points than us, but because they are 3rd in their division and we are 4th in ours they get 6th and we are placed into a wildcard slot. Am I understanding this correctly?

If this is the case I find it absolutely ridiculous. Assume we had the same amount of games played and the Flyers had 3 less points than us, they would automatically finish higher because they are 3rd in their division.

Why did the NHL choose this format, it does not make any sense to me is there a specific reason for it? I just find it completely unacceptable that a team with LESS points can finish higher than a team with more points than them in the standings. It is a flawed format, and of course since we are in the Atlantic division we are stuck with a harder vision to finish top 3 in.

Am I understanding this correctly or .. ?

It doesn't help the fact that Yahoo sports has us slotted in 7th and then the official site of the NHL has us slotted in 5th place

Anyone else not really content with this?

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
It is the case. By making divisions more meaningful, you foster better rivalries.

If you want to make the playoffs, or get a higher seed, do better within your division.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Also, it shows we're still a ways away from feeling 'safe'. All 3 teams above us in our division have played less games and have the same points or more than us. We need to keep winning at all costs to avoid falling out of a playoff spot before the Olympic break.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Under this format, a team could potentially miss the playoffs, while having more points than the 6th place team. It might be rare .. but COULD possibly happen

Imagine a 9th place team with more points than 6th place

HenryH

Dec 9, 2010
Woodbridge
Two divisions: top 3 teams in each are ranked 1-3. The next two teams get the wild card spots.

Division leader with the most points plays the wild card team with the least points. The other division leader plays the wild card team with the most points. The ranks 2 and 3 teams in each division face off against each other.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
People really need to stop looking at the playoffs in the sense of conferences.

It's now basically division based.

1 plays wild card A/B and 2 plays 3 in each division.

The conference thing only comes into play for the wild card spots. Top two of the teams 4th and lower get these spots.

It's no longer about 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc. And even the media still talks about "7th and 8th place". So right now, Philly gets the Rags, pitt get cbj, habs get tbay, we get the B's.

What even I'm not 100% clear on is the scenario if we were WC 2 and CBJ was WC 1. Since Pittsburgh is the top division winner would we crossover to the Metro division and CBJ cross to the Atlantic. Or would they just let the teams stay in their divisions? I swear I've heard it explained both ways.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Under this format, a team could potentially miss the playoffs, while having more points than the 6th place team. It might be rare .. but COULD possibly happen

You realize that the old divisional system could have seen a 9th place team with more points than a 3rd place team, right?

This really isn't anything new or shocking.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
What even I'm not 100% clear on is the scenario if we were WC 2 and CBJ was WC 1. Since Pittsburgh is the top division winner would we crossover to the Metro division and CBJ cross to the Atlantic. Or would they just let the teams stay in their divisions? I swear I've heard it explained both ways.

From NHL announcement of wild card - Mar 14, 2013

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the fewest points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.
The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the conference championship series.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Assuming right now who would we face in the playoffs? since were 4th in the division (1st wildcard spot) that's what I personally don't get

Boston as they are the division leader with the fewest points (Leader B) and we are the Wild Card A team.

First Round is:

Division Leader A vs Wild Card B

Division Leader B vs Wild Card A

Atlantic 2 vs Atlantic 3

Metro 2 vs Metro 3

edit for Mess: I am aware that there have been an uneven amount of games played and this is for illustration purposes only :)

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Boston as they are the division leader with the fewest points (Leader B) and we are the Wild Card A team.

First Round is:

Division Leader A vs Wild Card B

Division Leader B vs Wild Card A

Atlantic 2 vs Atlantic 3

Metro 2 vs Metro 3

edit for Mess: I am aware that there have been an uneven amount of games played and this is for illustration purposes only :)

Ok makes sense thanks

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Say that we end up with more points than Philly for example that ends the season 2nd in the Metro and we meet them in the conference finals, do we get home ice advantage since we had more points or do they since they are in a higher seeding according to this system?

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
What I'd like to see is if there is a wild card from each division then that division's wild card stays in that division regardless of point totals. Or maybe it already works this way?

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Say that we end up with more points than Philly for example that ends the season 2nd in the Metro and we meet them in the conference finals, do we get home ice advantage since we had more points or do they since they are in a higher seeding according to this system?
Philly, probably, given that they weren't a wild card team.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

And how many times under the old format has there been complaints about the 3rd seed potentially having fewer points than the 9th place team? Nothing new here.

I'm not sure where all the confusion is coming from. Top 3 from each division makes it in , then 2 wildcards. Diviosn leader with most points plays wild card with least point, other division leader plays other wild card.

The only thing I haven't seen yet is how the second round and beyond works is there reseeding? Or is it still 'divisional' at that point?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I really dislike having 3 from each, should be 2 at most imo. You want the best teams in the playoffs, not ones that are gifted a playoff spot because of a weak division potentially

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto

I doubt it.

The top 2 seeds seem set, and then after divisional playoffs I think it will be based on points outside of those two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad