New PK / PP lines?

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Was thinking about the players we have lost and gained and wondered what the special team units will look like now. The PP obviously took a hit with Hamilton gone as that was prob his best attribute. Plus he kept Chara off or minimized which was a great thing. I have no idea if Beleskey can do either but one would figure a guy with a legit shot like that would enjoy the PP.

The PK is a little worrisome. Losing Paille and Campbell who were both excellent killing penalties, might hurt us. I don't know the new guy Joonas but most are saying he is a good 2 way guy. Does anyone know if he was on pk where he played? Obviously bergy/marchand is a pair (arguably best in the league), but who else? I have to assume kelly is gone before start of season as I just don't see a spot for him unless that Joonas guy doesn't impress.

Let's see some full units!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Was thinking about the players we have lost and gained and wondered what the special team units will look like now. The PP obviously took a hit with Hamilton gone as that was prob his best attribute. Plus he kept Chara off or minimized which was a great thing. I have no idea if Beleskey can do either but one would figure a guy with a legit shot like that would enjoy the PP.

The PK is a little worrisome. Losing Paille and Campbell who were both excellent killing penalties, might hurt us. I don't know the new guy Joonas but most are saying he is a good 2 way guy. Does anyone know if he was on pk where he played? Obviously bergy/marchand is a pair (arguably best in the league), but who else? I have to assume kelly is gone before start of season as I just don't see a spot for him unless that Joonas guy doesn't impress.

Let's see some full units!

Beleskey could be our in front of the net guy on the 2nd pp unit, Lou on the 1st.
I was thinking this too and I don't like it that Chara is going to be played on pp and give him less rest.

I had in mind that could Krecji+Krug be the point men in #1 pp unit and Chara+Morrow/C.Miller? on the 2nd while Beleskey doing the dirty work in front of the net.
Spooner+Pasta are golden addings to our pp.

Krug-Krecji-
Bergeron-Lou-Connolly/Pasta

Chara-Morrow/C.Miller-
Pasta/Connolly-Spooner-Beleskey

You don't need to worry about the pk, it's Kemppainen's speciality.

Marchand-Bergeron
Lou-Kemppainen make a 2 killer pk pairings.

edit: would Marchand on the point work? Take Chara out and give him time to rest and Marchand should be a good point forward due to his pk skills?

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Pk unit 1- Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, McQuaid

Pk unit 2- Kelly, Loui /Jonas, Seids, Miller

PP1- Spooner, Krejci, Loui, Chara, Krug

( Krejci n Krug at the Points, Chara parked in front, Spooner on half wall)

PP2- Marchand, Bergeron, Hayes, Krug, Pasta

Bergeron, Krug at the Points, Hayes parked in front, Pasta on half wall)

not a typo either Krug should play the full 2 mins each Powerplay

Lot of possibilities Beleskey could be on a PP Unit as well

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Using this as the 18-skaters. We'll see how many of Kemppainen, Ferlin, Morrow, C.Miller, etc. make it through camp. But for now I'll go with the guys on one-way deals (excluding Pasta)

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Eriksson - Krejci - Connolly
Belesky - Spooner - Hayes
Rinaldo - Kelly - Talbot

Chara - McQuaid
Seidenberg - Trotman
Krug - K.Miller

PK Forwards (6) Bergeron, Marchand, Eriksson, Kelly, Talbot, Krejci

PK D (4) Chara, Seidenberg, McQuaid, K.Miller

PP 1 - Pointman - Krug, Net front - Hayes, left-side boards - Connolly, right-side boards - Spooner, high-slot - Bergeron

PP 2 - Pointman - Trotman, Net front - Belesky, left-side boards - Krejci, right-side boards - Eriksson, high-slot - Pastrnak

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Pk unit 1- Marchand, Bergeron, Chara, McQuaid

Pk unit 2- Kelly, Loui /Jonas, Seids, Miller

PP1- Spooner, Krejci, Loui, Chara, Krug

( Krejci n Krug at the Points, Chara parked in front, Spooner on half wall)

PP2- Marchand, Bergeron, Hayes, Krug, Pasta

Bergeron, Krug at the Points, Hayes parked in front, Pasta on half wall)

not a typo either Krug should play the full 2 mins each Powerplay

Lot of possibilities Beleskey could be on a PP Unit as well

Bergeron should not be on the point. That failed for many years. Let's not revisit that again.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I'll be fine with whatever combination, as long as Marchand is in th3 mix. I've never understood why Claude has been so hesitant to put his best pure shooter on the PP. Definitely one of his more puzzling decisions.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'll be fine with whatever combination, as long as Marchand is in th3 mix. I've never understood why Claude has been so hesitant to put his best pure shooter on the PP. Definitely one of his more puzzling decisions.

Don't be surprised if Marchand again finds himself on the outside looking in when it comes to PP time next season.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Without any further roster changes, for the PK:

Forwards: Talbot, Bergeron, Kelly, Eriksson, Marchand, Krejci, Kemppainen
Defense: Chara, Seidenberg, K. Miller, McQuaid

I think Talbot's PK experience is the main reason he'll be a mainstay on this year's roster. Over the last 4 seasons, he's averaged 2:56 SH time per game.

If the Bruins don't make a move for a defenseman, I think they're going to need Krug or one of the younger guys to step up on the PK.

Dwatson783

@dwatson783
Feb 17, 2009
Boston, MA
PP Unit 1
Bergeron - Slot
Spooner - Wall
Beleskey - Low
Loui - Point/Backdoor
Krug - Point/QB

PP Unit 2
Pasta - Wall
Hayes - Low
Connolly - Slot
Krejci - Point/QB
Chara - Point/Shot

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Be interesting to see if Hayes works as a net-front guy. At 6-6, he has the size to provide a good screen. Problem with Chara and Looch was, when the shot came, they were never quick enough to get to the rebound.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Be interesting to see if Hayes works as a net-front guy. At 6-6, he has the size to provide a good screen. Problem with Chara and Looch was, when the shot came, they were never quick enough to get to the rebound.

Hayes makes his living around the net. It'll be a huge plus for us.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

and Looch constantly shifted out to the side of the net essentially eliminating the screen as the shots came in

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
PK will be fine. This team has seemingly never had a shortage of capable PK players.

No use moving Bergeron from the slot on the PP. He's been great there since he was put there. Unfortunately, the rest of that PP unit got ripped apart. As a a start, I think you can move Eriksson into Soda's old role down low, and then move Spooner to the half-wall. I can see that triangle (thanks, Brick) working out very nicely for puck possession.

Interesting thing is that we have some newer guys that can fill specific functions on the PP. Hayes and Beleskey could both be used in front of the net, and Connolly and Pasta can be used in shooting positions on the left side.

The well has completely dried up for D-men we can use on the PP besides Krug (and Chara, I guess?) unless Colin Miller gets a shot. I wonder which forward/s will get point duty on the PP. Krejci might.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not worried about both. Looch didn't do either, and Hamilton has to be substituted. Either a forward on the PP, and another defenseman on the PK. Clode will getter done.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
PK will be fine. This team has seemingly never had a shortage of capable PK players.

No use moving Bergeron from the slot on the PP. He's been great there since he was put there. Unfortunately, the rest of that PP unit got ripped apart. As a a start, I think you can move Eriksson into Soda's old role down low, and then move Spooner to the half-wall. I can see that triangle (thanks, Brick) working out very nicely for puck possession.

Interesting thing is that we have some newer guys that can fill specific functions on the PP. Hayes and Beleskey could both be used in front of the net, and Connolly and Pasta can be used in shooting positions on the left side.

The well has completely dried up for D-men we can use on the PP besides Krug (and Chara, I guess?) unless Colin Miller gets a shot. I wonder which forward/s will get point duty on the PP. Krejci might.

Except for this year, where we actually do have a shortage of capable PK players.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Pretty sure Rinaldo killed penalties in Philly. Don't quote me on that one though.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Marchand/Loui/Bergy/Kelly, the guy from Finland if he breaks camp with the big club might also be on that list, they are fine IMO

So 4 guys you've listed.

You know with almost certainty that 1 will be hurt at some point (2 of them are part of the all-concussed squad). If any of the others is the guy taking the actual penalty, you can see just how thin this group is. And Kelly will be 35 this season. I'm sure his best PK'ing years are behind him now...

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
So 4 guys you've listed.

You know with almost certainty that 1 will be hurt at some point (2 of them are part of the all-concussed squad). If any of the others is the guy taking the actual penalty, you can see just how thin this group is. And Kelly will be 35 this season. I'm sure his best PK'ing years are behind him now...

Who on that list is always concussed? :laugh: talk about a reach man. Bergy has been fine for how long?

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Who on that list is always concussed? :laugh: talk about a reach man. Bergy has been fine for how long?

I never said always concussed. I said the "all-concussed squad", which is true. And twice last year they pulled Bergy from games with headshots as a precaution. You can't say that he and Loui aren't at all times a hit away from being on the shelf again with them.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I never said always concussed. I said the "all-concussed squad", which is true. And twice last year they pulled Bergy from games with headshots as a precaution. You can't say that he and Loui aren't at all times a hit away from being on the shelf again with them.

Everyone on the ice is at risk for concussions, fractures, sprains, etc. I imagine Kempa was signed for this reason (depth), he is unproven at this level but his play outside of the NHL looks very promising for this role and he is an inexpensive option. As much as I would like to have formidable back-up options for this scenario, there's still that top 4 DFD that we're missing.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Pretty sure Rinaldo killed penalties in Philly. Don't quote me on that one though.

30 seconds per game 2 years ago
15 seconds per game last year

I think I heard the Flyers were trying it but he was horrid on the PK.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Lol Talbot has been among the league leaders in SH minutes for years. Him only having minimal minutes in Boston last year is a testament to their depth.

Bergeron, Marchand, Kelly, Eriksson, Talbot, Kemppainen will be the main guys, and you can work Krejci in when needed. Rinaldo and Beleskey are guys you can go to if you're in a tough spot. If you have 3 pairs, you're good.

This team has issues, but PK forwards is not one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad