New OHL Draft Pick Rule

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The OHL has announced a new rule restricting trading of draft picks. I'm a fan of this, what do you think?

I don't think this will really change anything. I never understand the people who come out at deadline time with the "wow a 4 year old kid was just traded" tweets. No, picks are just used as currency. Only thing this will mean is teams will have to sell bigger before going "all-in" because you'll need to stockpile picks in that 4 year window when you're going to make your run so you have tradeable assets

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
The OHL has announced a new rule restricting trading of draft picks. I'm a fan of this, what do you think?

It might prevent the weaker GM's being sold a bill of goods, thinking "look at all the picks I'm getting", when in reality most of them are so far down the road, they're almost meaningless.

Signed,

A Petes fan.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It might prevent the weaker GM's being sold a bill of goods, thinking "look at all the picks I'm getting", when in reality most of them are so far down the road, they're almost meaningless.

Signed,

A Petes fan.

As a fan of a team trying to get a boatload of picks for Will Cuylle, do you not hate this rule?

I know WSR was a popular guess for people on where he could end up. Well over the next 6 years, WSR has just 4 2nds. I assume WSR would say I'm not going down to 1 tradeable asset, you'll have to take less. Which certainly wouldn't be good news for the Petes if teams start getting eliminated from the Cuylle sweepstakes because of a lack of picks in the next 6 years

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
So you can't trade 2025 draft picks at all this season? Or next season and the year after?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Thinking long-term, I wonder if the the OHL will eventually allow teams to trade first round picks if teams can only trade picks within 4 years. 4 years is much different than mortgaging the future of a team over 10 years.

I also think this will eventually cause 2nd and 3rd round picks to be valued higher as well (less supply, same demand).

Reactions: hockeynorth

member 71782

Definitely a step in the right direction.

Draft picks have lost a lot of value with these deals.

For starters, outside of the "wow" factor of how many picks a player returned what have these pick heavy deals done?

A few teams have become loaded with picks but haven't been able to use them to their full potential in terms of drafting players who will report or in many cases use them for regular runs at championships.

They've also allowed a few teams making a run to make pick based trades that leaves the talent of the league centralized in a few markets while the team moving a player receives no talent back.

This should bring about more player for player trades that doesn't have teams emptying the draft cupboard while leaving other teams loaded with picks but always short on talent because players won't report when drafted.

I think this brings some value back to draft picks, forces teams to improve internal development and brings more parity to the league.

One more move that would further increase the value of picks, cut the draft down to 10 rounds. With fewer options in the league you should see some flyer picks decrease while the number of drafted players reporting increase. A lot of late round flyers that will only report to certain teams, even if they are drafted will help to spread out higher level talent to remaining teams.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
As a fan of a team trying to get a boatload of picks for Will Cuylle, do you not hate this rule?

I know WSR was a popular guess for people on where he could end up. Well over the next 6 years, WSR has just 4 2nds. I assume WSR would say I'm not going down to 1 tradeable asset, you'll have to take less. Which certainly wouldn't be good news for the Petes if teams start getting eliminated from the Cuylle sweepstakes because of a lack of picks in the next 6 years
They’d be 1 trade away from a boat load of 2nds to recover with a dipietro trade ..you’d like to think petes will take less won’t happen that’s the Goin rate they’ll get it

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017

No, I think some GM's think a 2nd pick is a 2nd pick is a 2nd pick, which just isn't true. Net present value, and all that. A draft pick seven years from now is less than magic beans in my eyes, it's just going to change hands a half dozen more times.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Not the worst rule in the league as least k think it could level the playing field across both conferences especially the ones on the eastern side of the league where time and time again there used to be huge number of draft choices be stocked up by one team in a given year and thinned out in another

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
You might see more roster players move now, not sure this will make the league more attractive to players sitting on the fence on which route to take

Reactions: Savard18

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
You might see more roster players move now, not sure this will make the league more attractive to players sitting on the fence on which route to take
I don't think player movement is a huge factor for those players. The teams that the fence sitting college players gravitate to (London for example) tend to move more players in and out that anyone.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
I don't think this will really change anything. I never understand the people who come out at deadline time with the "wow a 4 year old kid was just traded" tweets. No, picks are just used as currency. Only thing this will mean is teams will have to sell bigger before going "all-in" because you'll need to stockpile picks in that 4 year window when you're going to make your run so you have tradeable assets

I agree. I had no problem with the way things were. It was a tradeable asset not a child that was being traded

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
It's about time! Last year some team traded a 2028 draft pick near the deadline. Almost every trade for a really good player is a ludicris amount of draft picks in the ohl.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
They’d be 1 trade away from a boat load of 2nds to recover with a dipietro trade ..you’d like to think petes will take less won’t happen that’s the Goin rate they’ll get it

You're right. Mike Oke would never do a trade that wasn't very good for his hockey club

But for real, I was just asking NorthernVoice if he was worried this new rule could affect the Cuylle pricetag, idk why you feel the need to jump in to literaly every conversation I have on hfboards. DM me if you want to talk to me that bad my dude

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Petes Acquire Nine Picks in Trade with Windsor – Peterborough Petes

Peterborough Petes General Manager Michael Oke announced Friday that the team has acquired seven OHL Priority Selection picks from the Windsor Spitfires and two compensatory picks from the Ontario Hockey League, a total of nine picks, in exchange for forward Will Cuylle.

In the deal, Peterborough acquires one first round pick, four second round picks, three third round picks, and one fifth round pick, as follows:
  • Kingston’s 2nd round pick in 2019
  • Kingston’s 3rd round pick in 2020
  • Windsor’s 5th round pick in 2020
  • Windsor’s 3rd round pick in 2021
  • Barrie’s 2nd round pick in 2022
  • Windsor’s 3rd round in 2023
  • Kitchener’s 2nd round pick in 2024* (conditional)
  • 1st round pick (5th overall) in 2019 (OHL Compensatory Pick)
  • 2nd round pick (end of round) in 2019 (OHL Compensatory Pick)

Reactions: hockeynorth

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I still think 4 years is too far ahead. It's good that they're doing something, though. Anyone who has paid attention to trades in the OHL knows it's gotten out of hand. I'd like to see them allow first round picks to be traded, but only in the next draft and only if the team dealing the first rounder has at least one second round pick for that year in the cupboard.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
I still think 4 years is too far ahead. It's good that they're doing something, though. Anyone who has paid attention to trades in the OHL knows it's gotten out of hand. I'd like to see them allow first round picks to be traded, but only in the next draft and only if the team dealing the first rounder has at least one second round pick for that year in the cupboard.

How is it out of hand? It’s called asset management. If one does any research at all on the subject before jumping to conclusions they will realize the average draft pick will trade hands 4-5 times before it is actually used. It is a place holder and a tradeable asset. Simple as that

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
How is it out of hand? It’s called asset management. If one does any research at all on the subject before jumping to conclusions they will realize the average draft pick will trade hands 4-5 times before it is actually used. It is a place holder and a tradeable asset. Simple as that

You've had some contending teams trade nearly all of their second and third round picks 5, 6 even 7 years down the line. If these teams don't recoup those picks they put themselves in a really bad spot, particularly in a league where no player plays more than 5 years.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
You've had some contending teams trade nearly all of their second and third round picks 5, 6 even 7 years down the line. If these teams don't recoup those picks they put themselves in a really bad spot, particularly in a league where no player plays more than 5 years.

Each team digs their own grave and it is up to them to recoup or sink.

The good teams do this. The wannabes don’t

Again, all comes Dow to how you manage your assets

Reactions: Otto and EvenSteven

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

So basically if you have a bad GM who doesn't know what he's doing, you're going to be screwed. And if you have a smart GM who understands the league, you will be in a much better spot.

Yeah, that sounds like how it should be

Reactions: EvenSteven

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
Each team digs their own grave and it is up to them to recoup or sink.

The good teams do this. The wannabes don’t

Again, all comes Dow to how you manage your assets

The good teams trade all their picks and still do well because they consistently attract top American and European talent that other teams simply don't have the resources to lure away from the NCAA or European pro leagues. It's not a surprise that London, Windsor and Kitchener are consistently good - each of those cities have 200,000+ people just within city limits to buy tickets and merch. The OHL is well within it's rights to try and maintain some degree of parity year-to-year. Just like corporate McDonalds controls the menu at their franchise restaurants the OHL is going to direct the ship for all 20 of it's franchises.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Not sure how I feel about it, as it does kind of leave teams who have already sold those long picks with limited options to recover them for the short term, but that will eventually get itself sorted out. While I like the intent, I suspect what will happen is GOJHL teams are suddenly going to see a lot more investment as rookies get traded more often during load up years.

Really, it depends on the intent behind this change. If the intent is to limit GMs from salting the earth for their replacement, after they've had a successful run and potentially move onto bigger and better things, then it's the right move. If the intent is to try to stop the league from load-up feasts and rebuild famines, this isn't really going to do much and I don't think it's a good thing. The only difference is now rookies are going to become currency instead of draft picks, and realistically, that's not fair to see a rookie kid be moved around for the benefits of a team load-up.

I think it's proper to put a cap on how far into the future you can trade, but I'd prefer 5 years, not 4.

Last edited:

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
So basically if you have a bad GM who doesn't know what he's doing, you're going to be screwed. And if you have a smart GM who understands the league, you will be in a much better spot.

Yeah, that sounds like how it should be

Why not just limit the league to 6 or 7 teams with large metro areas and new taxpayer-funded arenas, then? The idea that the teams in the OHL - or any North American sports league for that matter - are fully independent corporations is silly on its face. These teams are franchises in a larger organization and it's obviously in the interest of that organization to keep things somewhat competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad