New NHL proposal coming this week; NHL won't respond to counter unless salary cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Based on last year's revenue, one percentage point of revenue is worth more than $30 million. Under the NHL's proposed cut, players would give up $330 million for next season.

Based on what happened in the NFL and NBA negotiations, it was expected before negotiations started that the league would be trying to get the revenue split closer to 50-50. Players argue that comparing the NHL to other sports isn't fair because the economics of all sports are vastly different.

interesting........

i guess both leagues have lucrative american tv contacts, while the nhl is minuscule....

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Good. Keep working toward common ground.

There is an eternity left when it comes to negotiation times.

Puckschmuck*

Let's hope this doesn't turn into another never-ending Gongdale show type scenario :help:

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
The players can't win this fight, they need to instruct Fehr to negotiate as hard as he can but on the 15th accept what is on the table, they probably won't be happy with what will be on the table if a long lockout happens!

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
The players can't win this fight, they need to instruct Fehr to negotiate as hard as he can but on the 15th accept what is on the table, they probably won't be happy with what will be on the table if a long lockout happens!

If they do they will wait until end of September, they dont care about the pre-season games.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If they do they will wait until end of September, they dont care about the pre-season games.

preseason sucks anyway... i have a feeling something will be accepted on the 15th, especially if there are talks of no alternate schedule. Bettman isn't stupid/

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
preseason sucks anyway... i have a feeling something will be accepted on the 15th, especially if there are talks of no alternate schedule. Bettman isn't stupid/

You think Bettman was telling the truth there?

I'll hold my breath and remain optimistic, but all I can say is hopefully its better than the last offer.

Captain Mittens*

New NHL proposal coming this week......To a theater or drive in near you!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The players won't cave that easily this time and I don't blame them. The owners got everything they wanted last time and now they are saying that's not good enough. Last time was different. There were some serious financial problems with the sport and it was trending downward. They are trending upwards now and to lose a whole season would reverse everything they have accomplished over the past 7 seasons. There will be a lock out but there is definetly room for negotiation this time around with a little give and take on both sides.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I agree, and preseason really benefits the players, coaches, and teams...as opposed to the organizations. Preseason revenue isn't substantial. If missing the preseason puts pressure on anyone, it would be the players but even that is minimal.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I agree, and preseason really benefits the players, coaches, and teams...as opposed to the organizations. Preseason revenue isn't substantial. If missing the preseason puts pressure on anyone, it would be the players but even that is minimal.

I wouldnt say that's true. With the way players prepare physically during the offseason and with the grind of an 82 game schedule I dont think the players need the preseason. Maybe some of the young guys trying to prove themselves and earn a spot but for the majority of established players I'm sure they'd rather skip it.

I think the Canadian teams at least do fairly well with preseason games. They dont tend to sell out but they do charge for the tickets and there's no additional expense for the owners since they've already paid the players.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If the NHL proposal doesn't move significantly off their earlier offer the season is doomed.

I really wish there were something fans could do to inject some urgency into this process like boycott NHL merchandise, boycott NHL sponsor products, etc.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
reporterchris: NYPD officer in front of NHL headquarters in New York: "Are they going to get this done or what?"

reporterchris: Donald Fehr says this could be a back and forth day of negotiations -- with the NHLPA leaving NHL office and coming back.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If the NHL proposal doesn't move significantly off their earlier offer the season is doomed.

I really wish there were something fans could do to inject some urgency into this process like boycott NHL merchandise, boycott NHL sponsor products, etc.

One suggestion from Marek v Wyshinski podcast was to "occupy" the NHL Store in Manhattan. :sarcasm:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The players won't cave that easily this time and I don't blame them. The owners got everything they wanted last time and now they are saying that's not good enough. Last time was different. There were some serious financial problems with the sport and it was trending downward. They are trending upwards now and to lose a whole season would reverse everything they have accomplished over the past 7 seasons. There will be a lock out but there is definetly room for negotiation this time around with a little give and take on both sides.

Definetely agree that there is room for negotiation. A bunch of the owner stuff seemed a matter of adjusting the current system. I really like what someone suggested where there was a 1-2% annual reduction in the HRR% from 57% it's at currently to something more "fair" like 50%.

However - the owners always have the leverage in this situation. Most owners aren't making money off their NHL franchise. If the league doesn't operating - they're not that much worse off. For most NHL players, each year is a HUGE % of their lifetime earning potential. If you average career is 8 years - the player is flushing 12.5% of their practical lifetime earning potential down the toilet. That's a really big deal IMO, and what gives the owners the leverage. Most hockey players have a short window to set themselves up for life, and it's REALLY tough to forego a big chunk of that when in the end you're likely going to have to give something back anyway.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange
1st stage (?) of meeting lasted 45 min before the Fehr's left #NHL offices to consult. No comment from Fehr, wants to talk w/ constituents.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

NHL saying this is not the end of the session today #TSN

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl

Don and Steve Fehr are going to update players. Could be further meetings with NHL today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad