New New York Times Article on CTE (110/111) came back with CTE

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I want to see the study where they take 110 people that never played sports and see what they show. I don't believe they've done a study like that, if so, can someone link it?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You should read the articles - they won't say it's a direct correlation because it wasn't a random sample, which I think is what you're getting st. It was a sample of people who had cte or had symptoms. Good old media blowing you up with the headline though, right? Journalism sucks today.

But one interesting aspect is that they found more severe cases the longer the player played.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It's true. They've never looked at the brains of nonathletes in the history of modern medicine.

And so I asked, can someone link to the study where they look for CTE in non-athletes.

I am sure playing sports makes it worse, but it would be nice to know how much worse. Do non athletes have a 0% chance? A 10% chance? You need to know what you are measuring against.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
CTE has been known for literally almost 100 years. Do you really need to be told that its prevalence is much greater by X amount when your head gets banged around? Sports isn't the only way to get it.

In addition, CTE has been observed in non-athletes who have experienced repetitive brain trauma, including people with epilepsy, developmentally disabled individuals with head banging, and victims of domestic violence or other physical abuse. More recently, CTE has been confirmed at autopsy in soldiers with histories of repetitive brain trauma returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://pnl.bwh.harvard.edu/education/what-is/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy/

I get wanting proof, but some things don't need to be challenged.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
There is proof, obvious proof, but you need to know what the baseline is. That's science.

You need to know to what level should be the target of safety regulations. If half the population that didn't play sports have CTE, then you know where you need to be. If it's 5%, you know it has to be a lot better.

This is all I am saying here.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I don't get the relevance of the exact number (considering, as I said, CTE can be developed through a myriad of other activities), but I guess we can slap some warning labels on sportsballs and say we addressed the problem?

We can only make the games so safe. Concussion helmets only do so much. This is a thing that will probably never go away as long as we have organized sports.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
There is proof, obvious proof, but you need to know what the baseline is. That's science.

You need to know to what level should be the target of safety regulations. If half the population that didn't play sports have CTE, then you know where you need to be. If it's 5%, you know it has to be a lot better.

Here's a possible source in a 3 second google search - http://www.bu.edu/cte/

I'm not gullible enough to do legwork for your own research to prove a point; you'll have to dig through the medical files yourself to find the answer.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

It's very bad but it's really important to understand that these 111 players had problems in life post-career and wanted to be checked out in death. Players who reported no problems didn't request to have their brains examined. So it's a self selected group, it's not like 99% of all players have CTE, not by a longshot

What's the actual number, 10%? 20%? 40%? who knows unless they all autopsy

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ The number is irrelevant. Is there a link between getting your head banged around and having CTE? The answer appears to be no **** there is. So what are we gonna do about it? Again, only so much.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
^ The number is irrelevant. Is there a link between getting your head banged around and having CTE? The answer appears to be no **** there is. So what are we gonna do about it? Again, only so much.

The end result will be less talent in the NFL. The talent will go to other sports or professions and you'll have more marginal players fill the void

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It's a contact sport. There will be issues with CTE. I wouldn't be surprised if getting your bell rung in a game is a mandatory 1-game sit soon. Of course then you'd have to make the penalty for targeting the head more severe. Auto-ejections and suspensions.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It's a contact sport. There will be issues with CTE. I wouldn't be surprised if getting your bell rung in a game is a mandatory 1-game sit soon. Of course then you'd have to make the penalty for targeting the head more severe. Auto-ejections and suspensions.

The concussions are one thing, but they're also finding that repeated non-concussion impacts also result in CTE. So a player may never have been knocked out and still turn into a vegetable by 45 years old

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The concussions are one thing, but they're also finding that repeated non-concussion impacts also result in CTE. So a player may never have been knocked out and still turn into a vegetable by 45 years old

That's something they're not going to be able to control unless you take contact out, unfortunately.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
everything on South Park always comes true

960.jpg

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Well all the information is out there for today's players. They've modified helmets and pads. Not much else they can do.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Well all the information is out there for today's players. They've modified helmets and pads. Not much else they can do.

IMO no helmet will do jack over an NFL career, it's the sudden accelerating into a brick wall where the brain accelerates and smashes into the skull over and over and over again

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You know players aren't taught to lead with their helmets right? Maybe if they would flag ball carriers more often when they use the crown of their helmet you'd see less concussions.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It does make me wonder - I mean after age 40 your brain starts to go. I'm 41 and can already feel some of those effects. I played rugby and football but I think my memory loss is just natural

Also, there's a concern in the medical community that dementia and Alzheimer's are growing in numbers.

Not trying to minimize the CTE thing at all - it's very real. But some of these guys could be just getting old. I don't care who you are - father time catches up with ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad