Movies: New Mutants (April 2020)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Doesn't look too bad. Almost sold on Magik wielding the Soulsword.

According to the director, nothing was changed about the movie, it's his original cut and it was always meant to be PG-13.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm interested to see what Disney intends to do with this movie.

Is it still part of Fox's X-Verse or is it going to be folded into the MCU.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm interested to see what Disney intends to do with this movie.

Is it still part of Fox's X-Verse or is it going to be folded into the MCU.

They haven't officially said yet, but I am guessing the plan as of right now is to have it be a part of the Fox stuff. That could change if it ended up being a bit hit, though.

Reactions: Guardian17

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's just a trailer though. We have seen it happen plenty of times where the trailer looks awesome, and then the actual movie is a dud

Apparently Feige was very impressed after seeing the theatrical cut:

The New Mutants Will Reportedly Join The MCU If The Movie's A Hit

Sources close to We Got This Covered – the same ones who tipped us off on comic book movie-related happenings like Viola Davis’ return for The Suicide Squad, Daniel Radcliffe being eyed for Moon Knight and the development of a Ms. Marvel show on Disney Plus well before they were all confirmed – have told us that Kevin Feige has seen the theatrical cut of The New Mutants and walked away quite impressed, so much so that if it does well at the box office, then the Marvel Studios head wants to bring them into the MCU at some point in the future.

Reactions: Guardian17

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm bumping this thread, as this is finally getting released. This and Tenet are the first big budget releases since Covid hit

Not sure how it'll do, as, if anyone has reservations about going to the theatre, I don't think this movie is enough of a a draw to overcome that.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Won't be many reviews for this as Disney is not presenting screener copies and a lot of places don't want to put their reviewers in potential harms way.

The general sense is that Disney is just trying to bury this movie. There's apparently penalties if they don't theatrically release it, so, I think the plan is to give it the bare minimum requirement for release before streaming.

They must not want this to confuse any of their plans for the Xmen franchise. Still, in a time when they're bleeding money, you'd think they'd make a bit of effort too generate interest.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The general sense is that Disney is just trying to bury this movie. There's apparently penalties if they don't theatrically release it, so, I think the plan is to give it the bare minimum requirement for release before streaming.

They must not want this to confuse any of their plans for the Xmen franchise. Still, in a time when they're bleeding money, you'd think they'd make a bit of effort too generate interest.

HBO has the first streaming rights.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

I feel bombarded by ads for this and barely seen anything for Tenet.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Just saw it! Best X-Men movie ever. They got all the characters pretty good.

Rahne and Danis relationship was pretty spot on.
Cannonball was very early Cannonball-esq which makes sense.
Magik was great! Little off character. They did Lockheed as good as you can do for a movie.
Sunspot was eh. He could have been out of the movie and it wouldn't change it. They did a good job building him and Cannonball's relationship.
Guessing this movie fits more after Days of Future Past with the Essex Corp reference.

Reactions: JenniferH

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Funny because most reviews are saying it's the worst X-men movie. :laugh::laugh:

Not that I care for what reviews say

Reviewers are bad! There is a couple downsides to the movie. There was a couple times I couldn't pick up what Rahne or Magik were saying due to their accents. Some of the movie was more of a setup for future movies (apparently the director wanted an alien invasion movie for 2, Warlock, and the Inferno for film 3.) Would have preferred a Magik centered movie over Dani. I don't think Dani was interesting until she joined the MLF in the comics.

Casting was also great. Character selection was on point. If you're doing New Mutants these are the ones you pick. No one wants Karma or BoomBoom.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I loved it. I was invested the entire time. Definitely not my favourite X-Men movie (Days of Future Past was ridiculously good), but this probably a close second.

Do not understand the bad reviews whatsoever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad