New Management or McDavid

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
New management for sure. Feels weird saying that considering... McJesus... lol
I feel like I'm in a different reality. This is unbelievable...

And yes I do realize there is a looooong way to go and nothing is ever certain, but I'm happy. This whole entire week has had me with a bounce in my step. I am looking forward to the next chapter.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid, McDavid, McDavid, and McDavid again

McDavid is the reason that our fortunes are turning. Chiarelli said that the outcome of the lottery impacted his decision to sign here. McDavid is the reason we can aim higher for free agents too. MacT managed to sign Fayne and Pouliot last season, both players turning down more money to go elsewhere, and we were showing signs of improving with Nelson.

But of course having new management is a huge deal. It removes this distraction and brings in someone who is proven to be able to build a contender from an imbalanced roster.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
McDavid started the whole thing moving, but the management change is what will completely revitalize this team.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Mcdavid, Its no offense to others but Hall, RNh, Eberle will not understand greatness till mcdavid is anchoring a line with them. Its like Crosby he makes them all better.

i personally think Shero was incompetent in Pitts but a generational talent makes everyone better and smarter.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Very good question, but then I like hypotheticals.

New management, full stop. A poisoned well doesn't improve simply by adding a drop of new water to it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
no McD + OBC = fail

No McD - OBC = better, hard to say

No McD + Chiarelli = better +. chance at SC

McD + OBC = better. chance at SC. but never reach potential

Mcd - OBC = Yahoo!!

McD + Chiarelli = Yahoo ++

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
You're only as good as your best players.

Ken Holland has been widely considered one of if not the best GM for the last 10 years. His teams still make the playoffs but they haven't been contending for the cup since Lidstrom left. You can also look at Lamoriello. He was considered one of the best GM's too but ever since he lost guys like Niedermayer/Parise/Kovalchuk, Jersey has been garbage.

Players win in this league. I don't care how good of a manager you are, you are not just going to pull a McDavid out of thin air.

It's McDavid by a long shot for me.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
002594afb0cad551f403bf596a58469b2168e709bef3ba57ce1062884da9865a.jpg

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Mcdavid is not the reason we have new management. Bob had gone on the record as saying this is the culmination of months of work. Chiarelli has said bob and Kevin are the reason he is coming here (more so bob imo). Is winning the lottery awesome? Yes. Did we change our entire management in a week because of it? no. Having mcdavid and Chiarelli really helps us attract free agents and coaches but if we didn't win lottery we are still here today talking abou how Chiarelli is gm and bob is ceo

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
probably new management but that doesn't happen unless we get McDavid IMO

people always thought we were a laughing stock but those lottery balls changed the franchise entirely

no more excuses...winning starts immediately

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Considering that we lucked into McDavid and management can be changed any time....McDavid. Might sound far fetched, but if we didn't get that ticket we might not be talking about new management today.

So McDavid for me. (But thank God above it's both :yo:)

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Mcdavid, if Lowe and company are here for the duration of his career it means we started winning!

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Mcdavid is not the reason we have new management. Bob had gone on the record as saying this is the culmination of months of work. Chiarelli has said bob and Kevin are the reason he is coming here (more so bob imo). Is winning the lottery awesome? Yes. Did we change our entire management in a week because of it? no. Having mcdavid and Chiarelli really helps us attract free agents and coaches but if we didn't win lottery we are still here today talking abou how Chiarelli is gm and bob is ceo

I'm sure Bobby Nick was thinking management change long ago and Chia's firing happened before the lottery, but the phone call to Chiarelli came on Sunday, April 19th, because of the lottery April 18th.

And didn't Chia say that McDavid was part of the appeal?

IMO, McD is the reason this all happened so fast, tho it could very well have been inevitable. Managerial change almost certainly was.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
:laugh:

New management > McDavid, but it's always nice to have both.

I agree. New Management for me and its not even close.
New management can actually surround players like McDavid with a quality team and create a winning environment.

I am very glad the OBC wasn't allowed to screw this up.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What just happened? I left for vacation on the morning of April 18 and stayed off the internet until today. I check this site and find out that we won the draft lottery, "turfed" Lowe and Mac T and hired Chiarelli. So much good news in just over one week. Next season is going to be good.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
What just happened? I left for vacation on the morning of April 18 and stayed off the internet until today. I check this site and find out that we won the draft lottery, "turfed" Lowe and Mac T and hired Chiarelli. So much good news in just over one week. Next season is going to be good.

that's pretty funny. it was quite the week. best since the 06 finals.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Winning the lottery was bittersweet because it meant that KLowe and MacT could likely hide their ineptitude with the success of the next great star. Even before our next coach is decided I'm very optimistic about the future of this team just because the OBC is dead. Nelson, McLellan, Babcock or anyone not named Eakins will do fine.

It's a great time for Oilers fans and I'm happy to be back.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
You're only as good as your best players.

Ken Holland has been widely considered one of if not the best GM for the last 10 years. His teams still make the playoffs but they haven't been contending for the cup since Lidstrom left. You can also look at Lamoriello. He was considered one of the best GM's too but ever since he lost guys like Niedermayer/Parise/Kovalchuk, Jersey has been garbage.

Players win in this league. I don't care how good of a manager you are, you are not just going to pull a McDavid out of thin air.

It's McDavid by a long shot for me.

This. McDavid.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

You should go away more often.

You're bad luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad