New Management or McDavid

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
New management for sure. I've been a diehard Oil fan for years, but I was close to hoping Nuge and Hall got traded just so I could watch them play on a team with competent coaching and management. MacT seemed like a smart guy, but he was lost as a GM. There was no hope with him and Lowe steering the ship.

I'm effing thrilled about McDavid, but Chiarelli has me believing this team has hope.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
You are granting an awful lot of currency to a fluke cup appearance.

The years that followed 2006 are littered with incompetence and arrogance.

ok, first of all did we get lucky, ya, of course but every team that wins the cup has some luck on their side. Second your missing a big piece to that... Pronger. It wasn't Lowe's fault that he left. I agree the years after that were brutal, Vanek, Heatley...etc. All brutal moves. However, the biggest single reason we sucked was because our star player suddenly demanded a trade. Can't blame Lowe for that, I honest think it was Lowe who decided finally to rebuild. I think the ownership put pressure on him to get star players. I think he was the initial person that realized a rebuild had to happen. I mean if it wasn't him, then who exaclty made that decision? Sure it has taken longer than most would like, and it started later than it should have, but people take for granted that at least it happened, it was the right decision and it didn't have to happen at all.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Management has to build a team and surround McDavid with enough support so that this isnt a wasted pick.

Based on the evidence I am not at all convinced that MacT and Lowe would have been able to accomplish that.

Unlike MacT and Lowe PC has a proven track record as a Manager.

I do wonder how Lowe and Chiarelli would be regarded today if Chara chose the Oilers in 07 rather than the Bruins. I do get where okgooil is coming from. I think luck plays a huge role in the success of any GM.

Did a couple of 2nd round picks like Bergeron/Krejci develop so well in Boston because of Chiarelli or was it luck? Why didn't superior prospects like Gagner and Cogliano develop here? Was it because of Lowe or were they just not as good?

Both Gm's made good moves to shore up their D. Boston banked on Bergeron/Krecji and won. We banked on Gagner/Cogliano and lost. Could just as easily have gone the other way.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Management.

Even when the Oilers selected/developed/traded for decent players, the players either regressed or never met their potential on the team.

Some of it is luck, but it does seem like an inordinate number of players "find" their game once they have left the franchise. That's on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad