Line Combos: New lineup??

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
People do realize that you don’t have to play Marner with Matthews right?
Tkachuk didn’t play with Barkov.

They are one of the top lines when they are together, why not use them together and put Knies on their wing so you can spread out the talent? Maybe people keep them together because they think it is the optimal lineup.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
If Willy stays I think he will be 2C by the end of the year. Domi 3C.

Knies-Matthew-JT
Marner-Styles-Bertuzzi
Jarnkrok-Domi-Lafferty
????-Kampf-????

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-Domi-Jarnkrok
Lafferty-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-Liljegren
McCabe-Klingberg
Giordano-Brodie

Samsonov
Woll

Reactions: barriers

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They are one of the top lines when they are together, why not use them together and put Knies on their wing so you can spread out the talent? Maybe people keep them together because they think it is the optimal lineup.
How does Knies on their wing "spread out the talent"?

Their main talent is Matthews, with Marner and Nylander second tier. Either one with Matty isn't spreading out the talent.

If you seriously want to "spread out the talent", you put those three on separate lines, or at most put Mitch and Willy on the second line.

Some people think they play best together. Others think they don't (which seems to be supported by some evidence), but also that Tavares and Nylander don't play well together (which seems to be very evident).

If you want those four on the top two lines, there is a reasonable argument for Matty/Willy and JT/Mitch pairings.

Downside is maybe a waste having the two best scorers on one line: upside is maybe Mitch can get JT a few more goals, to try to justify his salary.

Reactions: 5mokey

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If Willy stays I think he will be 2C by the end of the year. Domi 3C.

Knies-Matthew-JT
Marner-Styles-Bertuzzi
Jarnkrok-Domi-Lafferty
????-Kampf-????
JT would ruin the top line - far too slow to be playing with those two.

If they move Willy to 2C, I can see JT on his wing, or as 3C.

I can also see Domi at 2C.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How does Knies on their wing "spread out the talent"?

Their main talent is Matthews, with Marner and Nylander second tier. Either one with Matty isn't spreading out the talent.

If you seriously want to "spread out the talent", you put those three on separate lines, or at most put Mitch and Willy on the second line.

Some people think they play best together. Others think they don't (which seems to be supported by some evidence), but also that Tavares and Nylander don't play well together (which seems to be very evident).

If you want those four on the top two lines, there is a reasonable argument for Matty/Willy and JT/Mitch pairings.

Downside is maybe a waste having the two best scorers on one line: upside is maybe Mitch can get JT a few more goals, to try to justify his salary.

Tavares is still a PPG player, Bertuzzi, and Domi are decent secondary scoring, and Jarnkrok is fine too.

There are players outside of Nylander/Marner/Matthews who can put the puck in the net, but I also want a top 5 line in the league (Marner/Matthews)

Nylander can drive his own line.

People seem to be fixated on having Marner/Matthews/Tavares/Nylander all in the top 6, spreading out the talent to me looks more like this:

Knies - Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Domi - Holmberg - Nylander

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There has to be more moves coming, right?
They got rolled in 8 of 11 playoff games, partially because they couldn’t create line combos, and looks even more difficult now

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Domi-Tavares-Marner
Knies-Kampf-Jarnkrok
McMann-Lafferty-Reaves

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Klingberg
Giordano-Liljergren
Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Could see Brodie shipped out for a bigger and more physical defenceman

Last edited:
Reactions: Clyde Brewer

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tavares is still a PPG player, Bertuzzi, and Domi are decent secondary scoring, and Jarnkrok is fine too.

There are players outside of Nylander/Marner/Matthews who can put the puck in the net, but I also want a top 5 line in the league (Marner/Matthews)

Nylander can drive his own line.

People seem to be fixated on having Marner/Matthews/Tavares/Nylander all in the top 6, spreading out the talent to me looks more like this:

Tavares more and more is dependent on the PP and his right winger to produce. He, Bertuzzi, Domi, and Jarnkrok are decent, but all a tier below Marner and Nylander.

You want to "spread out the talent" and also want a "top 5 line".

I'm not sure why you think Nylander can drive his own line, but neither Matthews nor Marner can, especially since you seem to think they are much better players.

To me, "spreading out the talent" while keeping a "top 5 line" could just as easily look like:

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Domi - Holmberg - Marner

or:

Knies - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Marner

or:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Knies - Domi - Nylander
Tavares - Holmberg - Marner

You seem to be fixated on "Mitch on line 1, JT at 2C, and Willy on line 3".

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Nylander
Domi-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-Kampf-Jarnkrok
McMann-Lafferty-Reaves

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Klingberg
Giordano-Liljergren
Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Could see Brodie shipped out for a bigger and more physical defenceman
Clone Willy to replace Mitch? Interesting.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Tavares more and more is dependent on the PP and his right winger to produce. He, Bertuzzi, Domi, and Jarnkrok are decent, but all a tier below Marner and Nylander.

You want to "spread out the talent" and also want a "top 5 line".

I'm not sure why you think Nylander can drive his own line, but neither Matthews nor Marner can, especially since you seem to think they are much better players.

To me, "spreading out the talent" while keeping a "top 5 line" could just as easily look like:

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Domi - Holmberg - Marner

or:

Knies - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Marner

or:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Jarnkrok
Knies - Domi - Nylander
Tavares - Holmberg - Marner

You seem to be fixated on "Mitch on line 1, JT at 2C, and Willy on line 3".

Clone Willy to replace Mitch? Interesting.

Marner and Matthews together will always make more sense to me. Spread out your best goal scorers in Matthews and Nylander and have your best playmaker with your best goal scorer. It doesn't have to be a 24/7 thing but that should be the usual line up.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner and Matthews together will always make more sense to me. Spread out your best goal scorers in Matthews and Nylander and have your best playmaker with your best goal scorer. It doesn't have to be a 24/7 thing but that should be the usual line up.
That's fine with me.

I'm just offering other ideas to one poster who seems to think that one of our two best goal scorers only belongs on the third line.

I agree with him that Tavares and Nylander don't work particularly well together, but his only solution seems to be 'Willy on 3'.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I like this lineup in theory:

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi: Strong cycle line and all can shoot.
Domi- Nylander - Marner: Speed line with Nylander as the trigger man. Marner to Selke protect Nylander and Domi the muscle haha
Tavares - Holmberg - Jarnkrok: insulate Tavares line, but still have some scoring touch. JT/Holm to rotate faceoffs
Lafferty - Kampf - Reaves/Mccann, etc. - Grinder line. Maybe move Kamp with Holmberg as required.

PP1
Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner - Nylander
Klingberg

PP2
Tavares - Knies - Domi
Rielly - Lilly

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who thinks the Leafs are going to see a Line of Domi --- Tavares -- Marner .. 3 former London Knights playing together?

1688766865338.png
1688766951767.png
1688767078303.png

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - Domi - Jarnkrok
Reaves - Kampf - Holmberg
Lafferty

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
History suggests that Domi will not excel as a 3rd line center especially defensively. I suspect this will be tried regardless and for a considerable amount of time because it would be great if it worked. The best use of him probably will be on the wing in the top 6.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Tavares Jarnkrok
Robertson Domi Holmberg
McMann Kampf Reeves

Rielly Brodie
Klingberg Liljegren
McCabe Timmins
Giordano

Samsonov
Woll

I'm not in love with the D. There has to be someone else coming in. This is just July speculation. I do think TOR will move on from Nylander. It's not an indictment on Dubas/Nylander. It's just cap costs and players getting raises. You can't bring in Domi, Bertuzzi, Klingberg for 1 year. Plus you also can't give Rielly, Samsonov, and Kampf raises and expect to keep the same "core 4" together.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If no other changes are made, without carrying any extras this lineup just fits under the salary cap.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Domi - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Nylander
Lafferty - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Klingberg

Samsonov - Woll

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway