New Limit of Foreigners [starting from season 2014/2015]

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
Vice president of the khl, vladimir shalaev told to rsports.ru that there are 3 possible versions.

a.) players from those countries, who plays in the khl (incl. FIN,SVK,CZE) will not be seen as foreigners, the number of players from other countries should not be higher that 5
b.) leave it like it is now (5)
c.) increase the number to 7

http://rsport.ru/hockey/20131217/708719034.html

Last edited:

FreshFruit

Sep 30, 2013
Europe
Voted for option 'c'.

I think that the clubs and the league will benefit more with 2 extra foreign players (current limit now is 5 not 6?) from all markets than from cherrypicking small markets like Finland, Czech or Slovakia.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Yep c is best. A woul kill lev and slovan chances of getting good quality home players as they would go to russian clubs. Medvescak would b safe in that department lol

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Voted for option 'c'.

I think that the clubs and the league will benefit more with 2 extra foreign players (current limit now is 5 not 6?) from all markets than from cherrypicking small markets like Finland, Czech or Slovakia.

yes, now it is 5. If I know only Loko and Admiral can have 7 (or 6?).

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
I picked C

But half seems to have voted for A- can anyone who did so ,explain their point of view?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
7 foreigners and no guaranteed youth (bench) players spots.

ficohok*

Yep c is best. A woul kill lev and slovan chances of getting good quality home players as they would go to russian clubs. Medvescak would b safe in that department lol

Do you realize what you did write it ? Lev and Slovan doesn't have limits on foreginers...

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I voted A, I think it would help make the league less Russian, which if the KHL hopes to become Europe's Elite league, it will need to do. Why not remove all nationality restrictions? The KHL shouldn't be focused on developing talent, just attracting it.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Do you realize what you did write it ? Lev and Slovan doesn't have limits on foreginers...

They do in form of ammount of home playera in the team which is bigger tham medvescaks. Listen to the aaron fox interview postrd under medvescak thread.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
I voted A, I think it would help make the league less Russian, which if the KHL hopes to become Europe's Elite league, it will need to do. Why not remove all nationality restrictions? The KHL shouldn't be focused on developing talent, just attracting it.

I also voted A, and agree with what Flukeshot said.

And I don't think it's a problem that some clubs will take the best players from other clubs. It's like this in every league in every sport in the world, the richest clubs everywhere get's the best players. Only drafts and players rights can regulate this a bit.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There are 2 main reasons for limit of foreigners

1) KHL wants to give opportunity to young russian players.
2) There is not market of high quality players, NHL blocks many good prospects in AHL/CHL.

But yes, I want no restrictions in KHL, which will happen some day.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Would A by any chance increase the possibility of a Swedish club in the league? I mean, it would open the doors for more Swedish players in the KHL.

The main reason I voted A - it basically removes foreigner limits at all - apart from Zagreb, who isn't affected by this anyway, I doubt any club will be having problems remaining within the limit, as they could sign any Finn, Czech, Slovak, Latvian etc. It would mean way more foreigners in the league -> less overpaid Russians in Russian clubs, less overpaid foreigners, increased competitiveness, and a higher possibility of KHL becoming stronger.

Still, I think, if A would go true (somehow I don't think it's going to happen), KHL should implement way stricter salary caps (smaller at first, no 'Kovalchuk exemptions' etc.) so that the distance between rich and poor clubs wouldn't grow much bigger.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Would A by any chance increase the possibility of a Swedish club in the league? I mean, it would open the doors for more Swedish players in the KHL.

The main reason I voted A - it basically removes foreigner limits at all - apart from Zagreb, who isn't affected by this anyway, I doubt any club will be having problems remaining within the limit, as they could sign any Finn, Czech, Slovak, Latvian etc. It would mean way more foreigners in the league -> less overpaid Russians in Russian clubs, less overpaid foreigners, increased competitiveness, and a higher possibility of KHL becoming stronger.

Still, I think, if A would go true (somehow I don't think it's going to happen), KHL should implement way stricter salary caps (smaller at first, no 'Kovalchuk exemptions' etc.) so that the distance between rich and poor clubs wouldn't grow much bigger.

Actaully that would decrease it, since that would open the possibility of more Swedes getting poached from SHL which would dilute the league and make it an inferior development environment for players(same in Finland). If the KHL would like to continue getting players from those leagues, they would not be of the same quality in the future.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I belive that if you could have any player nationality from the league it would destroy 3 things
1. that the teams would have less their national composition, which is important for the fans to feel more connected
2. they would most probably loose the specific style of play that each hockey country cultivates and bring their players up in, and this is the treasure of KHL vs NHL where style is very similar
3. development of hockey in that country wouldnt be promoted that well, which is what KHL needs to grow and get more money eventually.

Medvescak would be the exception in these goles for obvious reasons. but it is something to work to get, a goal.

Domenica

I was thinking about Lauris Darzins who was put on waivers because he took up the valuable foreigner spot as a Latvian in a Russian club (at least that's the explanation Traktor gave).

If option A happens, would there still be a limit on foreigners from non-KHL countries? I think a player shouldn't be punished or rewarded for their nationality.

But not having some kind of regulation would undermine the development of home-grown talent.

Hockeyfan31*

A is better for league in long term to increase quality, but B/C gives more chance for foreign teams to compete. I kind of went with A

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I was thinking about Lauris Darzins who was put on waivers because he took up the valuable foreigner spot as a Latvian in a Russian club (at least that's the explanation Traktor gave).

If option A happens, would there still be a limit on foreigners from non-KHL countries? I think a player shouldn't be punished or rewarded for their nationality.

But not having some kind of regulation would undermine the development of home-grown talent.

yes, there would be limit of 5 (or more?) players from non-KHL countries. All limits are and will be only for russian based clubs.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
i voted C.

i think it´s to early for A until all target-countries(sweden, swiss, germany) joins KHL. then KHL could remove restriction for all european/asian players for russian clubs, because restrict slovenian/danish/japanies/korean players doesn´t make sence. They are not going to flood KHL. it would be a kind of NA-player restriction.

in further future all foreigner-restrictions should be removed.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

This is a good point, they should have waited until after the Swedish team joined to announce this :naughty:

There is 0% chance anyone in the Swedish Federation will be happy about this... Seems like a tactical slip up by the KHL to announce this when they are seemingly attempting to pursue a Swedish team.

For the KHL A is best method.

Theoretically it is"unlimited foreigner rule" because the only other nations of concern would be CAN, US, SWE. It is highly unlikely in addition to other players currently deemed foreigners, that a team would elect to use 5 NA or SWE players.

... And if they wanted to, NA players would be smart to play for Zagreb for 4 years, get the passport, then not have to worry about foreign restriction... BTW, This would mean Kevin Dallman is no longer a foreigner in the league? If so, then this will further increase the amount of NA across the KHL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
you are right malkinfan, that might be a tactic.. the same was done in SM-Liiga... why did finns agree with Jokerit to KHL? Becase so many Finns in KHL and other have had out clauses... the same might happen in Sweden, who knows?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
... And if they wanted to, NA players would be smart to play for Zagreb for 4 years, get the passport, then not have to worry about foreign restriction... BTW, This would mean Kevin Dallman is no longer a foreigner in the league? If so, then this will further increase the amount of NA across the KHL.

2 years (24 months in the club) is enough to get the passport and nationality (and play for the NT). 4 years is if the player played for another NT in any competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad