GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Toronto Maple Lous: Elf Edition

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
0-5-1 against bottom-5 teams is inexcusable.

Especially when we're beating top teams at the decent clip we are. That's got to change is this team wants to remain somewhat relevant.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Palmeri must not like shootouts, that's the only logical explanation for why he doesn't go in them.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
No Henrique for half of the game and giving up near 40 shots, I'll take the point. I feel so bad for Stemp, he's missed his last 3 shootout attempts and they all very easily could have gone in.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
I'm thinking it doesn't really matter this team is going nowhere....all that's going to come out of this is a bad draft pick.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Schlemko over a guy who has 12 goals this year was an...odd decision. Unless Palmieri sucks at shootouts like Rico does.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we have to play without Henrique and Zajac, say hello to your second like center.

Jacob Josefson.

Just offensively sucks except for shoot outs nightly.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I'm thinking it doesn't really matter this team is going nowhere....all that's going to come out of this is a bad draft pick.

Oh stop, even if we are drafting in the 12-15 range we can still get a great player should they develop right. There's plenty of season left and the Devils certainly have a good shot at getting a WC spot, just have to hope Zajac and Henrique don't miss a lot of time.

The Devils were never going to be a bottom 5 team who had a shot at Matthews so I don't see the big deal. Good players exist after the top 10 picks( Palmieri for example was drafted 26th) so calm down with the whole draft position talk.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh stop, even if we are drafting in the 12-15 range we can still get a great player should they develop right. There's plenty of season left and the Devils certainly have a good shot at getting a WC spot, just have to hope Zajac and Henrique don't miss a lot of time.

Now that red rooster face is gone, I'm confident we can pick a pretty good player at that spot. And not another Josefson or Tedenbust, or whatever other trash he brought us. Matteau isn't looking very great right now, and he doesn't get the chances that trash like Josefson constantly gets.

Screw tanking. I'll be more mad that we squandered points to all this loser trash.

I want a real 3rd line next year too, 3rd line is a tire fire and the only goal produced by it was the softest goal we scored all season and only the goal scorer registered a frickin point on it.

I also want Josefson permanently planted to the 4th line or to wave goodbye.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schlemko over a guy who has 12 goals this year was an...odd decision. Unless Palmieri sucks at shootouts like Rico does.

I screamed out loud, then I saw 2 for 3 career and felt a little bit better.

After Palmieri though, it would have been a bingo ball machine to decide who to use next.

Kalinin could be a good choice, he has serious trouble finishing though.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Just got to hope we can do well against Detroit and the Islanders to stay in the playoff mix. Those should be hard games, especially if we are missing Zajac and/or Rico, but the team is going to have its resiliency tested again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just keep Elias out of the shootout as long as possible, or at least not until after you try Palmieri. I'd also try Zajac before him if we had him at our availability, possibly even Ruutu as well.

I think he was good last year, had 2 goals on 4 tries or possibly 3 on 5? Even with those, he's been bad the last 3 years. I do remember him having 2 in the lockout season. He shot in a majority of the ones in 13-14 and didn't score. Never lifted the puck.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I screamed out loud, then I saw 2 for 3 career and felt a little bit better.

After Palmieri though, it would have been a bingo ball machine to decide who to use next.

Kalinin could be a good choice, he has serious trouble finishing though.

So does Josefson but he turns into the best finisher in the shootout :laugh:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Elias was terrible tonight. I don't get why he continues to do fancy behind the back passes. Patty, the players are really quick these days!

I'm one of the drivers of the Josefson bandwagon, but I'm done. Why the **** can't he shoot? What happened to the guy in the preseason who seemed to have discovered his offensive skill? He's been god awful in the faceoff circle (4 of 16 tonight to go along with the 2 of 15 the other night). He is an NHL player, but a perma-4th liner.

FFS can the O'Neill experiment end? He's invisible and soft. The game is too fast for him.

Kalinin is back to the garbage we saw earlier in the year. I'll be patient because it's only his 30th NHL game or something.

kiwidevil

I don't know why everyone gets so tied up about shootout choices. If someone was an obvious choice they would use them. Most of the time it's just luck when most shooters don't have a great % anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No Henrique for half of the game and giving up near 40 shots, I'll take the point.

Thing is I've seen this posted a number of times but they were HORRIBLE in the first part of the game before Henrique ever got hurt. I can't excuse them on that even if they lucked out 'again' to get a point the way they did against Philly last week when they didn't deserve one point then either.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I can't quote because of the problems with the board tonight, but to answer RG's question on Josefson's value.

It isn't much if he loses his shootout ability. Of course he does other things well, but they're more replaceable than the shootout ability.

I'm already annoyed up to my roof with him. The bottom 6 is filled with cream of crap offensive talent, but he should really be the most talented offensive player down there. We didn't have to use a first round pick on any of the other guys. None of them are even first round picks, a lot of them aren't even NHL drafted players at all.

Should have beat the trash Leafs in regulation. Another lousy start that started earlier than Henrique's departure from the game.

That was sorta my point - if he loses his only offensive trait of being good in the shootout - he is just a placeholder otherwise. I don't consider him that good at defense or Pk duty really so he is just eating minutes. I'd rather experiment with someone else at this point. Actually I'd still rather experiment even if he's a lock in the shootout because that only comes into play 20% of the time vs. your contributions 100% of the time during regulation play.

Lots of bottom 6 issues yet again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad