GDT: New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders 2:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i don’t think anyone wants any of lou’s muscle bound f*** around gang. but keeping bastian would have been nice

ah yes, love that expression……muscle bound

its LL Cool J ……

"ahhhhhhhhhhhhh…..nobody rapper can rap quite like i can i take a muscle bound man and put his face in the sand……not the last mafioso im an MC cop…make you say 'go LL' and do the wop…..if you think you can out rhyme me ya boy i bet cause i aint met a motherf***er that can do that yet…………..

love this album

Last edited:

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
It's very easy for an enforcer after his career is over to embrace the role that he had and talk about how afraid he was of the other guys out there. It's a form of mutual respect, now that the battles are over, that each guy was just trying to do his job. And I do believe that they were all afraid of each other, it's very dangerous stuff, I'm sure they all saw e.g. Todd Fedoruk hit his head on the ice. I just do not believe that in the moment, it stops players from throwing body checks or cheap hits. It is an incredibly fast game and guys are making split-second decisions, and for players who are put out there for pugilism, they understand their role. Again, I just heard how Scott Stevens stopped people from doing stuff, and I'm sure there's hundreds of players who would admit that they were afraid of Stevens, who would praise his physical play, but who knew that their job was to f*** with the other team and Scott Stevens wasn't going to stop them. I watched hockey in that era, and I don't remember any shortage of cheap plays against the Devils.

I watched Devils hockey since 1984 and the difference in the way the team was treated in the 1980 and 2010s is a whole new world compared to treatment in the 1990s and 2000s. There were consequences in the 1990s and 2000s, and we never saw BS go unchallenged. Not so much nowadays.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I watched Devils hockey since 1984 and the difference in the way the team was treated in the 1980 and 2010s is a whole new world compared to treatment in the 1990s and 2000s. There were consequences in the 1990s and 2000s, and we never saw BS go unchallenged. Not so much nowadays.

This is 'Mussolini made the trains run on time' stuff. Yeah, the Devils won a lot of games. Sometimes BS went unchallenged, sometimes it didn't, but hey those teams were great, so they must've also been great at settling scores.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I love him too, but for how tall he is he really isn’t much of a fighter.

He’s not a fighter but he definitely helped keep people honest. I was kindve joking but this young team is going to have to learn how to stick up for each other. Our 25ish year olds are now the grissled vets.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
giving their star player a love tap in response isn’t crazy, would have liked to see that. hopefully it’s nothing but if it’s worse than that we play them the last game before the season starts and i don’t think we should take it easy on their guy

I wouldn't be surprised if they just keep barzal out. :rolleyes:

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Cory let in two bad goals (customary these days) and one completely embarrassing goal. He doesn’t belong on an NHL roster anymore. Something I pumped in 2018 and caught a lot of shit for.

Not even the Islanders would give him a single start or relief appearance last year, when every other team was using three goalies. Not even when they had a playoff spot locked up.

No arguments from me, I just think you should at least score 2 before you start blaming your goalie for the loss.

It's a shame about Cory, he's such a nice guy and has been through a lot (on and off ice). But he's made a lot of money and at one point was one of the top goalies in the world, something that very few have done.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Most people feel safer riding in a car than flying on a plane even though flying is statistically far safer than driving. This belief in enforcers is ingrained in the game for the last 40 years, but there's 2 referees and 2 linesmen and cameras all over the rink. The league catches the stuff away from the play, they don't do a great job, but they do a much better job than 20+ years ago. Players are generally safer now and most teams do not have enforcers. How did that happen?

After your playing career is done, it becomes okay to express thoughts about the fears you had a player, but I don't believe these fears really stopped people from doing in the moment stuff.
where do you get your stats from? I dont want to start a war, but I see you putting down EVERY poster in here like they're stupid, you've got so much to learn still

Reactions: Saucerhead Tharpe

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
where do you get your stats from? I dont want to start a war, but I see you putting down EVERY poster in here like they're stupid, you've got so much to learn still

I’m always shocked and appalled when posters act smarter than everyone else when they know I post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany