GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Montreal Canadiens - 7:15pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If the game says it’s a 7:15 start, I’m gonna assume the puck drop is something like 7:22-7:25. Probably closer to 7:25 with two anthems.

Because when the game starts at 7:00 the puck drop isn’t until 7:07-7:08

This shit is whacky. The question that has been asked 10 trillion times already. Why is this happening on a Tuesday and not a Saturday?
Because it’s a gimmick for ESPN to counter program NBA night 1 (on TNT) and and Game 7 on TBS. ESPN airs college football on Saturdays and needed something to fill time on ESPN and ESPN2 tonight (they have done something similar with college basketball in past years with doing 24hr college basketball days to fill time). It a way to gimmick it up vs a regular Tuesday and may be juice a couple of extra 100k viewers.

It is also ESPN’s last regular night of coverage until like January.

The answer to any odd NHL scheduling is usually television. Pretty much all of the NHL’s events serves as a counter program. The Winter Classic only exist because back in the day NBC lost the rights to the Gator Bowl and needed to fill that time. The Stadium Series exist to counter program NBA All Star Weekend and Daytona 500 (and has stayed through the rights change as ESPN doesn’t have other content for that weekend as NBA ASG is on TNT).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you're a Devil fan you definitely should have some admiration for Montreal...

So many guys from the 86 Canadiens ended up in New Jersey.

Richer
Lemiuex
Tom Kurvers
Dave Maley
Steve Rooney

As coaches later
Chris Nilan
Larry Robinson
Jacques Laperriere was an assistant for the 1986 team as well.

Last edited:

Camille the Eel

Actually I don't mind the Habs, I have a bit of a soft spot for them as they are my hometown team.

Don't ban me please.
It’s a shame they are so poorly managed. The failure to draft the super gifted Russian kid who practically fell in their lap in this last draft was inexplicable.

Montreal to me is the essential Canadian franchise and as to the NHL in general, with their history there, it’s the storied “Big Room” for NHL hockey. There’s no bigger stage in the NHL. It shouldn’t be hard for us to get up for this game, especially so early in the season and with the Habs playing well.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Remember the times we had Marty start there and it was basically the biggest lock win of the year? Good times. And yeah, no f***ing excuses to lose tonight

.686 pts% in games vs them .....easy money

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 3.38.45 PM.png

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually I don't mind the Habs, I have a bit of a soft spot for them as they are my hometown team.

Don't ban me please.
IMG_1794.jpeg

MTL are one of the most exciting teams in the league right now. Very fast, young and skilled. And off to an outstanding 3-1-1 start. The NJD will suffer for them taking Slaf at 1OA instead of bust Wright. Not that FitzCastron could have been trusted to take Slaf, I’m pretty sure they would have taken Nemec anyway.

Nothing wrong with not minding the Habs. Tonight will be a tough test for the NJD.

5-2 Habs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It’s a shame they are so poorly managed. The failure to draft the super gifted Russian kid who practically fell in their lap in this last draft was inexplicable.

Montreal to me is the essential Canadian franchise and as to the NHL in general, with their history there, it’s the storied “Big Room” for NHL hockey. There’s no bigger stage in the NHL. It shouldn’t be hard for us to get up for this game, especially so early in the season and with the Habs playing well.
I"m not sure I'd want to use my #5 overall on guy who is signed with the KHL for another 3 years? There is a lot of risk associated with that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How about Saturday? Or are they really not doing it that day because of college football?

ESPN has the rights to college football which I can only imagine draws decent ratings even for uncompelling matchups.

At least for this Saturday:

ESPN: South Carolina@Texas A&M (12pm EST), Duke@Louisville (3:30pm), Tennessee@Kentucky (7pm), Oregon State@Arizona (10:30pm)

ESPN2: Houston@Kansas State (12pm), Tulane@Rice (4pm), Cincinnati@Oklahoma State (8pm)

If the Frozen Frenzy gets decent feedback/ratings, I could see them targeting an NHL Saturday after football season.

Camille the Eel

I"m not sure I'd want to use my #5 overall on guy who is signed with the KHL for another 3 years? There is a lot of risk associated with that.
That was the argument at the time I guess. From that standpoint passing on him wasn’t “inexplicable” but there apparently were people who rated him as highly as they did Bedard, or in the same class anyway. I remember reading he would have been the most highly rated kid gotten by the Habs since they acquired Yvan Cournoyer.

(n.b., but the Celtics only waited 18 months for Larry Bird).

Reactions: JimEIV

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Don't ban me please.

I'm putting you on my imaginary ignore list too, joining @Number6 who achieved this for putting me on his ignore list too, joining you, when you achived this for dont minding the Habs. Same for me.
Did you know that early Maiden made tonns of defectives on live?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
ESPN has the rights to college football which I can only imagine draws decent ratings even for uncompelling matchups.

At least for this Saturday:

ESPN: South Carolina@Texas A&M (12pm EST), Duke@Louisville (3:30pm), Tennessee@Kentucky (7pm), Oregon State@Arizona (10:30pm)

ESPN2: Houston@Kansas State (12pm), Tulane@Rice (4pm), Cincinnati@Oklahoma State (8pm)

If the Frozen Frenzy gets decent feedback/ratings, I could see them targeting an NHL Saturday after football season.
The worst college football game gets higher ratings than NHL regular season games. Those ESPN / ESPN2 slots probably get about 1-2 million viewers for college football (with the prime slots on Fox/CBS/ABC getting up to 4x more). Top NHL regular season game tops out at about 600k.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

I have to think that the only reason why Montreal didn’t draft Michkov is because they thought he wouldn’t want to play in Montreal?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Imagine just having a private conversation with your friends and some wanker sneaking around takes your picture and puts on twitter like it's a news story?
The lack of privacy has to be one of the biggest "downfalls" of being an athlete or a celebrity. Cant go anywhere "normal".

Reactions: JimEIV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad