Proposal: New Jersey - Chicago

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
A couple of proposals between New Jersey and Chicago:

To NJ: Chicago’s 2020 1st Round Pick, Olli Maatta, Zack Smith
To CHI: Vancouver’s 2020 conditional 1st Round Pick

This assumes Chicago loses the play in and doesn’t win the lottery.

Why for CHI: Frees up cap space in order to sign Strome, Kubalik and a no.1 goalie next season. If Vancouver’s pick remains projected to be pick 17, then the slide down the draft in the first round is only 8 picks.

Why for NJ: Uses their available cap space to upgrade Vancouver’s pick to another top 10 selection, in the upcoming draft. The top 12 of this draft is special and it would be appealing for NJ to potentially walk away with three top 10 /11 picks (depending on where the Arizona pick ends up).

To NJ: Alex Nylander
To CHI: Jesper Boqvist

Why for CHI: Reunite Jesper with his brother Adam. Jesper also has top 6 forward potential like Alex Nylander.

Why for NJ: Reunite Alex with his former Mississauga super buddies team mates Mikey McLeod and Nate Bastian. They had excellent chemistry in juniors on the same line and NJ wants to see if they can replicate that in NHL.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Chicago needs to sweeten the first one for me a little bit. That’s over 7 million in cap next year and 4.1 million in cap the year after that for the devils to move up 8 spaces. Not a lot but a little, maybe like a 3rd or something. The second one is a HUGE no for me. The fact that Nylander has chemistry with AHL fodder creates no desire for me to trade Boqvist.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
no it’s not.
The hawks can buyout maata and it saves them 3.25 mill

and could easily move Smith with 33%-50% retention.

and Nylander for Boqvist is just bad.

I was just referring to the first trade. Moving down 8 spots to save 7ish millions and having the necessary cap space to sign Strome is a good deal for Chicago.

Reactions: StonebeatsMcdavid

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Too many moving parts in the first one for it to really make sense for Chicago. Chi should just keep that pick, there will be some really good players in that range and they can add to an already pretty good pool of young players.

StonebeatsMcdavid

Jul 3, 2020
no it’s not.
The hawks can buyout maata and it saves them 3.25 mill

and could easily move Smith with 33%-50% retention.

and Nylander for Boqvist is just bad.

I don’t know, I like the first one, probably not the second one.

the Hawks are gonna get a worse draft pick if they end up beating the Oilers which I think is what most fans want. It would be basically putting them in the same situation as far as draft spots while also getting rid of two expensive players that can be replaced for cheaper

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
I was just referring to the first trade. Moving down 8 spots to save 7ish millions and having the necessary cap space to sign Strome is a good deal for Chicago.

again no it’s not. It would if it were say for seabrook in a year after his bonus is paid.

Then it’s (11.5mill in cash for 3 years)

but giving up a mid 1st round pick for what is essentially maybe one year of cap relief (because they likely cannot buyout smith) is horrendously stupid especially when retaining 50% is really only 1.625 mil)

Buying out maatta, correction; saves the hawks 3.4 mill.

Last edited:

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
again no it’s not. It would if it were say for seabrook in a year after his bonus is paid.

Then it’s (11.5mill in cash for 3 years)

but giving up a mid 1st round pick for what is essentially maybe one year of cap relief (because they likely cannot buyout smith) is horrendously stupid especially when retaining 50% is really only 1.625 mil)

Buying out maatta, correction; saves the hawks 3.4 mill.
Did you miss the part where you get a mid 1st round pick back or?

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
You're not getting a 4th for a 4th liner like Smith.

Maybe for a 5th-7th sure.

Fine whatever. Still thousand times better than giving up a first for a guy they can buyout for less than the league minimum and a guy who saves less than 2 mill in cap if you retain 50%

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Fine whatever. Still thousand times better than giving up a first for a guy they can buyout for less than the league minimum and a guy who saves less than 2 mill in cap if you retain 50%
There's question about Maatta's buyout. It supposedly doubles after he turns 26 which would make it
~1.3 M over the four year span. He turns 26 on 8/22.

In that case, I'd rather retain 50% than tie up cap past the expiration of his contract.

I think trading Smith and Maatta at 50% is better than buying either out because they actually have value at those cap hits.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Did you miss the part where you get a mid 1st round pick back or?

So, oh great let’s move down a bunch of spots and get a guy further down the board to save 1.625mill in cap space. They can use that 1.625 mill to sign I don’t know slater koekkoek who won’t likely make the team anyway

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
So, oh great let’s move down a bunch of spots and get a guy further down the board to save 1.625mill in cap space. They can use that 1.625 mill to sign I don’t know slater koekkoek who won’t likely make the team anyway
I’m assuming you’re not very good at math because you save 7 mil in cap... and you move down 8 spots....

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
I’m assuming you’re not very good at math because you save 7 mil in cap... and you move down 8 spots....

again the hawks essentially save 2.325 in cap because they wouldn’t buy out maata or retain on smith for one season. To move 8 spots.

again not worth it.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Pass on both as a Chicago fan. As others have said, Maatta can be bought out or traded to minimize his cap hit pretty easily. Smith could be moved in a smaller deal. Not worth trading that far back.

The second one isn’t appealing to me at all, personally. Boqvist is a nice prospect, but he’s not significantly younger than Nylander, who has shown the ability to contribute at the NHL level and the potential to do so at a fairly high level. I wouldn’t make that move just because we have Jesper’s brother.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Where are you getting buyout or retaining from
Could be wrong, but I think he’s saying that this deal really only saves an additional 2.3 in cap because the Hawks can clear most of that cap by buying out Maatta and trading Smith @ 50% for relatively no cost. That additional savings would be nice to have, but it’s not worth moving back that far.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Where are you getting buyout or retaining from

I’m looking at benefit from the hawks end not the devils end.

the benefit for the hawks would essentially be not retaining on smith (at 50% aka 1.625 mill) and not buying out maatta (700k).

they are probably not real contenders next year so moving 8 picks down to save essentially 2.325 mil in space for one season where in they are not contenders anyways is ******* stupid

Reactions: thesaadfather

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Could be wrong, but I think he’s saying that this deal really only saves an additional 2.3 in cap because the Hawks can clear most of that cap by buying out Maatta and trading Smith @ 50% for relatively no cost. That additional savings would be nice to have, but it’s not worth moving back that far.

Indeed

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Chicago needs to sweeten the first one for me a little bit. That’s over 7 million in cap next year and 4.1 million in cap the year after that for the devils to move up 8 spaces. Not a lot but a little, maybe like a 3rd or something. The second one is a HUGE no for me. The fact that Nylander has chemistry with AHL fodder creates no desire for me to trade Boqvist.

This is why I don't like the deal at all. There's a good chance that adding 7 million in cap is a good chunk of everything we do next season in terms of adding, and we are going to do that to move up from 17 to 9? No...there are much better ways to spend 7 million in cap availability in my opinion. I'd rather set that money aside to try and poach ascending RFAs, or just solid, young players that teams can no longer afford.

Plus, as others have said, we can probably sign Maatta later when he's bought out lol.

So financially, and with regards to team building, I simply don't think that it's a great idea from the Devils end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad