New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
It really was only goaltending. EDM has always, always been incredible 5 on 5. Their 5 on 5 play hasnt gotten much better under the new coach.

EDM to start the year with Woodcroft had horrific goaltending and their all work PP was at like 17% for Woodcroft. Thats it really, everything else was pretty good lol
I read somewhere that their weakness was rush/counter attacks and the way they defended those. It sounds pretty similar to Ruff's system. Of course, otherwise Ruff's and Woodcroft's systems aren't similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is certainly the pessimistic way to view things.

I have no problem with them taking their time. There is no need to rush the decision. It could be related to Woodcroft currently coaching at the Worlds. It could be that they’re waiting to see if Keefe wants to coach or not. And either of those could impact the final decision.

I’m not worried. It’s a major decision for Fitz and his tenure.
I'm not gonna worry until their two supposedly leading candidates both take other jobs or bow out of this one...then that'd be a serious red flag, considering we do have the most attractive open job on paper. Until then I think we're kinda holding up the coaching market anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I may be in the weeds, but I can’t help to feel, that this long search has less to do with “due diligence” and its more an issue with the group think (management).

In my estimation, that’s also why the media has had trouble predicting led candidates. Some have even gone on to say that management is split on various coaches.

I think it’s a bad look for the organization. In theory, the Devils should be a top coaching destination, but you have a meddlesome management/ownership group. Now they look indecisive.

'We' can't really agree on a consensus. I suspect if you took a board poll before Berube came off the board and not counting the Brindy or Sullivan pipedreams it would probably be a 40-30-20-10 (other) split in voting between Berube, Keefe and Woodcroft but I couldn't tell you who'd get the 40 or the 30.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was internal debate in the room too since there's definitely been debate here with no sure thing, but in the end Fitz has to make that call and he has to get it right.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I may be in the weeds, but I can’t help to feel, that this long search has less to do with “due diligence” and its more an issue with the group think (management).

In my estimation, that’s also why the media has had trouble predicting led candidates. Some have even gone on to say that management is split on various coaches.

I think it’s a bad look for the organization. In theory, the Devils should be a top coaching destination, but you have a meddlesome management/ownership group. Now they look indecisive.

I'm fairly sure that Elliott did say something similar on either Marek or 32 thoughts in the last week or so, but I don't want to look too deep into it because there's really not a ton of info

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
1716137241396.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wow, a 5 year contract for Rod. After that lackluster playoff performance.

I highly doubt that will age well for the Canes organization. Reminds me of the contract that Sullivan got for himself earlier.

He's already been with the club for a long time and I'm pretty sure his expiration date / tune-out date is approaching with the current core.
I think Brind’Amour’s problems are going to have more to do with hockey’s version of Jerry Jones screwing up that roster. All those contracts are up and apparently the team doesn’t want to keep Necas? If you don’t want to pay him fine but why leak that? Let’s see what they do on defense letting so many guys get to UFA.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I'm not gonna worry until their two supposedly leading candidates both take other jobs or bow out of this one...then that'd be a serious red flag, considering we do have the most attractive open job on paper. Until then I think we're kinda holding up the coaching market anyway.

Or someone like Todd McLellan wins out of the blue.

I ended up liking Ruff (as a person), but his coaching tenure was well….Rough 😉.

Yes, the guys progressed under Lindy, but how much credit goes to him or natural progression. 3 out of 4 seasons were terrible.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think it’s pretty clear that keefe is their number one option

My other problem with that, Keefe has told the media he would coach again next season. If it is Keefe, and he is struggling to come here F*€k H!M.

I hope it’s Woodcroft and they are waiting until he is available. If they waiting on Keefe that makes the organization look desperate.

Reactions: My3Sons

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
My other problem with that, Keefe has told the media he would coach again next season. If it is Keefe, and he is struggling to come here F*€k H!M.

I hope it’s Woodcroft and they are waiting until he is available. If they waiting on Keefe that makes the organization look desperate.

That's a little dramatic. He literally just got let go. Not sure how you can use it as a knock against someone to just want a moment to breath.

They don't have a coach and are trying to figure out the best one for the team, they are desperate. As they should be.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Wow, a 5 year contract for Rod. After that lackluster playoff performance.

I highly doubt that will age well for the Canes organization. Reminds me of the contract that Sullivan got for himself earlier.

He's already been with the club for a long time and I'm pretty sure his expiration date / tune-out date is approaching with the current core.
They have quite nice young talents in the prospect pool, but they need some time to adapt and start to feel comfortable. So I think its reasonable to make little but step back, may be even stay in play off hunt but not being contender, develop guys in NHL environment and start to make another push. So 5 years span looks reasonable. Brindamoor is a good coach, they will not find better options easy.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
They have quite nice young talents in the prospect pool, but they need some time to adapt and start to feel comfortable. So I think its reasonable to make little but step back, may be even stay in play off hunt but not being contender, develop guys in NHL environment and start to make another push. So 5 years span looks reasonable. Brindamoor is a good coach, they will not find better options easy.
There’s no reason necas should walk but Carolina is going to let him. They do the same shit every year

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There’s no reason necas should walk but Carolina is going to let him. They do the same shit every year
There are some players they will let go. But still they have Nikishin, Nadeau, Morrow, Grudinin, Lucius, Blake etc some other guys who has talent to pan out later. I dont think they are in troubles in the longer picture.

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, I think McLellan is the fall back option after Keefe and Woodcroft. For better or worse.

He won’t go back to San Jose and LA obviously, so that just leaves Seattle, Winnipeg and us. If we somehow miss out on the other two, I feel he’s the “safe” option. I don’t see it actually playing out that way though.

My3Sons

Sponsor
There are some players they will let go. But still they have Nikishin, Nadeau, Morrow, Grudinin, Lucius, Blake etc some other guys who has talent to pan out later. I dont think they are in troubles in the longer picture.
I am skeptical that group rounds into the cohesive unit the Canes have run for the past few years - especially on defense. Maybe they get goaltending to make up for it but I struggle to see Brind’Amour last five years if they let their current core start to turn over.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I am skeptical that group rounds into the cohesive unit the Canes have run for the past few years - especially on defense. Maybe they get goaltending to make up for it but I struggle to see Brind’Amour last five years if they let their current core start to turn over.
Nikishin was the best defenseman outside NHL for 2-3 years already. Morrow is solid puckmover. Grudinin is already playing 18-20 min in KHL regularly as 20 yo, but Im not so sure not in the positive or negative way. Still quite solid defensive prospects. So they should just save Slavin and at least one of Chatfield or Skjei(they have money for two out of Slavin, Skjei, Peshe and Chatfield) and they will have quite solid defense with Morrow and Nikishin for the next five years.May be quite raw for a couple of years, but Devils had very raw defense this year. Step back. Its not like we are very scary about future years.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Nikishin was the best defenseman outside NHL for 2-3 years already. Morrow is solid puckmover. Grudinin is already playing 18-20 min in KHL regularly as 20 yo, but Im not so sure not in the positive or negative way. Still quite solid defensive prospects. So they should just save Slavin and at least one of Chatfield or Skjei(they have money for two out of Slavin, Skjei, Peshe and Chatfield) and they will have quite solid defense with Morrow and Nikishin for the next five years.May be quite raw for a couple of years, but Devils had very raw defense this year. Step back. Its not like we are very scary about future years.
Nikishin I agree but I’m not sure about the other defense prospects. We will see. They also don’t seem to be doing themselves any favors if they let Necas go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad