New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Thats not the goal though. Getting in with sheldon queef and getting outcoached in the first round in not what we need

You don't go from rebuilding team to cup champ. Thats not how it works.

There's a reason why I've been wanting this team to get into the playoffs consistently. It's gunna take time and experience to get that cup. It won't happen year 1 of making the playoffs (although technically 2 since they made the playoffs once).

Say in 3-4 years, they are at a stage where they make the playoffs consistently but can't get past the 2nd or 3rd round, that's when you switch coach to someone more suitable if needed, but that'd still be progress because the team at that point will know what the playoffs are like, will hopefully have good system play ingrained into them (Keefe is supposedly good at this aspect).

Again, expecting them to just win the Cup in the next playoff run is naive and super unrealistic.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah I’m going in opposite direction with berube and keefe. Before he had that one Stanley cup winning year where he came in mid-season, berube had a HC stint with the flyers and did pretty much nothing of special note with them. And he’s done nothing special in the years since the Stanley cup win either. Seems like a lightning in a bottle situation more than anything specific he does really well.

This team does need more accountability but they also need structure. The latter can help with the former but the former is useless if the coach isn’t good at instituting the latter.

I do think having good structure / fundamentals drilled into them will help a lot with accountability. Not 100% but it should help. It's probably hard to stay disciplined and stay focused on the details when the details is 50000000000 different possibilities and an unorganized mess.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada

There's a reason why I've been wanting this team to get into the playoffs consistently. It's gunna take time and experience to get that cup. It won't happen year 1 of making the playoffs (although technically 2 since they made the playoffs once).

Say in 3-4 years, they are at a stage where they make the playoffs consistently but can't get past the 2nd or 3rd round, that's when you switch coach to someone more suitable if needed, but that'd still be progress because the team at that point will know what the playoffs are like, will hopefully have good system play ingrained into them (Keefe is supposedly good at this aspect).

Again, expecting them to just win the Cup in the next playoff run is naive and super unrealistic.
So advocating hiring another throwaway coach? Great idea

• Haha
Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Yeah I'm not wanting to get too far ahead when we haven't proven to be a consistent playoff team yet.

Keefe gets his team to the postseason which is absolutely a big start.

It's really on Fitz to make sure the roster has those playoff type guys when it's type to switch to playoff hockey.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So advocating hiring another throwaway coach? Great idea
The majority of coaches last like 3-4 years, so if you're qualifying that as a "throwaway coach", then that's most of the league outside the truly top end guys like Cooper, Brind'amour, Sullivan, etc. While I'm more hesitant about Keefe than others, the guy at least gets to the playoffs every year. Worrying about how far we get in the playoffs when we've made them twice in the last 12 years is kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Plus just because a coach doesn't win with one team doesn't mean he can't ever with another. I bet Keefe would have killed to have a defense with Hamilton, Luke, and Nemec that could get the puck to Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares. Instead he was trotting out Joel Edmundson as his #3 defenseman. Treliving seems obsessed with building a big defense instead of one that can actually move the puck. And Samsonov's playoff numbers have been garbage since going there. I think we of all people can understand how goaltending can ruin a season or series.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
If you have a young team that is expected to lose, you bring in a development coach to teach fundamentals and provide positive reinforcement (players coach)

If you have a talented team that makes a bunch of mistakes and aren't able to win easily, you bring in a tactics coach to teach them how to work together in a system and win games.

If you have a veteran team that knows what they are doing but seem to choke, you bring in a disciplinarian who gets to team to play consistently every game.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If you have a young team that is expected to lose, you bring in a development coach to teach fundamentals and provide positive reinforcement (players coach)

If you have a talented team that makes a bunch of mistakes and aren't able to win easily, you bring in a tactics coach to teach them how to work together in a system and win games.

If you have a veteran team that knows what they are doing but seem to choke, you bring in a disciplinarian who gets to team to play consistently every game.

Exactly. I'd say they are in that 2nd category now. They won so many games through raw talent. That works sometimes in the reg. season but it doesn't work in the playoffs. They need to learn how to play a complete team game with structure.

I wonder how many here remember that the Leafs also lost miserably in the playoffs under Babcock? Keefe might not be the best coach out there, but I think there's an issue with that team's roster in general that contributes to their playoff failures.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I think I would prefer Keefe, but will be fine with Woodcroft.

Think there is a strong argument to be made that he shouldn't have been fired when he was
Tbh I settled in on those two and I’ll be disappointed if it’s not one of them.

I prefer Keefe to woodcroft by a slim margin.

Hiring either is a home run

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Marner and Matthews played with Jarnkrok last year. Jarnkrok had 4 goals in 75 playoff games before coming to Toronto.

They have a forward depth problem.

And you have to get offense from your defense. Toronto relies on a slightly powered-up Severson to provide all their offense and most of their transition/puck moving from the blue-line.

It’s f***ed up man.

Reilly plays a good amount with the Tavares line too so they don’t even get him all the time. The spread the wealth approach works better in the regular season.

Edmonton’s approach to their roster ugliness is the opposite.

McDraisaitl play 28 minutes in close playoff games, cheat on defense, and always get the best defensive pair. Ekholm/Bouchard are glued to McDraisaitl.

The Oilers eventually lose when McD fail to produce enough to outscore their defensive blunders plus the atrocities being committed by Nurse/Ceci with the scrubs. So that doesn’t work either, it’s a team game.

In their 8 playoff games this year Nurse/Ceci have 3GF/9GA 5v5. (A sweet 25% GF%.)
They’re xGF% is only 34.04%, so they’ve been unlucky as well as terrible lol.
that's why you cheat on the salary cap

Reactions: My3Sons

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I just like that the Devils are finally looking in the opposite direction. I want Keefe or Woodcroft solely for their flow. We tried bald/balding coaches for how many years now? It just doesn’t work.

What do all Cup coaches have in common?

Cassidy
Bednar
Cooper
Berube

The last bald guy to win the cup was Tortz in 2018. The dude was a unicorn.

Then its Sully
Sutter
And Quenneville who is balding but he likes to rock the holding on to hope hair style.

Depending how you view Quenneville’s locks, you would need to go back to 2011 and Claud Julian.

I know you guys love analytics and win-loss records, but the fact is, in the past 15 years, bald men have struggled to win the cup.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I just like that the Devils are finally looking in the opposite direction. I want Keefe or Woodcroft solely for their flow. We tried bald/balding coaches for how many years now? It just doesn’t work.
I know you guys love analytics and win-loss records, but the fact is, in the past 15 years, bald men have struggled to win the cup.
Very interesting theory. But how about left-handed coaches?

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada

What do all Cup coaches have in common?

Cassidy
Bednar
Cooper
Berube

The last bald guy to win the cup was Tortz in 2018. The dude was a unicorn.

Then its Sully
Sutter
And Quenneville who is balding but he likes to rock the holding on to hope hair style.

Depending how you view Quenneville’s locks, you would need to go back to 2011 and Claud Julian.

Maybe run a study on fat coaches vs in shape coaches. Keefe gets fatter every year

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I have no idea how much any of these coaches value having their own assistants or how much control they want but this whole deal is going to come down to who is more amenable to Fitz's collaborative approach to coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad