New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t know how I feel about Keefe. He should have been starting Woll from game one. I start becoming very skeptical of a coach when he can’t even play the right goalie. Even John Hynes was always up on that.

But I would accept Todd McLellan at this point just because it isn’t Travis Green.

Keefe has experience with a team like ours.

I don’t blame Keefe for Toronto’s struggles over the years though.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I mean, they’ve lost the last two games in OT, and put up 57 and 47 shots the past two games. The PP is clearly an issue. They’re not getting handily outplayed by any stretch of the imagination. Shesterkin is playing out of his mind.
They lost two out of 4 to the panthers in overtime last year. If you are continually in the wrong side of overtime you can’t keep using it as a “see we are close” excuse. I watched the first overtime game 2 and they didn’t even come close to scoring. Last night didn’t even get a chance

Reactions: Camille the Eel

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
In game 7 he was

But he was dressed as the backup for games 1-4 and on the bench before Keefe put him in there for games 5 and 6.
Eh have we heard the reasoning behind playing Samsonov all 4 games? There's gotta be something there with that. Whether it's from the top or the staff felt they saw something or Woll was banged up or something.

You also solve this issue by not having a crap goaltending situation tho haha. Thus, another reason to not have a duo like Allen/Kahkonen.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eh have we heard the reasoning behind playing Samsonov all 4 games? There's gotta be something there with that. Whether it's from the top or the staff felt they saw something or Woll was banged up or something.

You also solve this issue by not having a crap goaltending situation tho haha. Thus, another reason to not have a duo like Allen/Kahkonen.
Samsonov was horrible enough to be waived in December. Then came back and had a market correction run to put the numbers back up a little bit. Then he started melting down again in the final weeks of the season. One of the games was against us.

Woll struggled a bit after coming back from injury and can’t seem to stay healthy, but I can’t understand why the began with Samsonov.

DarylO

Jun 16, 2011
Lindsay, ON
Woll was injured near the end of the season and when he came back was struggling. It made sense to go with Sammy as he was playing better at the end of the season. At least to start the series. Keefe probably took too long to change direction though.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
They lost two out of 4 to the panthers in overtime last year. If you are continually in the wrong side of overtime you can’t keep using it as a “see we are close” excuse. I watched the first overtime game 2 and they didn’t even come close to scoring. Last night didn’t even get a chance

Silly way to look at it. They’re also continually at the top of the league and don’t really have any game breaking talents.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Samsonov was horrible enough to be waived in December. Then came back and had a market correction run to put the numbers back up a little bit. Then he started melting down again in the final weeks of the season. One of the games was against us.

Woll struggled a bit after coming back from injury and can’t seem to stay healthy, but I can’t understand why the began with Samsonov.
My guess is for the exact thing that happened. Woll was hurt and they couldn't trust him to stay healthy for the entirety of the series. Gotta trust they know more than we do at some point.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Canes don't have a game breaker. We do.

I would argue they do in Aho. But by and large, I think that you can say that they are asked to play a certain way by Brind'Amour that perhaps sacrifices some offense. The way they play kind of reminds me of how DeBoer had us playing when he first arrived.

But Aho hit 89 points this past year, with two prior 80 point seasons before that. He's certainly capable of being a gamebreaker.

What's happening right now doesn't sour me on Brind'Amour personally. I think he gets quite a bit more juice out of his team than they probably warrant. And I think he could do similar with us if he did ever become available.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

Good on them!

Personally, I don’t care about NHL coaching experience or the need to recycle someone because they’ve coached in the NHL before. I just want them to find the right coach because if we’re in the same situation again in three or four years with the team not succeeding, then what’s the point?

I know this is a pipe dream, but I would love for the team to find their version of Bednar or Cooper, a coach that the team can grow with. Now I know these are unicorns who had success in other leagues before coming to the NHL and the exception not the rule, but I would love for them to find someone like that.

So I would interview anyone and everyone including David Carle, Jon Gruden, Karl Taylor, Marco Sturm And make sure to leave no stone unturned before deciding.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I don’t know how I feel about Keefe. He should have been starting Woll from game one. I start becoming very skeptical of a coach when he can’t even play the right goalie. Even John Hynes was always up on that.

But I would accept Todd McLellan at this point just because it isn’t Travis Green.

Keefe has experience with a team like ours.

I don’t blame Keefe for Toronto’s struggles over the years though.

The Devils are going to trade for a bonafide starter, the Leafs haven't had one their entire core 4 run besides Andersen and even he had his random f***ups in the playoffs. Just the nature of the beast of the position if you don't have a top 5-7 goalie.

Reactions: My3Sons

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I would argue they do in Aho. But by and large, I think that you can say that they are asked to play a certain way by Brind'Amour that sacrifices some offense.

But Aho hit 89 points this past year, with two prior 80 point seasons before that. He's certainly capable of being a gamebreaker.

What's happening right now doesn't sour me on Brind'Amour personally. I think he gets quite a bit more juice out of his team than they probably warrant. And I think he could do similar with us if he did ever become available.
I would argue you don’t stay up at night game planning for Aho like you do for a healthy Jack. I would put Aho more in the Bratt category.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils are going to trade for a bonafide starter, the Leafs haven't had one their entire core 4 run besides Andersen and even he had his random f***ups in the playoffs. Just the nature of the beast of the position if you don't have a top 5-7 goalie.
Samsonov has been bad, outside of last year. Shit goalie and was on waivers this year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I would argue you don’t stay up at night game planning for Aho like you do for a healthy Jack. I would put Aho more in the Bratt category.

I don't disagree there, but I guess that brings us to what you define as a gamebreaker.

I've always thought Aho is underrated in that regard. Not on Jack's level, no, but a player certainly capable of taking over the game with the puck on his stick.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I would argue they do in Aho. But by and large, I think that you can say that they are asked to play a certain way by Brind'Amour that perhaps sacrifices some offense. The way they play kind of reminds me of how DeBoer had us playing when he first arrived.

People will blame Rod the Bod but their players just become dumb when the playoffs come. It's worse than Toronto's guys if I'm being honest.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland

Yeah. There might be some bad blood between Devils fans and Aho from last year but I'd bet my house that he is a 100 pt scorer on most teams not named Carolina. He's had very meh supporting cast in Carolina. Not bad players, but not superstars either.

He's a game breaker but we certainly have more than one.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Yeah. There might be some bad blood between Devils fans and Aho from last year but I'd bet my house that he is a 100 pt scorer on most teams not named Carolina. He's had very meh supporting cast in Carolina. Not bad players, but not superstars either.

He's a game breaker but we certainly have more than one.
This is the first year he's ever produced above a PPG pace. I'd be hardpressed to call him a 100 point scorer tbh. This has nothing to do with him being Finnish does it. :sarcasm:

• Haha

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Svechnikov also disappears a little in the playoffs. He's been disappointing this year as well, only his 2nd goal last night. They have talent, but Rod is definitely getting more from them then you'd expect on paper.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
This is the first year he's ever produced above a PPG pace. I'd be hardpressed to call him a 100 point scorer tbh. This has nothing to do with him being Finnish does it. :sarcasm:
Other than that I know him better than I otherwise would, no. I dont really care for him as a player too much and I'm starting to blossom into a serious Canes hater after last year.

He's been 0.93 ppg pace in his career when his best teammates have been "Teuvo Teravainen" or young Necas or Svechnikov. They havent had one superstar forward there other than him.

Speaking of disgrace since this is the Devils board. He's been their their player and has produced 0.94 ppg in the playoffs and they are yet to win a game in conference finals. Thats not progress, thats disgrace. :sarcasm:

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Other than that I know him better than I otherwise would, no. I dont really care for him as a player too much and I'm starting to blossom into a serious Canes hater after last year.

He's been 0.93 ppg pace in his career when his best teammates have been "Teuvo Teravainen" or young Necas or Svechnikov. They havent had one superstar forward there other than him.

Speaking of disgrace since this is the Devils board. He's been their their player and has produced 0.94 ppg in the playoffs and they are yet to win a game in conference finals. Thats not progress, thats disgrace. :sarcasm:
Yeah, I'm just joshin' ya around about that haha. However, I'd say he is what he is. I don't necessarily think he's a 100 point guy. It's negligible, obviously because we're talking about 5-10 points here and he's a really good player. I think the 92-95 point range is what his ceiling likely is.

Reactions: FinnishDevil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad