New Head Coach search

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
My take on Toronto is Dubas lost his nerve after the Kadri/Barrie swap didn't work out, and the Nylander RFA negotiations went long into the season and he never really looked fully integrated that year and in the postseason. That allowed some other voices to take control in the FO, and it became a much more "collaborative" environment, with moves that kind of seemed schizophrenic to an outsider. Add to this the bad luck of the COVID cap growth pause and you've got this great team that seems fundamentally flawed.

Ultimately Dubas ended up in a situation where he got all the blame and if Toronto ever went on a deep run, Brendan Shanahan (who does what exactly?) would get all the credit. That's why he peaced out, but he chose a job that is also kind of thankless, trying to extend the Penguins' contention window. I don't see how he succeeds there, just seems like he'll be fired in 2-3 years and then who knows where he goes.

Toronto has no choice but to keep trying to get lucky building around Matthews/Nylander. They probably run it back next year, the market for Marner/Tavares will be soft and they control their destinies with NTCs.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Sheldon Keefe would be high on my list as well, they outplayed Boston and got goalied. For having pretty garbage defense they played some air tight hockey.

Unfortunately Pittsburgh will get him first.
Wouldn't that leave us with Sullivan? Even if you think Keefe a better catch, Sullivan would a great get.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That would almost be worth it to see the Bleed meltdown, then again he was almost begging for McClellan because he was worried about Green lol

It'll be this, also RIP to that dude who just passed recently.

It's very easy to dunk on Toronto, they make sure of that, but IMO they've gotten some really rotten luck. A lot of their series they've outplayed the opponents but got torpedoed by goaltending or unpredictable heroics from the other team.

The general philosophy of their team is very similar to the way our team is built, though I think Dubas made some very questionable decisions late in his tenure.

Keefe is a good coach. I wouldn't hate him. I think he'd like an opportunity to play in a more laid back media environment, and it would be a pretty seamless transition in terms of roster fit. He's not my preferred candidate but he makes a bit of sense to me.

Agreed 100%, I think Woodcroft or Keefe dealing with the Canadian media would sign up in a heartbeat to be in NJ. Difference between them coaching in hockey hotbeds versus NJ, our fanbase is passionate but it's nowhere close to those markets obviously. Plus the roster is good and the ceiling is super high for this team

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think Berube with a better lineup could be pretty interesting. His lineups in STL were pretty bland. Also, with Fitz’s input with the coaching staff, I highly doubt our offensive guys would get stifled.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Berube with a better lineup could be pretty interesting. His lineups in STL were pretty bland. Also, with Fitz’s input with the coaching staff, I highly doubt our offensive guys would get stifled.
It is fascinating that most of the choices while clearly better than what we have are all in some way flawed, there's no real slam dunk at least of the ones that are available now. I can basically make arguments for or against Berube, Woodcroft, Keefe, etc. All I care is whoever we hire has more autonomy, structure and is more willing to have accountability for all.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Berube would never be on board with the last part. For better or worse, I can understand that from a head coach not wanting to have upper management meddle with lineups like that. I've been on the Woodcroft train the whole time since last year when he got fired by EDM, I think he wouldn't care as much as opposed to a hard ass vet coach

It is fascinating that most of the choices while clearly better than what we have are all in some way flawed, there's no real slam dunk at least of the ones that are available now.

There's a reason why NHL coaches just go in a merry go round lol

Reactions: NJDevs26

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Keefe checks a lot of boxes. He's won a Memorial Cup. He's won a Calder Cup. Has coached big stars. Is young enough to grow with the team.

Biggest issue is why he didn't go to Woll earlier in the Boston series. What possible reason did he have to wait until they were down 1-3? IMO, he was too patient with his team / trusted them to come through vs pulling the ripcord quickly when things weren't working.

If he comes here, I hope he's learned from that.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I see two expecting outcomes - one is good and other one is awesome.

We will sign Keefe and its good - yeah, Toronto loosing in the forst round
BUT!
A) they played defense VERY WELL. With very good structure. All of their starts were good in all three zones. They lost their first round but they were solid in those series, especially against Tampa and Boston
B) Their depth was very bad, especially defense, but they still were easily play off team.
C) even with very bad goaltending
Keefe is young and his team was played really well.
And if we will sign him - it will be good - he has a lot to build with our team.

If Dubas will sign Keefe - we can sign Sullivan. And it will be awesome.

Not interesting in Berube. Outside SC his track record isnt really good, his stats are meh, his relationships are not good. He can do something interesting in case of using the best sides of the players and we have a lot of good players to use their best sides, but still a lot of red flags.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
1715270910668.png

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
It is fascinating that most of the choices while clearly better than what we have are all in some way flawed, there's no real slam dunk at least of the ones that are available now. I can basically make arguments for or against Berube, Woodcroft, Keefe, etc. All I care is whoever we hire has more autonomy, structure and is more willing to have accountability for all.

This should be plastered above each and every locker next season. Screw the brotherhood garbage.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Rod's situation is weird. Playing into the 2nd round, he may find that all the coaching roles are gone when and if they're knocked out by NYR, and might get the boot from CAR.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I’m warming up to Keefe. Outside of not switching goalies soon enough, did he show any other warts in that series? I have heard that he’s been “out coached” in previous post-seasons but not sure the specifics of that criticism?

Reactions: Guadana

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What exactly was Woll's injury, did he definitely suffer it on the last save in Game 6? Maybe it was something he was playing with before and that's why Keefe was loath to go to him until it was do-or-die?

Reactions: Nubmer6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad