New Head Coach search

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I’m not sure Fitz will get a long leash, if he keeps Green. It would take serious bravado to endorse a guy who had a losing record as interim.

If Fitz keeps Green and the Devils start like they did last season. I can see both getting fired.

New coaches typically get a grace period.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Every organization in the league has a collaborative approach between the coaching staff and front office.
To a degree yes but some it’s a lot more pronounced than others. I don’t think Drury is telling Lavoilette what to do as much as Fitz (or Lou) generally does with his coaches

Reactions: My3Sons

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Keefe would be firmly in my "he gets the results that the roster deserves" group. I don't think there are any retread candidates available that wouldn't.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Keefe would be firmly in my "he gets the results that the roster deserves" group. I don't think there are any retread candidates available that wouldn't.
How many coaches are there that truly squeeze more out of a roster than what it deserves without wearing out his welcome within a couple years? I honestly can't think of any.

Maybe someone like Cooper or Sullivan, but to me they pretty much get expected results out of their group without anything crazy beyond that. They've just been blessed with incredibly talented rosters in the past, but you see that the results fall off as those groups age.

Maybe Cassidy, Evason, and Montgomery?

Reactions: My3Sons

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
How many coaches are there that truly squeeze more out of a roster than what it deserves without wearing out his welcome within a couple years? I honestly can't think of any.

Maybe someone like Cooper or Sullivan, but to me they pretty much get expected results out of their group without anything crazy beyond that. They've just been blessed with incredibly talented rosters in the past, but you see that the results fall off as those groups age.

Exactly what I've thought for a while. Hockey just isn't a sport where coaching alone wins games. Sometimes you get a system that may fit one roster better than another, but that's usually the only way 85% of coaches will impact the results more than a couple points in either direction.

Like you said, there are a few of them that can exceed that mark, but they tend not to last very long. What Fitz needs to ask himself is, "If I hire a guy with a 3 year shelf life does that fit our window? If it doesn't work out, will we still have time for another coach with this group?"

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If Sullivan doesn't work out who else would even qualify as a "big swing?" Quenneville's the only name that comes to mind and I'm sure a lot of people would not be cool with that (at least here and in the organization).

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
If you see on your timeline: Breaking: Devils trade 2024 1st (Lottery Protected) for Jon Cooper.

How do you react? Celebrate, we got an elite coach? Tantrum, we gave up a top-10 pick for a f***ing coach?

• Love
Reactions: BostonDevil

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019

Torts but he isn't available unfortunately

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
If you see on your timeline: Breaking: Devils trade 2024 1st (Lottery Protected) for Jon Cooper.

How do you react? Celebrate, we got an elite coach? Tantrum, we gave up a top-10 pick for a f***ing coach?
Pants = Off

Edit to add: Anyone who doesn't think an elite level coach wouldn't do more for this team than Holtz/Zacha/McLeod/Whoever we get at 10, is insane.

The improvement throughout the roster is worth so much more than one player who will likely fail under a lesser coach anyway.

Cooper is the dream situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: guitarguyvic

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I’d say that’s impossible as the league doesn’t allow it. Get this clickbait off my timeline. :sarcasm:

In a world where this could still happen, it would be an awful idea to trade the pick for a coach.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
If Sullivan doesn't work out who else would even qualify as a "big swing?" Quenneville's the only name that comes to mind and I'm sure a lot of people would not be cool with that (at least here and in the organization).
college coach maybe?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

I'd talk myself into it, even if it's a bad move in a vacuum, "spare no expense" logic with a team on the doorstep I'd be cool with it.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Exactly what I've thought for a while. Hockey just isn't a sport where coaching alone wins games. Sometimes you get a system that may fit one roster better than another, but that's usually the only way 85% of coaches will impact the results more than a couple points in either direction.

Like you said, there are a few of them that can exceed that mark, but they tend not to last very long. What Fitz needs to ask himself is, "If I hire a guy with a 3 year shelf life does that fit our window? If it doesn't work out, will we still have time for another coach with this group?"
Coaches don’t win you games, but they can lose you games.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I’d say that’s impossible as the league doesn’t allow it. Get this clickbait off my timeline. :sarcasm:

In a world where this could still happen, it would be an awful idea to trade the pick for a coach.
oh shit really? well, oops lmao

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm more astonished by Ottawa actually interviewing this guy lol
Well, they are the same team that signed Korpisalo to the worst contract of UFA day last year, among many other extremely dumb moves and one of the worst GM’s in the league of the last decade. So why wouldn’t he want one of the worst head coaches of the last decade?

But then you realize that he isn’t the GM anymore and they have a whole new department of people and ownership as well.

So I got nothing…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad