Proposal: New Head Coach candidate

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
I know some guys who are big into junior hockey. A few years ago they and it seemed multiple others were real big on Bob Boughner. He was a great junior coach, did extremely well on some international teams and then went the assistant route in the NHL. I saw last night he is with SJ now as an assistant. To now add experience with a team that was in the Cup Finals is impressive to me.

I wanted to post this thread last night but it was late after a wesr coast game. Today I am home from the snow and watched The Instigators for the first time ever. On the subject of Jack, Ray mentioned how Boughner handles Brent Burns so well yet in a different approach than other players. He talked about Muckler a little bit but I went immediately to what he said about Boughner and thought how he might be able to have success with our golden child.

What are people's thoughts on bringing the boogieman back here? Also, did something happen that I don't hear his name as much? He seems like he would be a dynamite candidate for us. He even has ties here and was on our conference finals team the year before we went to the Cup Finals. He also seems to have worked with up tempo teams in the past and a number of high scoring players. He also has a very well rounded resume with success at key levels to take the next step. Is there anything holding this guy back?

Last edited:

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
bob boughner coaching a team with cliff pu on it would be enough to give paul hamilton a heart attack

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'd support it. Him or Richardson. I'd take a rookie coach, keep murray for the year and grab another young coach to begin grooming as well just in case.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'd like a first time head coach, one whose worked under a very good head coach or been part of a good team. Any of Chicagos Assistants, John Stevens, Bob Boughner, or whoever else fits that bill.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd like a first time head coach, one whose worked under a very good head coach or been part of a good team. Any of Chicagos Assistants, John Stevens, Bob Boughner, or whoever else fits that bill.

Stevens coached Philly. And Dineen (Hawks assistant) coached Florida.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Someone who doesn't want that ****ing stretch pass to nowhere.

For a guy who hates turnovers...this guy sure preaches a lot of giving the puck away with impossible plays.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Any interest in having Bob Woods take over?

Aside from the successful power play, I have no legitimate data to explain why I feel like he might be a good HC, but just looking at the man's demeanor behind the bench screams head coach to me.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

BU's David Quinn.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
BU's David Quinn.

As long as we're intellectually honest about why he's one of the foremost candidates among Sabre fans - i.e., Make Jack Happy Again (#MJHA). Though I'm sure we'll get pages of prose about his "system" from many posters who largely haven't watched BU since Eichel left and/or from puff pieces on the Internet.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
As long as we're intellectually honest about why he's one of the foremost candidates among Sabre fans - i.e., Make Jack Happy Again (#MJHA). Though I'm sure we'll get pages of prose about his "system" from many posters who largely haven't watched BU since Eichel left and/or from puff pieces on the Internet.

Hire Quinn and trade for Hanifin. #MJHA.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I know he was mentioned, and it might take a LOT for him to leave his job in England, but Ralph Krueger didn't get a far chance with the Oilers, and he worked miracles with the Team Europe World Cup team. Not sure what it would take to get him.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
Any interest in having Bob Woods take over?

Aside from the successful power play, I have no legitimate data to explain why I feel like he might be a good HC, but just looking at the man's demeanor behind the bench screams head coach to me.

But if he is a protege of or at least learning a thing from Bylsma that can't be good and we need to start fresh around here. I'm guessing most folks want a whole new staff, not leftovers from a bad regime. Unless it's a guy who's already been on his own and can claim he is independent of what disco is doing (I'm thinking Murray here) it won't work. As for Murray it sounds like most don't want a retread.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

I don't think that's entirely fair. That's actually what i don't like about him. I don't think a veteran is going to like a coach who had reported friction with Eichel getting fired and replaced by Eichel's former coach. It also puts Eichel in an awkward spot imo.

What I do like is his resume. Head coaching experience in the AHL, leading a relatively new franchise to the playoffs. Assitant coaching at the NHL level. Head coaching experience in College. I like how players have developed under him. McAvoy, Keller, Grzelcyk, Rodrigues, etc.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Someone who doesn't want that ****ing stretch pass to nowhere.

For a guy who hates turnovers...this guy sure preaches a lot of giving the puck away with impossible plays.

yes - thank you. drives me nuts how we just give away possession all the time for nothing

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
But if he is a protege of or at least learning a thing from Bylsma that can't be good and we need to start fresh around here. I'm guessing most folks want a whole new staff, not leftovers from a bad regime. Unless it's a guy who's already been on his own and can claim he is independent of what disco is doing (I'm thinking Murray here) it won't work. As for Murray it sounds like most don't want a retread.

Woods is mostly a protege of Bruce Boudreau - for better or for worse. He was his assistant in WSH and ANA

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I'd think that if anything working under Bylsma, he's learning what doesn't work and what NOT to do.

I mean, I'm just throwing doodoo at the wall and seeing if it sticks, but if Bylsma were to get canned tomorrow and replaced by Woods, I'd be absolutely intrigued for the rest of the year. And yes, I know that's not happening.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

You do realize you're trying to create this agenda out of essentially nothing. Since the poster you're quoting is someone who constantly defends Disco, bashes Murray and knows very little about coaching. He's also the only one in this thread clamoring for Quinn to be the head coach.

So I feel quite comfortable saying he is not pushing the agenda your claiming.

I think you know these things as well if we're being "intellectually honest".

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Have Pegula Buy Dale Hunter the biggest farm in the world to entice him to leave London and come here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad