Speculation: New Goaltending Coach

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
My preferences

Potential new coach
Ed Belfour- Excellent technique, learned from the best, would love to see him back with the team, has spoken about wanting to get back into the game.

Coach out of the game
Jeff Hackett- Worked for Q before, turned Theodore around, had garbage to work with outside of that. Another former Hawk and great guy.

Coach in the game
Ron Tugnutt- Just hired as coach for Team Canada. Always impressed everytime I read him talk about goaltending.

Long Shots
Urpo Ylönen- Legendary goalie coach in Finland, highly doubt he would leave TPS but may as well ask.

Vladislav Tretiak- Thought he did a great job when he was here, would love to see him back in the same way he worked for Chicago before, flying in sporadically. Crawford/Khabby don't really need a full time guy. Like Ylönen though, old and probably happy at home, a pipe dream.

Post your ideas in this thread.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
I would hate Belfour..but that's just because I hate him in general. It's a personal thing.

Me too! The guy saved his worst hockey for the most important times as a Hawk. (eg. playoffs especially vs. Pittsburgh) then he plays light out to win a cup in Dallas. On top of that he always seemed arrogant and crabby.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My preferences

Potential new coach
Ed Belfour- Excellent technique, learned from the best, would love to see him back with the team, has spoken about wanting to get back into the game.

Coach out of the game
Jeff Hackett- Worked for Q before, turned Theodore around, had garbage to work with outside of that. Another former Hawk and great guy.

Coach in the game
Ron Tugnutt- Just hired as coach for Team Canada. Always impressed everytime I read him talk about goaltending.

Long Shots
Urpo Ylönen- Legendary goalie coach in Finland, highly doubt he would leave TPS but may as well ask.

Vladislav Tretiak- Thought he did a great job when he was here, would love to see him back in the same way he worked for Chicago before, flying in sporadically. Crawford/Khabby don't really need a full time guy. Like Ylönen though, old and probably happy at home, a pipe dream.

Post your ideas in this thread.

Pass on Belfour - No need to give 1st job to guy based on his play as player. If Belfour wants to coach lets see him work on it somewhere first

Pass on Hackett - Avs goalies sucked under him ,, A reason why he was fired and not hired by anyone else

Pass on Tugnutt - Only work to date is with Jr goalies and has no connection to Hawks organization

Pass on Ylonen - No interest period ,, No reason to bring in Finn for first time NHL job

Tretiak was not a good goalie coach and the part time nonsense was a joke back then and would be even more so now. Also he is a member of Duma in Russia and wont be leaving

Andrew Allen is most likely target for Hawks (Currently is the Hawks goaltending development coach). No reasont to go hire outside organization

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Agreed. Belfour was a great top 15 all time goalie.

I dont think so. Not unless you just mean the Blackhawks. Not in a world that has known:
Glenn Hall, Plante, Sawchuck, Bower, Roy, Brodeur, Hasek, Tretiak, Dryden, Esposito, Worsley, Fuhr, Billy Smith, Vezina, Vachon, Parent, Broda. Cheevers, Joseph etc.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Did you seriously just list Curtis Joseph among those goalies?

Out of 19 you find fault with one!!!. Yes, I would take Cujo over Belfour. He had some great years especially with the Leafs. Belfour always sucked when the Hawks really needed him.

RomersWorld*

Cheevers
1x NHL All Star
1x Ben Hatskin Award(WHA-best goalie)
1x All WHA 1st Team
2x All WHA 2nd Team
2x Stanley Cup Winner

Belfour
5x NHL All Star
Calder Trophy
2x Vezina Trophy
4x Jennings Trophy
2x All NHL 1st Team
1x All NHL 2nd Team
1x Stanley Cup Winner
Lead NHL in SV% twice
Top 10 SV% six times

Unless you count WHA as the same as NHL....Belfour is clearly ahead IMO.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Cheevers was money-Belfour not so much (as a Hawk). Find fault all you want with a few on my list but for the most part I believe that I made my point.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Elaborate please.

1994/95 lockout season, I was in Windsor,ON at a charity game, decked out in Hawks gear right along the glass. I was 9 years old, and all of the players were going around signing autographs for the kids during the intermission. I was yelling like crazy at Belfour, he passed me a couple of times, but not once did he even acknowledge my presence.

I think Bernie Nicholls heard me/saw me yelling for Belfour, so he came over to me and signed a few autographs for me and I got a picture of him doing so. (Nicholls was a Hawk at the time)

Ever since then I hated Belfour, and never forgave him. I don't care what his excuse was, I was a young kid, wanting his autograph at a charity event and he didn't give me 2 seconds of his time even though I was probably one of the only kids in Hawk gear.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Out of 19 you find fault with one!!!. Yes, I would take Cujo over Belfour. He had some great years especially with the Leafs. Belfour always sucked when the Hawks really needed him.

Belfour is better goalie then several of those listed

I was just pointing out how absurd your list is to even include Joseph

Joseph wasn't even a top 10 from his era IMO

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I always thought Cujo was really good. I would say especially with the Blues. There was more scoring in the NHL then than there was later in his career. I'm not saying where he does or doesn't fit on all-time lists...just that I thought he was a really good goaltender.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Whay about Kelly Hrudey? Seems to be a fine hockey analyst t.v. expsrt commentator...always pinpointing goalies strengths ans weaknesrs...Does the coaching job pay more than the cishey no pressure t.v. gig he has now?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Potential new coach

What, are we collecting alcoholics now?

stahl

Mar 26, 2011

In his career, Cujo made the conference finals twice. Eddie took his teams to 3 stanley cup finals. That's it. He also has a losing playoff record.

Hate on Eddie all you want, the fact of the matter is he is probably the fourth best goalie of his generation behind Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur, and without question a top 15 goalie of all time. He has the accolades to back it up.

stahl

Mar 26, 2011
1994/95 lockout season, I was in Windsor,ON at a charity game, decked out in Hawks gear right along the glass. I was 9 years old, and all of the players were going around signing autographs for the kids during the intermission. I was yelling like crazy at Belfour, he passed me a couple of times, but not once did he even acknowledge my presence.

I think Bernie Nicholls heard me/saw me yelling for Belfour, so he came over to me and signed a few autographs for me and I got a picture of him doing so. (Nicholls was a Hawk at the time)

Ever since then I hated Belfour, and never forgave him. I don't care what his excuse was, I was a young kid, wanting his autograph at a charity event and he didn't give me 2 seconds of his time even though I was probably one of the only kids in Hawk gear.

Is there even a slight possibility that through the roar of other people calling out for autographs he just didn't hear you? I could understand if he acknowledged you and then didn't sign an autograph but you admitted he didn't acknowledge you.

Sir Psycho T

More Cowbell!
Oct 1, 2008
Redwood City, CA
How dare you guys slander Ed Belfour in that manner, it's not like we're talking about a guy who tried to bribe a cop with a billion dolla......... oh, carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad