Equipment: New Goalie skates ( first pair)

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Hi team,

First off all best wishes and I hope your team may have a deep play off run.
I'm reaching out to you to get some advice, please.
After having played 6 years of awesome beer league hockey it's time to get new skates.
As my family extended and my new role is decreasing my ice time I'm looking to use the skate purely recreational. Skating once or twice a week with my son.

Being a goalie pundit since day one, I'm playing with the idea of getting goalie skates.
Price wise they are similar.

Any tips on what to pay attention for.
Is there a big difference between regualr hockey skates and goalie skates?

Thanks

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Hi team,

After having played 6 years of awesome beer league hockey it's time to get new skates.
As my family extended and my new role is decreasing my ice time I'm looking to use the skate purely recreational. Skating once or twice a week with my son.

Being a goalie pundit since day one, I'm playing with the idea of getting goalie skates.

Thanks
Wait, are you going to be playing goalie? Only reason to buy goalie skates is to play goalie. They feel clunky when used for normal skating.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
I'm not going to play goalie. Always played as a forward but a huge goalie fan. New skates will be used twice a week for skating with kids. SO I do not think that they will kill my feet

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I'm not going to play goalie. Always played as a forward but a huge goalie fan. New skates will be used twice a week for skating with kids. SO I do not think that they will kill my feet

Goalie skates to just use at open skates? Just seems like a bad idea to me, If you want to teach your kids (Depending on their ages) on stopping/tight turns/edges it will be a LOT harder to with goalie skates. Hell we have a guy who runs a goalie school at our local rink. He played goalie and works with minor leaguers, college players, and even a goalie for the women's Olympic team. AND he wears regular skates when on the ice helping them.

Reactions: Beezeral

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
It's not that they will kill your feet. It's that goalie skates are made for C cuts and shuffling. AKA skating movements where your feet don't leave the ground. They aren't built for recreational skating. Try and cross over on goalie skates and you will almost certainly end up on your butt.

I get that you are a fan of goalies, but this isn't the way for you to show that fanhood.

Goalie skates to just use at open skates? Just seems like a bad idea to me, If you want to teach your kids (Depending on their ages) on stopping/tight turns/edges it will be a LOT harder to with goalie skates. Hell we have a guy who runs a goalie school at our local rink. He played goalie and works with minor leaguers, college players, and even a goalie for the women's Olympic team. AND he wears regular skates when on the ice helping them.

I coach hockey in goalie skates because it's the only pair I own and it's an absolute pain when I'm not working with goalies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bad idea. You’ll have the turning radius of a city bus and the stopping power of bald tires on a snowy road with goalie skates. And as someone above mentioned, you’ll probably bust your ass if you try to really lean in and crossover in them.

Reactions: Beezeral

ilyazhito

May 15, 2013
Hi team,

Thanks
If you're a fan of goalies, why not learn how to play in goal? Then goalie skates would he necessary.

Goalie is awesome! I enjoy playing it in ball hockey, and am looking to play it on ice.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah. You can't just like cruise around in goalie skates. They're clunky as heck. They make sense for a very specific aspect of the game of hockey. But they're generally pretty terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad