New GM Trades and Signings Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could explain why Comtois and Foote weren't qualified (although you could argue that their output played a large role in that as well). Formenton seems to be a certainty to be on the list.

Definitely the output was a problem but didn't think either would struggle to find work for 775-900k for a year.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Reasonable for a 3rd stringer.

Also means the Matt Murray saga is finally coming to a conclusion.
Stalock had a better year on a worse club. I think he has more upside if required, and at a similar cost. I would hope they at least inquired.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Stalock had a better year on a worse club. I think he has more upside if required, and at a similar cost. I would hope they at least inquired.
Is Stalock the guy we got from SJ a few years ago as a throw-in on a trade and just sent him home? I can't remember if it was him but I remember there being a goalie that that happened to and he was pissed.

If it was him, I'd imagine he would have no interest.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is Stalock the guy we got from SJ a few years ago as a throw-in on a trade and just sent him home? I can't remember if it was him but I remember there being a goalie that that happened to and he was pissed.

If it was him, I'd imagine he would have no interest.
Yeah thats the guy. In fairness to the club he was not very good in SJ right before he came.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Leafs out on Norris Trophy winning defenseman as race appears to be down to 2 teams​

Heading into this summer, we knew there would be some interesting moves made as teams continue to try to offload salary to give themselves some additional cap flexibility.

Earlier this summer, we had heard reports from multiple insiders that confirmed that Leafs GM Brad Treliving had expressed an interest in San Jose Sharks defenseman Erik Karlsson. Per those reports, Treliving had been in contact with the Sharks to determine the cost and to perhaps inquire as to how much of Karlsson's $11.5M cap hit that Sharks GM Mike Grier would be willing to retain.

The Leafs weren't the only team interested, however, as both the Pittsburgh Penguins and Carolina Hurricanes were also in the mix. Well, according to the most recent report by Penguins beat reporter Josh Yohe, the Pens and Hurricanes are the two teams who remain in the mix for Karlsson's services.

View attachment 728298

To be honest, I'm a little surprised to see Kyle Dubas and the Pens as a finalist on Karlsson, as the Pens already have an aging core and not a lot of cap room.

Just my feeling, but I assume this is entirely a Carolina Hurricanes project since they are the only team that has the cap, assets and realistic contender status to land Erik Karlsson. Pittsburgh is a pretender but you get the sense that their media game has hit that new Athletic fuelled level.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Just my feeling, but I assume this is entirely a Carolina Hurricanes project since they are the only team that has the cap, assets and realistic contender status to land Erik Karlsson. Pittsburgh is a pretender but you get the sense that their media game has hit that new Athletic fuelled level.
I said this a bit ago in a more detailed post but, Pens and Canes make no sense to me.

Karlsson-Burns 2.0? Why try it again
Karlsson-Letang - same issue

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I said this a bit ago in a more detailed post but, Pens and Canes make no sense to me.

It has come from multiple sources the Pesce is on his way out. Skej is his usual partner and is better than any LD EK had to play with in San Jose so roster wise I think it could work..

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Dam news is slow right now.

Yall think we have anything significant in the works? Are we done with UFAs?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Maybe a 3-way deal is in the workings here and why both Leafs and Carolina are tied to Karlsson in trade talks. :wg:

To Toronto: Brett Pesce ($ $4,025,000 X 1 year & UFA) and Martin Necas ($ $3,000,000 X 1 year & RFA)
To San Jose: William Nylander (potential sign and trade)
To Carolina: Erik Karlsson (retention amount TBD)

Those being the principles being moved with potentially picks/prospects rounding out the final trade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I agree with you. But think Carolina makes a lot more sense than Pittsburgh all variables like cap, resources, window of contention are factored in. Burns and Karlsson didn’t work well together previously. And I don’t see Karlsson Letang being that smart either since both want to be puck carrying QBs.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Does anyone know if Bertuzzi ever played on the right side?

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi

Sounds f***ing fantastic. Just don’t know if Bertuzzi has/is able to play on the right side?!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Does anyone know if Bertuzzi ever played on the right side?

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi

Sounds f***ing fantastic. Just don’t know if Bertuzzi has/is able to play on the right side?!

He has done it before yes and as recently as the BOS/FLA series.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I kept reading Willie for EK? If trading Willie due to cap reasons, unless Sharks is taking 30% retention, how is that even possible?

Reactions: Buds17

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
It's not. And it is not going to happen. People make stuff up for attention.
It's an EA sports trade.

The fact Dubas is thinking of it apparently is crazy. They want a kick at the can one more time I get it but it seems made up too. Carolina also doesn't seem like a fit.

Not sure where he can go but the retention needed would have to be pretty big... I still think even though he just won the Norris that the return will be underwhelming if it happens.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'm bored trades
to the Ducks, as they arent at the cap min yet

Murray & Brodie &/or Timmins
for
pick/prospect

Blockbuster variety
Scheifele
Samberg
for
Nylander
Brodie
Timmins/Lili
i wanted to add Helle and Samsonov, but, i couldn't get the values to work
Computer kept turning you down eh?

Reactions: Mckay

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
For one year
Lindholm is a ppg player
Yes but the point is that Lindholm doesn't want to be there. If the Flames give Willy the 10M that he wants, he would likely sign it. Getting Nylander for a player that doesn't want to be there is about as good of a get as you will find. Same with the Tkachuk trade last year.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Trying to guess the 5...

Formenton
Comtois
Point
Batherson
Foote

Guys that either fell off hard/struggled in the last year....a lot on their mind perhaps? OR haven't gotten a new contract.
Wasn't it put out there that it was players from the OHL specifically? Or am I wrong?

horner

May 22, 2007
Yes but the point is that Lindholm doesn't want to be there. If the Flames give Willy the 10M that he wants, he would likely sign it. Getting Nylander for a player that doesn't want to be there is about as good of a get as you will find. Same with the Tkachuk trade last year.
Could be wrong but I don't think willly would want to be there long term
He also has a 10 team list
LA I could see him wanting to play there .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad