New gm and scouting staff wishlist?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Chuck Fletcher's work has been very impressive with the Wild - smart free agent signings, and the Wild for a while had the best ranked prospect pool in the league. I don't think he'll be let go anytime soon though - Yeo will be the first to go. He'd be my first choice if given the opportunity.

Doug Armstrong oMichael Futa would also be interesting choices.

Want no part of Chiarelli - he makes an awful lot of dumb moves, but gets bailed out by luck time and time again.

Last edited:

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
GM: Mark Hunter
HC: Dale Hunter

Scouting: Who knows, though I'm sure Hunter could use his scouting connections to put a good team together

I second this, the Hunters built London into a power, with a do anything to win attitude. Don't even care if they cheat Patriot style would love to see that kind of fierce passion in the organization.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Chuck Fletcher's work has been very impressive with the Wild - smart free agent signings, and the Wild for a while had the best ranked prospect pool in the league. I don't think he'll be let go anytime soon though - Yeo will be the first to go. He'd be my first choice if given the opportunity.

Doug Armstrong oMichael Futa would also be interesting choices.

Want to part of Chiarelli - he makes an awful lot of dumb moves, but gets bailed out by luck time and time again.

Futa is certainly the flavour of the season in terms of heat. Chia would be a huge mistake, he got his cup true, but he has had plenty of downs and with Chara nearing his end the Bruins seem to be trending south.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
One thing I feel this team has lacked forever is the ability to develop talent. I loved the Underhill hire for that very reason as it seemed the leafs had begun putting an emphasis on talent development. I think they need to add more of these kinds of pieces.

Like I mentioned earlier I would like them to go after someone like Mike Eaves from Wisconsin to help develop young d-men (his resume in that department is extremely impressive). Add him to the Marlies coaching staff or the general staff under Mark Hunter. This is where the Leafs $$$ should come in handy

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
Nothing wrong with the Leafs amateur scouting department. One of the better ones in the league since Morrison came on board.

But their pro scouting department really needs to be examined, hard. Some of the decisions they've made, especially in free agency, are down to the pro-department which has just been atrocious.

How can you say there's nothing wrong with amateur scouting.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nothing wrong with the Leafs amateur scouting department. One of the better ones in the league since Morrison came on board.

But their pro scouting department really needs to be examined, hard. Some of the decisions they've made, especially in free agency, are down to the pro-department which has just been atrocious.

:facepalm:

The amateur scouts are almost as bad as the pro scouts IMHO. :nod:

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
For me, it is Paul Fenton for GM with Kyle Dubas as his assistant GM and having Mark Hunter being the director of Amateur Scouting and Rick Dudley as the Director of Pro Scouting.

Rick Dudley is the reason Winnipeg has Wheeler, Byfuglien, and Ladd. Plus, he helped build Chicago before that and Tampa's cup team before that.

Maek Hunter has been a pillar in the OHL for a LONG time. It is obvious that he knows a thing or two about young players. He seems like a perfect fit to keep an eye on potential draft choices.

Paul Fenton has been David Poiles #2 for a long time and has helped create Nashville into the team that they are. Ever since he came aboard the Predators have always had a budget that Poile and Fenton had to stay within. Imagine what he could do with bottomless pockets. Plus, he has built the Predators the way a team should be... from the net out.

Also, Dubas will be his right hand man and help evaluate the analytics while gaining experience to potentially succeed Fenton if he ends up being a bad hire.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I don't think Dudley could (or would) leave for a downgrade.

Eh... its a wishlist haha. If everything went smoothly that's what my hope would be.

Shanahan hired Kyle Dubas because he asked quite a few peopke who the next up and comer was and everyone said it was Dubas. So if Shanny is looking for a GM with a nose for how the game is managed now, I wouldn't mind giving Paul Fenton a shot.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

The amateur scouts are almost as bad as the pro scouts IMHO. :nod:

How can you say there's nothing wrong with amateur scouting.

Since 2006 (which I believe was also the year Dave Morrison took over as Director of Amateur Scouting?), only 5 teams have drafted better than the Leafs when it comes to games played by players drafted.

The issue in Toronto for years has been a recklessness when it comes to dealing away draft picks and young players, not with their draft selections themselves. They've been very good in that regard.

Last 8 years? They've been one of the better teams in the league in that department.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

Scouting: Who knows, though I'm sure Hunter could use his scouting connections to put a good team together

That would be my two guys also. Moving forward I don't see a better combination then these two in Toronto. Building a team isn't easy but I can't see any other person out there I would take over Mark Hunter as GM at this stage. People will say experience or lack of is the main reason the wouldn't want him as the GM.

But Personally I just think he's got what it takes to bring this team to where it needs to be. He's a smart hockey guy and if you don't offer him the job you're going to lose him and I think he's going to have a bright future in the NHL as a GM.

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
I have to go with Doug Wilson. He's fantastic. I know the Sharks haven't won a cup, but...........

name one thing that the sharks have done since he was there that you've felt was a terrible decision?

Trading Toskala to leafs, then moving the 13th pick to st. louis and getting the 9th pick in order to get Logan Couture? What a beautiful move.

Pavelksi, Brent Burns, Joe Thornton trade (I don't even know if wilson was there for that). Everything san jose has done has been elite....except they always run into the very best team in the league in the playoffs.

I've never thought of san jose making a terrible move. Chiarelli traded Seguin. Not sure I trust his thought process. Blake wouldn't be my first choice - I trust his lack of experience

Standardly

Apr 7, 2008
Since 2006 (which I believe was also the year Dave Morrison took over as Director of Amateur Scouting?), only 5 teams have drafted better than the Leafs when it comes to games played by players drafted.

The issue in Toronto for years has been a recklessness when it comes to dealing away draft picks and young players, not with their draft selections themselves. They've been very good in that regard.

Last 8 years? They've been one of the better teams in the league in that department.

that's awesome. Have you accumulated point totals of all those drafted players per team and seen where the leafs rank? Just wondering if Stamkos has more points than all the leaf players combined.

It's nice to skew stats in order to favour your positon. I'd rather have any one of: Toews, Stamkos, Doughty, Tavares, Kane, Mackinnon, Jamie Benn, Seguin (and on and on) over every leaf pick since 2006

Rufio65*

My 3 combos in order:

HC: John Tortorella

HC: Mike Keenan
GM: Mike Keenan

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
that's awesome. Have you accumulated point totals of all those drafted players per team and seen where the leafs rank? Just wondering if Stamkos has more points than all the leaf players combined.

It's nice to skew stats in order to favour your positon. I'd rather have any one of: Toews, Stamkos, Doughty, Tavares, Kane, Mackinnon, Jamie Benn, Seguin (and on and on) over every leaf pick since 2006

:laugh:

So because the Leafs haven't had a top 3 pick in recent years, that falls on the scouting department?

Also - how many developmental programs does Steven Stamkos, or Jonathan Toews, outscore on their own?

nice to skew stats in order to favor your position.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

I actually heard, I forget if it was on TSN1050 or 590, that this actually is the plan of Shanny for the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad